Midwifery Students Tribe 2009 - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#361 of 1527 Old 02-12-2009, 02:13 PM
 
cristeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I've gotta ask. How on earth do all you ladies with children find time for schoolwork? I don't have kids yet, and I struggle to find time. There's always something else that needs to be done, and my schoolwork always gets pushed to the side to do it. If I sit down to read a book, the phone/doorbell rings, if I'm trying to write a paper, then DH is talking to me, or my mind is thinking that I really need to be getting dinner in the oven. I cannot get ANY work done if DH is home, he's far too distracting. Last night was the first night in ages I've actually managed to get any reading done, and that was only because I got frustrated enough to go to bed early with a book. But most of the time when I try that it backfires because I'll fall asleep after a single paragraph.

I could really use some tips on making this work. I really need to get a good chunk done before this baby comes.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

cristeen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#362 of 1527 Old 02-12-2009, 02:30 PM
 
ScarletBegonias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perched on the Cheesewheel of Doom
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thank you all for your opinions, feelings and experiences on the whole doula/mw at a uc situation. my client is also a friend. i've been reflecting on our last conversation more and i think calling me her "not licensed yet" mw is a tactic to get family/friends off her back. i say this with a lot of certainty due to a specific conversation she told me she had with an old friend of hers.

nevertheless, i will be speaking to her about this. because although i feel in my heart, after much thinking/reflecting, that she trusts my ability as labor support, she may not understand where my limitations lie and i can't be called an unlicensed mw, for any reason.

we have also discussed responsibility and she wants to own the responsiblity on this. but again, i do feel that maybe she is using me as backup for the situations she may not forsee as needing to own responsibility for, kwim?

we're all having dinner together in 2 weeks and i'm sure our conversation will be turned to her upcoming birth, so i'll discuss it with her then.
ScarletBegonias is offline  
#363 of 1527 Old 02-12-2009, 02:45 PM
 
ScarletBegonias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perched on the Cheesewheel of Doom
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Ok, I've gotta ask. How on earth do all you ladies with children find time for schoolwork? I don't have kids yet, and I struggle to find time. There's always something else that needs to be done, and my schoolwork always gets pushed to the side to do it. If I sit down to read a book, the phone/doorbell rings, if I'm trying to write a paper, then DH is talking to me, or my mind is thinking that I really need to be getting dinner in the oven. I cannot get ANY work done if DH is home, he's far too distracting. Last night was the first night in ages I've actually managed to get any reading done, and that was only because I got frustrated enough to go to bed early with a book. But most of the time when I try that it backfires because I'll fall asleep after a single paragraph.

I could really use some tips on making this work. I really need to get a good chunk done before this baby comes.
i have a high need 3 yo dd and a 1 yo ds. they are both still nursing. and my dh is disabled and home all the time. my dd has never taken naps, but fortunately i can busy her with coloring, etc.,. and she is super into pretend play/dress up and pretty much can play on her own. ds will take naps and he is an oh-so-easy baby. my kids go to bed around midnight and are up about 9. i can't bring myself to get up before they do because A: they will wake up when i do and B: i'm just not a morning person.

between errands, housework and making food for a family that is constantly hungry, it's a challenge to find the time. i kick myself everyday that i didn't start this like 9 years ago. anyway, that's beside the point!

here's when i do schoolwork:

after kids go to bed
when ds is napping
when everyone has been fed and is occupied playing

when ds is being clingy, i put him in the ergo and do housework, so that when he's happy i can do schoolwork and not worry about how i should be cleaning this or that.

that's about it. if i take every opportunity throughout the day, i can get in 2-5 hours of study. a 5 hour day is rare though. usually i get in about 1-3 hours a day.

i'm not sure if that's helpful, but there it is!
ScarletBegonias is offline  
#364 of 1527 Old 02-12-2009, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
 
MamaRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: FL transplanted in Asia
Posts: 4,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a maid/nanny. For about an hour in the morning, she'll play with the kids while I study. Then she watches the babies while I take DS out to play. Then in the afternoon, if he's not napping she might take him out on his bike or I take him out. Or we take turns as he'd stay out all day and I have studying and she has cleaning or whatever to do. For the most part I really want to play with my kids but I figure 2 hr more or less with someone else isn't bad (plus they hear a different language). That 2 hours is constantly broken up by odds and ends that kids do, but I try. And then in the evening I try to push through another 2 hours.

