Midwifery Students Tribe 2009 - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1527 Old 02-05-2009, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am almost halfway through Helping Hands. I would be past halfway if it was not for DH and I talking for hours on yahoo and then a few minutes on the phone. Of course, I hadn't heard from him in five days and he is out for a week starting tonight. I plan to catch up on what I have missed tomorrow and Saturday.

I have also been "window" shopping for supplies and such. Just having fun.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#302 of 1527 Old 02-06-2009, 12:17 AM

OMG I might be joining this tribe! :

I thought it would be years before I could start my midwifery training but an apprenticeship opportunity seems to be coming my way. After talking about it with my dh and other trusted people in my life, I think I am going to take it if I'm offered, and start learning all I can!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#303 of 1527 Old 02-06-2009, 10:51 AM

Erika- welcome and congrats!!!!

I'm taking one more step- I'm going to do my CBE training the end of march (a requirement of the midwifery program I wish to do), and I'm really excited. Also- teaching will definatly help with funds, which I know I always need, and I'm so excited to have clients through education to birth, I think it'll help me support them even more!

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#304 of 1527 Old 02-06-2009, 12:23 PM

I won't be a student this year. It just isn't happening, and I'm sad about it but I know when the time comes it'll go smoother than this. So what can I do to study on my own until I can start? I have these books; HM 1&2, Understanding DX tests, Varney's, Ina May's Guide & Spiritual midwifery, Birth as an American Right of Passage, Special Delivery, Heart & Hands, Pushed, Daphnee Singtree's workbook, Gentle Birth Choices, Birth without Violence, The Thinking Woman's Guide, and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head. I've already started on the workbook. Any other suggestions on books or self study that don't go with a program but I can do until I can start AAMI next year, thanks!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#305 of 1527 Old 02-06-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post
OMG I might be joining this tribe! :
Congrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingmama05 View Post
Any other suggestions on books or self study that don't go with a program but I can do until I can start AAMI next year, thanks!
Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering; Prescription for Nutritional Healing; and a medical dictionary (or 3) would be my recommendations to add to that collection... you've already made a great start on your library.

And honestly, I'd start working on terminology now, since that's a huge part of any program. What I do is when I'm reading, I keep a stack of index cards as a bookmark, and when I run across a word I'm not familiar with I'll write it down on a card, look it up, write the definition on the card, and then go back to my reading. When I'm done reading I have a stack of cards that need to be filed (I have an index card file box just for terminology). But doing it that way keeps terminology from being so boring, and still allows me to get some reading done.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#306 of 1527 Old 02-06-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

You're planning on doing AAMI? Read Thinking Woman's Guide and take notes. You can read Birth As... and underline what you find interesting. Reading/skimming HM 1&2 parts that you don't understand will help for when you start the HM assignments; the other smaller books go ahead and read if you haven't already as those can go on a reading record. Take notes on what you think you'll need later. You can totally fill a year up with what you have.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#307 of 1527 Old 02-06-2009, 04:18 PM

just wanted to say hi. i went to a (hospital) birth with a local doctor but missed the birth part by a minute (i live out of town and she called me when mom was 10 cm) so next time she's going to call when the mom is 9 cm - ha. of course, it is nothing like homebirth or midwifery care but i'm so grateful for any learning opportunity until i can find a clinical placement with a midwife (which involves relocating/travel, but now is not the time).

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#308 of 1527 Old 02-06-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering; Prescription for Nutritional Healing; and a medical dictionary (or 3) would be my recommendations to add to that collection... you've already made a great start on your library.

And honestly, I'd start working on terminology now, since that's a huge part of any program. What I do is when I'm reading, I keep a stack of index cards as a bookmark, and when I run across a word I'm not familiar with I'll write it down on a card, look it up, write the definition on the card, and then go back to my reading. When I'm done reading I have a stack of cards that need to be filed (I have an index card file box just for terminology). But doing it that way keeps terminology from being so boring, and still allows me to get some reading done.
2 book to add to my growing wish list, thank you! I'm actually a certified medical assistant so I'm pretty good with medical terminology. Even when we did A&P I was slightly obsessed with the female reproductive system, as well as female disorders, but I will definetley brush up! I also have a medical dictionary as well as 2 a&p books and a work book that is just medical terminology. The index card box is an excellent idea. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
You're planning on doing AAMI? Read Thinking Woman's Guide and take notes. You can read Birth As... and underline what you find interesting. Reading/skimming HM 1&2 parts that you don't understand will help for when you start the HM assignments; the other smaller books go ahead and read if you haven't already as those can go on a reading record. Take notes on what you think you'll need later. You can totally fill a year up with what you have.
Yes, and thank you! I've read every book I have except DX test, HM2, and I haven't read the medical dictionary front to back. That would be interesting. Thank you again!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#309 of 1527 Old 02-07-2009, 10:48 AM