I really only average 2.5 hr a day because I find plenty of other things to do. It's an ideal situation and I am so so so thankful I live where it's cheap to hire someone to help me in the home, and with twins over the past 1.5 yr with no help I'd have probably gotten PPD again. And now I have the freedom to take one child out at a time and give better one-on-one attention and not feel guilty that I'm ignoring them to pursue my dream.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

MamaRabbit is offline  
#365 of 1527 Old 02-12-2009, 03:53 PM
 
CanidFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Ok, I've gotta ask. How on earth do all you ladies with children find time for schoolwork? I don't have kids yet, and I struggle to find time. There's always something else that needs to be done, and my schoolwork always gets pushed to the side to do it. If I sit down to read a book, the phone/doorbell rings, if I'm trying to write a paper, then DH is talking to me, or my mind is thinking that I really need to be getting dinner in the oven. I cannot get ANY work done if DH is home, he's far too distracting. Last night was the first night in ages I've actually managed to get any reading done, and that was only because I got frustrated enough to go to bed early with a book. But most of the time when I try that it backfires because I'll fall asleep after a single paragraph.

I could really use some tips on making this work. I really need to get a good chunk done before this baby comes.
it’s tough for sure. Especially since I just took on doula work and am now having 2-3 appointments a week on top of my full time job and self study midwife stuff AND my CBI CBE course : then I add on all my LLL meetings, birth network meetings, hanging out with friends, etc and my life is one crazy life Also, don't judge me but my house is incredibly messy. Just not a priority for me

I seriously don’t know how I do it Since my son didn’t sleep for more than an hour for 15 months of his life, I have adjusted to go go go with little rest. I typically get up at 6:30 and go to work. Get home at 5pm and play with DS, cook, clean, etc. DS goes to bed at 7:30pm and I do all my studying/reading from 7:30pm-9 or 10 or 11 or whenever I call it quits. I don’t study every night though. Maybe 2 times a week. I also do things on the weekend during DS’s nap which can last 45min-2 hours. So in total, I dedicate about 5-6 hours a week to reading or studying either in midwifery or CBE stuff.

Plus I do my CBE assignments and reading at work during lunch. So that gets 5 hours a week.

Sat and Sun is strictly dedicated to my son. He goes where I go and we hang out all weekend.

Not sure if that helped...
CanidFL is offline  
#366 of 1527 Old 02-12-2009, 03:59 PM
 
completebeginnings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Ok, I've gotta ask. How on earth do all you ladies with children find time for schoolwork? I don't have kids yet, and I struggle to find time. There's always something else that needs to be done, and my schoolwork always gets pushed to the side to do it. If I sit down to read a book, the phone/doorbell rings, if I'm trying to write a paper, then DH is talking to me, or my mind is thinking that I really need to be getting dinner in the oven. I cannot get ANY work done if DH is home, he's far too distracting. Last night was the first night in ages I've actually managed to get any reading done, and that was only because I got frustrated enough to go to bed early with a book. But most of the time when I try that it backfires because I'll fall asleep after a single paragraph.

I could really use some tips on making this work. I really need to get a good chunk done before this baby comes.


Hmm..well I definitely don't study as much as I should. For me I think the main culprit is the computer actually. But really to tell you all the truth I think book learning is important but I learn so much more when I am apprenticing. I had been reading about herbs but I was having a hard time getting anything to stick. Last night we had a birth and I handeled everything 3rd stage related. Placenta was retained for 90 min pp and I got to deal with the herbs. I now feel very comfortable with them and have no problems remembering dosages etc. for this issue. I think many things are like that. I will reatain the information after I see the problem but I still plan on studying hoping it sticks.
I study early in the morning. My 3 year old usually is up around 5 or 6. I usually do some one on one preschool with him and then it gives me at least 1 hour to study. I fit the rest in when I can and try to read at least 1 page before bed every night. It is really hard. I have dd6,ds3,ds2, and a new one on the way and I homeschool so I just do the best I can. My preceptor is great and a good teacher so that helps a lot. Licensure isn't required in my state so the studying and school is just for me really. Plus my program is not difficult. It is Midwife to Be. I have already been a doula and CBE for 6 years plus have a preceptor so a lot of the stuff dosen't apply but it does keep me committed on doing a little bit every day which is the reason I signed up. Wanted to do AAMI but it was not a financial option for me. I won't put my family into debt for my career.
You will figure it out. Do you work another job?

.
Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

completebeginnings is offline  
#367 of 1527 Old 02-12-2009, 06:41 PM
 
DoomaYula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to be starting MTB in April, but right now I'm doing Aviva's online CBE program, auditing a CB class, doula-ing, and starting my apprenticeship. And I have four kids.

My older ones are in school/preschool, so I try to study while my baby is napping. Or, like right now I'm taking a break from CBE studying, which I was doing while my kids are all occupied with coloring and writing letters and napping.

Also, usually when my dh comes home I pass the kids to him for primary care (he does bath and bedtime) and I do some studying while they're doing that.

It's hard. I follow FlyLady (don't laugh!) I do not follow it religiously, but it's a good start. I told myself I'd try it for a month, but I'm on month four now. My house is pretty tidy.

I plan to start homeschooling next year. The biggest problem I have now is feeling guilty when I'm away from my kids (since they're gone all day at school/preschool). So next year, when I'm with them all the time, hopefully I won't mind if I'm gone for a day or two, or several nights a week.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
DoomaYula is offline  
#368 of 1527 Old 02-12-2009, 06:45 PM
 
kimiij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have great news! I will be shadowing the midwives for two days next week! I am so excited! I called this afternoon and the office manager answered the phone. She said that the midwife hadn't had a chance to read the letter yet but that the office manager had seen it. Then I guess the midwife walked up and the office manager showed her my letter and said that they'd love to have me come in. So, I'm really happy it all worked out and that I get a chance to do this
kimiij is offline  
#369 of 1527 Old 02-12-2009, 08:59 PM
 
ScarletBegonias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perched on the Cheesewheel of Doom
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hooray kimiij!!!!!!
that deserves a little dance!

:
ScarletBegonias is offline  
#370 of 1527 Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 PM
 
Peppamint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Not here
Posts: 12,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kimiij- that's great! Tell us about it when you're done.

Today I sat in on a consultation with a prospective client/couple- 2.5 hours! The time just flew while we visited and talked. I just love midwifery.

As for childcare- I absolutely could not do this without my family's support. Dh picks up the slack when he can (he works 40 hr/wk) and my mom babysits if I need to go to appts or a birth M-F during the day. It would be hard for me if I had to put my kids in daycare, esp now that my two oldest are school-aged. In fact, I'm not even sure if daycares take older kids? Even my dad and brother help sometimes by picking up lunch for mom and the kids or helping to get my 8yo to an orthodontist appt when I'm called to a birth 2 hours away.

As for getting things done... I decided to aim for 2-4 days of studying every day in February and it requires letting my kids spend more time on the computer/tv... and dh took over all the laundry for the month. The house isn't as neat and clean as it usually is (not that it's pristine, but I try to keep up).

It's by no means easy... in my case I rely heavily on the support of my family. I don't see a midwife lasting without it, in all honesty.
Peppamint is offline  
#371 of 1527 Old 02-12-2009, 09:46 PM
 
rebirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that is awesome Kimiij!

Cristeen- I have the same problem- I think I just need to set more time, computer-less- to just studying.

For me, since I tend to have lots of anxiety/a high stress level I take a nice bath and bring a book with me, about 30 minutes of peacefull reading. I also keep a book in the car, and if I am early I read for a few minutes. I also have had serious talks with my husband- he is bad for my studying as well, and our talks has made his more respectful, if only a little.

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

rebirth is offline  
#372 of 1527 Old 02-13-2009, 05:26 PM
 
cristeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for all the insight, ladies!

I'm really trying to work on this, but there's a million and one things that need to be done, and schoolwork is only one of them. I really have to work on making it the priority over all those other things.

So, next question.

For those of you practicing/apprenticing already... what is your protocol for addressing RH- status in moms? I ask because I'm - and DH is +, so of course the subject of Rhogam has already come up with the dr. Our son was + and I had the shot after he was born and tested. Because of the circumstances of his birth I hadn't had a chance to do any research, and I was just too wiped to care at that point (I did make them test him first, though). I'm just not sure what my options are, as I haven't done that research yet, and really don't even know where to look. And TBH the subject never came up with midwives I interviewed, so I don't even know if HBMW even have the ability to administer it. If any of you know where/what book I can look up some information in, that would be great.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

cristeen is offline  
#373 of 1527 Old 02-13-2009, 05:35 PM
 
Peppamint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Not here
Posts: 12,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Thank you for all the insight, ladies!