So seriously how do you join this tribe? I have to search for it every time I want to check up on posts? I have posted several times. And how do you make is so it posts your signature? And how do you add all the fun things to your signature?. It said it wasn't allowed when I tried.
D

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#310 of 1527 Old 02-07-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

You have to subscribe to the thread. Go to UserCP way at the top of the page. Then click Edit Options. Then in the second section, Messaging and Notifications, you want to change from Do not subscribe to whatever choice you want. Most people do No email notification as it doesn't email you with updates but whenever you log in just go to Quick Links and then Subscribed threads and it gives you a list of all of your posted in threads.

As for editing your signature, there are rules to it, like only 2 lines, and not more than 8 icons.

Hope that helps, and welcome!

#311 of 1527 Old 02-07-2009, 04:22 PM

Hello everyone!

I have just started the application process to Birthingway College of Midwifery in Portland, OR. I've been contemplating midwifery since the birth of my son and the past year been seriously pursuing how to go about it. In June of 08 I took my Labor Doula workshop which was wonderful.

I am really hoping to go to the Midwifery Today Conference in Eugene, but am looking for possible roomates. So if you are going and looking then please let me know. I promise I don't snore.
#312 of 1527 Old 02-07-2009, 04:37 PM

I suppose I should add that I've had three natural, drug free births. Two in a hospital and one at a birth center. Though I have to say that I loved aspects of all three, the one at the birth center is probably the one that solidified my desire to become a midwife.
#313 of 1527 Old 02-07-2009, 07:48 PM

welcome Veronica!

I wish I could go to the confrence, but it's hard to get all the way over there!

#314 of 1527 Old 02-07-2009, 09:07 PM

Completebeginnings~ As for smilies, you can only have 2 until you get more than 50 posts.

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#315 of 1527 Old 02-07-2009, 10:49 PM

surromommy, I'm trying to make it affordable for me to go to the midwifery today conference, and part of that is having a roommate. I'd definitely be interested in sharing a room, if I can get the other bits lined up. I sent you a pm.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#316 of 1527 Old 02-07-2009, 10:56 PM

Magelet,

I didn't get the PM, how weird. You can email me at kandrinchae at hotmail dot com though. I'm planning on going for the full five days.
#317 of 1527 Old 02-07-2009, 11:03 PM

you sure you didn't get it? I just sent it a moment ago.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#318 of 1527 Old 02-08-2009, 12:32 AM

AAMI Students, please help!

I am leaving Monday or Tuesday on a 3 day drive down to TX and I am really struggling to figure out what to bring to work on for AAMI. I am bringing my Prepak and
Helping Hands, obviously, but I am not sure what other books I should bring. Any thoughts???? Below is a list of the books I own. Please HELP!

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin
Varney's Nurse-Midwifery (1st ed)
Choosing Waterbirth by Michel Odent
Herbal for the Childbearing Year by Susan Weed
The Baby Book by Dr Sears
Baby Catcher by Peggy Vincent
The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin
Birth: The Surprising History of How We Are Born by Tina Cassidy
Born in the USA by Marsden Wagner
Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn by Penny Simkin
Maternal-infant Bonding by Marshal Klaus & John Kennel
Handbook of Maternal-Newborn Nursing by Kathleen Buckley & Nancy W.
Kulb
Listening to Your Hormones by Gillian Ford
Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering by Dr Sarah J Buckley
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer
Creating Your Birth Plan by Marsden Wagner, M.D., M.S.
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by LLL
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
Basic Maternity Nursing by Persis Mary Hamilton

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#319 of 1527 Old 02-08-2009, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Well the first ones you'll need to do through Orientation would be Thinking Woman's GUide, Born in the USA, and Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering. For pure entertainment, Baby Catcher or Red Tent.