I'm really trying to work on this, but there's a million and one things that need to be done, and schoolwork is only one of them. I really have to work on making it the priority over all those other things.

So, next question.

For those of you practicing/apprenticing already... what is your protocol for addressing RH- status in moms? I ask because I'm - and DH is +, so of course the subject of Rhogam has already come up with the dr. Our son was + and I had the shot after he was born and tested. Because of the circumstances of his birth I hadn't had a chance to do any research, and I was just too wiped to care at that point (I did make them test him first, though). I'm just not sure what my options are, as I haven't done that research yet, and really don't even know where to look. And TBH the subject never came up with midwives I interviewed, so I don't even know if HBMW even have the ability to administer it. If any of you know where/what book I can look up some information in, that would be great.
All three of the midwives I work with (all illegal at this time, two of them will be legal if our legislation passes) administer Rhogam within 72 hours of the birth *if the baby has a positive blood type*. If the baby is negative, Rhogam isn't administered. The fee for it is separate from the birth fee, and I think a few clients on medicaid have gone to the backup OB so that it would be covered by the insurance. At this time, I lean towards the same protocol.

I'm not sure if FL midwives can administer Rhogam or not, I would assume so though.

Sometime soon I'd like to get my hands on a copy of Sarah Wickham's book, Anti-D in Midwifery.
Peppamint is offline  
#374 of 1527 Old 02-13-2009, 05:53 PM
 
CanidFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Thank you for all the insight, ladies!

I'm really trying to work on this, but there's a million and one things that need to be done, and schoolwork is only one of them. I really have to work on making it the priority over all those other things.

So, next question.

For those of you practicing/apprenticing already... what is your protocol for addressing RH- status in moms? I ask because I'm - and DH is +, so of course the subject of Rhogam has already come up with the dr. Our son was + and I had the shot after he was born and tested. Because of the circumstances of his birth I hadn't had a chance to do any research, and I was just too wiped to care at that point (I did make them test him first, though). I'm just not sure what my options are, as I haven't done that research yet, and really don't even know where to look. And TBH the subject never came up with midwives I interviewed, so I don't even know if HBMW even have the ability to administer it. If any of you know where/what book I can look up some information in, that would be great.
Unless there is an incident where the potential to mix blood is there like a fall, car accident, etc. there is no need to give Rhogam until after the birth if the baby tests +. I'm not even sure where I read that know but that is my preceptors policy as well. Make sure to specify the mercury free version as well since there are different types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post

I'm not sure if FL midwives can administer Rhogam or not, I would assume so though.
Yes, they are able to.
CanidFL is offline  
#375 of 1527 Old 02-13-2009, 05:59 PM
 
Peppamint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Not here
Posts: 12,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, I was going to add- I will of course have a waiver for parents who don't wish to even receive the postpartum dose of Rhogam. It's their choice.

Have you searched the archives here at MDC? Some interesting threads.
Peppamint is offline  
#376 of 1527 Old 02-14-2009, 11:26 AM
 
636Jen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you who used to post up at MT, the forums are back up and active again! Woohoo!



:

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
636Jen is offline  
#377 of 1527 Old 02-14-2009, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
 
MamaRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: FL transplanted in Asia
Posts: 4,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I noticed that yesterday... very exciting!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

MamaRabbit is offline  
#378 of 1527 Old 02-14-2009, 01:34 PM
 
BellaLuna Rayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: In My Dreams
Posts: 1,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't even notice that they had a forum over there. I just joined.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
BellaLuna Rayne is offline  
#379 of 1527 Old 02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
 
completebeginnings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I have two things I hope you ladies can help me with
1- I need to come up with a 1 page hand out to give to students/clients with information of the pros and cons of immunization. Any one know of any precise papers/articles/stuff you did out there. I have chosen no to vax and want my clients to know their options but I find most information either too pro or con and it just turns most people off.

2-Any on know where there is a list of medical terminology that midwives should know online? I was premed/nursing in college so I took anatomy,biology, med. term. etc. but that was a while ago and my course doesn't really give a list of terms we should know. I am not to worried I just want to cover my bases.

Thanks ahead of time. I know you guys can help we with this.

.
Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

completebeginnings is offline  
#380 of 1527 Old 02-17-2009, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
 
MamaRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: FL transplanted in Asia
Posts: 4,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just like my Stedman's medical dictionary. It's an easy one to browse

As for vax, I used this for a while for my CBE classes, and it comes from an MDC post called: A commonsense guide to determining if vaccinations are right for your child

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

MamaRabbit is offline  
#381 of 1527 Old 02-17-2009, 05:50 PM
 
CanidFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post
So I have two things I hope you ladies can help me with
1- I need to come up with a 1 page hand out to give to students/clients with information of the pros and cons of immunization. Any one know of any precise papers/articles/stuff you did out there. I have chosen no to vax and want my clients to know their options but I find most information either too pro or con and it just turns most people off.

2-Any on know where there is a list of medical terminology that midwives should know online? I was premed/nursing in college so I took anatomy,biology, med. term. etc. but that was a while ago and my course doesn't really give a list of terms we should know. I am not to worried I just want to cover my bases.

Thanks ahead of time. I know you guys can help we with this.
I really need to make some kind of handout but I feel like it’s soooo much info to pack into 1 sheet you know? I don’t want parents to not research because they judged and based an opinion on what I wrote. Maybe suggest books instead? Or keep Dr. Tenpenny’s video on hand to let clients borrow?

Ladies, I am having a nervous attack again about school in August. I did the budget again today and the amount of debt I’m going to be going into ($40K) over 3 years is making me sick. I really want to do this and I know I am going to do this but I start to doubt myself. Like what if I can’t get clients? Or what if by the time I graduate there are so many midwives in my area that I am really not needed. Or what if I don't make a good midwife? Uggghhh this is so tough.
CanidFL is offline  
#382 of 1527 Old 02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
 
rebirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
candid- it sounds like you're having some serious doubts! *hug*

I wouldn't go into it unless you're 100% sure it's what you want... maybe more thought process/research is needed.

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

rebirth is offline  
#383 of 1527 Old 02-17-2009, 08:12 PM
 
kimiij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had such a great day!!!!!

I had a great day shadowing the midwives. I shadowed one of the head midwives (a CNM) and her apprentice midwife (a CPM student). It. was. fabulous. I got to see so much- got to see a pap smear, sweeping the membranes, blood draws, prenatal exams, using a fetoscope, using a doppler, etc. I got there at 9:30 in the morning and stayed until 4PM. When I got out of my car I followed the pregnant couple that was walking toward the building b/c I figured they were going to where I was going and they knew the way . All of the expecting moms were so gracious in letting me see everything - not one of them said no. I felt so honored to be there and to get this learning experience. It was great to see the relaxed atmosphere and to see how the main midwife taught and interacted with the apprentice midwife. Both of the women were such nice, inviting women and they really wanted to talk to me about any questions I had from the day. Even the office manager was gracious with teaching me how things went in the office. I was able to see their routine with women from 10wk + 3 days all the way up to 40wk + 4 days. So I'll go back on Thursday and hopefully I'll be able to see even more then

On my way to my car after leaving the practice I listened to my voicemail and I was offered a job at a company that I interviewed at around 2 weeks ago! Some background info: I quit my job about 10 days ago (horrible, horrible place) and I didn't have any income lined up already (I am normally not someone to not have a plan so it says a lot about the job that I left without a new job lined up). But, it's great that I've been able to find something so quickly- esp. since I almost lost hope on that job b/c I hadn't heard back from them.

On my way home, I was on such a high...Then I found a letter waiting on the stairs leading to my apartment that informed that I .....

Got into the Graduate Entry Nurse-Midwifery Program!!! AGGHHHH! I have been impatiently waiting for almost a week for their decision. I have gone from being sure that I was going to get in to completely depressed about what I thought would be a rejection. I also got a merit scholarship! I will find out about need-based aid in a couple weeks as well so hopefully my loans won't be too outrageous.

So that was my wonderful day.

This day was such a blessing. Truly.
kimiij is offline  
#384 of 1527 Old 02-17-2009, 08:13 PM
 
completebeginnings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
I really need to make some kind of handout but I feel like it’s soooo much info to pack into 1 sheet you know? I don’t want parents to not research because they judged and based an opinion on what I wrote. Maybe suggest books instead? Or keep Dr. Tenpenny’s video on hand to let clients borrow?