#320 of 1527 Old 02-08-2009, 11:48 AM

Well, I am not in Orientation yet, but should I bring those anyway? I am just preparing to start on my Prepak stuff...

#321 of 1527 Old 02-08-2009, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

well it all depends on how long you'll be gone and what you'll be doing; a lot of prepack stuff is not easy (IMO) to do on the road whereas reading can be done anywhere (unless you're doing the driving); I don't see any books on your list that can cover the prepack requirements unless you want to choose your articles and print them out for reading.

#322 of 1527 Old 02-08-2009, 05:28 PM

Alright ladies, my brain is fried thanks to AF and a migraine. I am trying to find the definitions for subjective data and objective data. Of course the medical dictionaries I have online don't have those exact terms. What would you define them as. I have an idea of what they mean, would just like other opinions cause like I said, brain is fried. TIA!

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#323 of 1527 Old 02-08-2009, 05:29 PM

I will be driving for 3 days, to get down there, then will be staying put for 6 weeks before getting back on the road to drive home.

#324 of 1527 Old 02-09-2009, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

6 weeks, I'd print out all my articles for those assignments and bring books for orientation to read. It won't cover the prepack assignments but it'll put you further ahead for the next section and the prepack can be done when you get back. That's what I'd do.

#325 of 1527 Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the advice, MamaRabbit! That is probably what I will do. I really appreciate the help!

#326 of 1527 Old 02-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLuna Rayne View Post
Alright ladies, my brain is fried thanks to AF and a migraine. I am trying to find the definitions for subjective data and objective data. Of course the medical dictionaries I have online don't have those exact terms. What would you define them as. I have an idea of what they mean, would just like other opinions cause like I said, brain is fried. TIA!
I would define them as, subjective data being data that comes from the client (the subject) Example she tells you she has pain that is short, sharp and happens more when she gets up or moves in bed too quickly.

Objective data is information that I observe and gather. Example, I witness her having one of these pains, I see where she reaches to touch, i see her grimace, etc.

between the two types of data i conclude it could very well be round ligament pain and we start to discuss it further.

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#327 of 1527 Old 02-09-2009, 07:58 PM

Hi Ladies...need to pick your brain for a moment...

I would like to ask two homebirth/hospital birth midwives (CNMs) in a local practice if they would consider allowing me to shadow them for a week or so. I am unsure what the protocol is though. Should I email or should I call? I tried to call today but their office is closed. I didn't leave a message though. If you are a midwife, how would you like to be approached?

I am currently applying to a Master's Entry CNM program and so I'd like to see how they run their practice on a daily basis. I am not asking them for an apprenticeship (although they do have both CNM and CPM apprentices) but just a week to shadow them.

Any advice is much appreciated.
#328 of 1527 Old 02-09-2009, 10:17 PM

I would prefer a call of an actual letter- although a well written and spell checked email wouldn't rule someone out. I would expect the person asking to have some birth experience beyond theirselves, and CPR/NPR as well.

#329 of 1527 Old 02-09-2009, 10:19 PM

so ladies- what are you reading right now? We haven't asked this one in a while.

I'm reading The Newborn Mother- a little older, but still interesting. Bonus in that it only cost me 10cents at the library! http://www.amazon.com/Newborn-Mother...4228746&sr=1-1

#330 of 1527 Old 02-10-2009, 12:02 AM

Hey, Ladies!

I usually lay pretty low unless I have something to offer or ask, but I read almost every day and enjoy learning from everyone. Anyways, I have a question. My preceptor and I live a decent distance from one another and only see each other at prenatals or births. If I want to know when she has prenatals scheduled, I call and ask and update my calendar. Which is fine and I am happy to do it if that's what works best. However, I realize appointments can change at any time which would require another phone call and honestly, being online is far easier than phone time for me. So finally my question...does anyone use or know of an online calendar or scheduling type system we could use? You know, a calendar where several people could access it from wherever and add or change appointments? I really feel like this could work well if I could find it and get her onboard with it.

I am currently reading HM VI when I get 2 seconds to myself. How does everyone else make time for reading?!? I have 2 kids I homeschool and a husband who works nights which would work well for alone time if I had a baby that ever slept. I guess I'll get it worked out one day.

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page