Ladies, I am having a nervous attack again about school in August. I did the budget again today and the amount of debt I’m going to be going into ($40K) over 3 years is making me sick. I really want to do this and I know I am going to do this but I start to doubt myself. Like what if I can’t get clients? Or what if by the time I graduate there are so many midwives in my area that I am really not needed. Or what if I don't make a good midwife? Uggghhh this is so tough.

I hear you on the doubts..

I think it is pretty normal. I know that I am lucky that I live in a state where licensure in not mandatory and you can sit for the NARM at anytime so the majority of midwives here do no schooling. I have chosen for me that getting in debt would not be worth it for our family. Midwives aren't paid a lot here($1000-$2000 per clients if you can actually get paid in this economy). We are also carrying tremendous debt($90,000) of student loans from my dh law school. I know I will never be busy enough to count as full time. It would do my family no good to go into debt for my work. I am privileged to have an amazing preceptor and am attending a very cheap(although not as in depth) school.

Is this school your only option? Do you have to go to school or can you just apprentice?
How long have you wanted to do this?

I know it is hard and there are lots of reasons to freak out for us all

Good luck! I am always stressing that it is too much so we will see where I turn out as well.

.
Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

completebeginnings is offline  
#385 of 1527 Old 02-17-2009, 08:30 PM
 
kimiij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
Ladies, I am having a nervous attack again about school in August. I did the budget again today and the amount of debt I’m going to be going into ($40K) over 3 years is making me sick. I really want to do this and I know I am going to do this but I start to doubt myself. Like what if I can’t get clients? Or what if by the time I graduate there are so many midwives in my area that I am really not needed. Or what if I don't make a good midwife? Uggghhh this is so tough.
That is tough.

What kinds of loans will these be? Will they be private loans? Will they be federal loans? If they are federal you can do income-based repayment plans. Can you do any other kind of financing? Can you do doula work to help pay as you go?

Is this the only school you can go to? I know that you have your plans set already for August but there are other really affordable midwifery schools out there...it might be worth it to seriously consider looking into those schools. Have you looked into the National College of Midwifery? I looked into NCM when I was still shopping around and they were pretty affordable.

Don't go if you're heart isn't in it. But, it sounds like it's still something you want to do. I wouldn't let loans stop you from going to midwifery school b/c there are affordable ways to do it.

If it makes you feel any better- I will have tons more loans than you when I graduate... The only way I can sleep at night is by knowing that the government will likely be paying them off after 2-3 years of service.
kimiij is offline  
#386 of 1527 Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 PM
 
Peppamint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Not here
Posts: 12,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
Ladies, I am having a nervous attack again about school in August. I did the budget again today and the amount of debt I’m going to be going into ($40K) over 3 years is making me sick. I really want to do this and I know I am going to do this but I start to doubt myself. Like what if I can’t get clients? Or what if by the time I graduate there are so many midwives in my area that I am really not needed. Or what if I don't make a good midwife? Uggghhh this is so tough.
I haven't made an infosheet on Vaccines yet, and maybe I won't... I do have Sears' Vaccine Book in my library and plan to add a couple more before I start taking on my own midwifery clients.

I'm sorry you're in such a fix... I really hate to hear of states that require MEAC because it can be so cost-prohibitive. I know you really don't have a choice because of where you live, I'm sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiij View Post
I had such a great day!!!!!
That sounds like an absolutely fabulous day- I love days like that!

I just got word that the couple from last week's consultation hired us so that's another birth coming up soon. :
Peppamint is offline  
#387 of 1527 Old 02-17-2009, 10:50 PM
 
CanidFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirth View Post
candid- it sounds like you're having some serious doubts! *hug*

I wouldn't go into it unless you're 100% sure it's what you want... maybe more thought process/research is needed.
Thanks. I have thought about it more and I don't doubt this is what I want to do and what I am called to do. I KNOW I will make a good midwife. It's more of the money that is bothering me. Got your PM...thanks. I will write more tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiij View Post
I had such a great day!!!!!
Wow, that day sounds soooo awesome! I am so happy for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post
I hear you on the doubts..

I think it is pretty normal. I know that I am lucky that I live in a state where licensure in not mandatory and you can sit for the NARM at anytime so the majority of midwives here do no schooling. I have chosen for me that getting in debt would not be worth it for our family. Midwives aren't paid a lot here($1000-$2000 per clients if you can actually get paid in this economy). We are also carrying tremendous debt($90,000) of student loans from my dh law school. I know I will never be busy enough to count as full time. It would do my family no good to go into debt for my work. I am privileged to have an amazing preceptor and am attending a very cheap(although not as in depth) school.

Is this school your only option? Do you have to go to school or can you just apprentice?
How long have you wanted to do this?

I know it is hard and there are lots of reasons to freak out for us all

Good luck! I am always stressing that it is too much so we will see where I turn out as well.
I have wanted to do this for over 10 years now. I keep putting it off because it was never a good time. Some recent events gave me the final push to do this and enroll in school. So I have the drive and passion to become a midwife. There are other options in my State but I must go to a school in FL that is accredited. There are a couple options in the works but not scheduled to open for another year or so. I must go to school and apprentice.

I have done my business plan before with my husband (who is also in school) and we figure we can pay off the debt in 5 years if I get 2 clients a month. I am just worried about the first year or two when my monthly payments are due and I don't have any clients kwim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiij View Post
That is tough.

What kinds of loans will these be? Will they be private loans? Will they be federal loans? If they are federal you can do income-based repayment plans. Can you do any other kind of financing? Can you do doula work to help pay as you go?

Is this the only school you can go to? I know that you have your plans set already for August but there are other really affordable midwifery schools out there...it might be worth it to seriously consider looking into those schools. Have you looked into the National College of Midwifery? I looked into NCM when I was still shopping around and they were pretty affordable.

Don't go if you're heart isn't in it. But, it sounds like it's still something you want to do. I wouldn't let loans stop you from going to midwifery school b/c there are affordable ways to do it.

If it makes you feel any better- I will have tons more loans than you when I graduate... The only way I can sleep at night is by knowing that the government will likely be paying them off after 2-3 years of service.
In FL, we don't have a choice to do out of state schools or distant learning. So yeah, there really isn't much choice. These will hopefully be stafford loans. If the funding does not get approved then they will be loans through a bank. I have already factored in my doula income to the equation. I figured I can do 1 birth a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post
I haven't made an infosheet on Vaccines yet, and maybe I won't... I do have Sears' Vaccine Book in my library and plan to add a couple more before I start taking on my own midwifery clients.

I'm sorry you're in such a fix... I really hate to hear of states that require MEAC because it can be so cost-prohibitive. I know you really don't have a choice because of where you live, I'm sorry.



That sounds like an absolutely fabulous day- I love days like that!

I just got word that the couple from last week's consultation hired us so that's another birth coming up soon. :
Thanks. Living in FL is challenging for midwives. I'm so glad you booked your client! That is exciting.

Thanks ladies for all the kind thoughts I talked it over with DH again and he was all "this is your dream and you have waited long enough. You are going to school so stop stressing over it". He always makes me feel better :

So next step is my interview. I got an e-mail today and they asked me to schedule it soon! My first doula client is due March 24th so I hope to get this interview out of the way before she is 37 weeks so I won't be out of town while I am on call.
CanidFL is offline  
#388 of 1527 Old 02-17-2009, 11:03 PM
 
kimiij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
These will hopefully be stafford loans.

So next step is my interview. I got an e-mail today and they asked me to schedule it soon! My first doula client is due March 24th so I hope to get this interview out of the way before she is 37 weeks so I won't be out of town while I am on call.
If it is Stafford Loans, then you can do income-based repayment options. Read this. Basically, you pay 15% of income you earn over 150% of the federal poverty level for 25 years and then the rest of the loan is forgiven!
kimiij is offline  
#389 of 1527 Old 02-17-2009, 11:59 PM
 
CanidFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh wow! That is a great program. I wonder if they have the option of early pay off. That could really help us out while we are just fresh out of school (DH is getting his masters in Acupuncture). We need time to build our business and make some money. If this plan allows us to pay off the loan early once we are making a good income 5 years or so after school, this is a great option :
CanidFL is offline  
#390 of 1527 Old 02-18-2009, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
 
MamaRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: FL transplanted in Asia
Posts: 4,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CanidFL, I feel for you. It sucks to be in FL. When it came down to choosing our state of residency we opted for SC over FL for one reason. Midwifery options.


kimiij How exciting for you!!!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

MamaRabbit is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off