Midwifery Students Tribe 2009 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1527 Old 01-08-2009, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just popping in to say how excited I am to finally be starting school. I found an awesome 2 year RN program here that has the highest pass rate in the state. I will have an associates so it will still be a few more years after that before I'm actually a midwife unless I decide to do the Frontier program. Depends a lot on DH too. And any little ones that decide to join us.

I will definitely be checking in here more often now.

Rochelle  chartnew.gifff: /home/simplyrochelle  Wife to Matt; angel1.gif 9/08; angel1.gif 11/12;angel1.gif 6/13;

Every day brings me closer to fulfilling my dreams of becoming a midwife and a mother  

#62 of 1527 Old 01-08-2009, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLuna Rayne View Post
How hard was it for you gals to find an apprenticeship?
For me, it was easy. About 6 weeks after my birth, I confessed to my midwife that I wanted to be a midwife I have no idea why I kept that from her but I think I felt that she would treat me different during the pregnancy So then about 6 months later I had a more concrete plan and could actually ask if she would be my preceptor. She agreed and the rest is history. I start school in August and start working with her Jan. 2010.

I think you just need to jump into it. Be open and honest and make sure to interview a few. You want to make sure the midwife you are apprenticing with has similar views as you so you aren’t butting heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
But I really want to do this. I want to. I have to.

Why, oh why does this have to be so difficult?

I have faith in our problem solving abilities and resourcefulness to figure something out. Anybody else turn a reluctant husband? Mine will only turn with the right solutions, I think. Fair enough.
I get what you are saying only my DH is a little more supportive. But we have the same issues with time, money, etc. It's just hard. But have faith and try to stay positive. DH knows that this is my passion and sometimes when I ask if he is bothered by it he will comment something like "maybe if you get started on this you will stop talking about birth to ME all the time" Maybe bring that up to DH if you talk to him about birthing a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
I did a load of work on getting my birth kit really nicely stocked and organised, and I'm really happy with the result.
the acid test will be at my next birth, which is due in 2 weeks or so (edd on the 16th).
I came up with this great idea of storing all my homeopathics in egg cartons - i blogged about it if anyone's curious http://majikfaerie.blogspot.com
ooooh what a lovely idea. I love how you wrote on top what each is and it's use. And BTW your new house is amazing. I'm so jealous
#63 of 1527 Old 01-08-2009, 10:39 AM

welcome to all our new members!

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#64 of 1527 Old 01-08-2009, 10:50 AM

Majik, I think the idea of the egg carton as holders for the homeopathics is great! How clever!

I also LOVE the house you just bought! Congratulations! :

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#65 of 1527 Old 01-08-2009, 10:30 PM

I just wrote out all my tuition checks and my hand is hurting a bit

Now to get all the other paperwork together and stick like 5 stamps on the envelope cause of the weight.

:

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#66 of 1527 Old 01-08-2009, 11:10 PM

Yay, Bella! I know how you feel, but it will be awesome to get those off!

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#67 of 1527 Old 01-09-2009, 12:43 AM

Well, the application and tuition checks are in a medium bubble wrap type envelope. 5 stamps should do the trick according to usps.gov.

I am so nervous :

#68 of 1527 Old 01-09-2009, 01:37 AM

Subbing. I was a big lurker on the 2008 thread.

I'm Ashley, a CNEP student at Frontier. Right now I'm going full-time and expect to be done sometime next year. I can't wait! :

I also work at a birth center and will be going back in a few weeks after having had my 5th babe in October.

Here's to a fabulous year full of awesome birth experiences!!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#69 of 1527 Old 01-09-2009, 11:05 PM

My paperwork was mailed today!

I picked up Ina May's Guide To Childbirth at Border's today. I was bummed that they didn't have Spiritual Midwifery since I was going for that. Its all good though because I haven't read the Guide yet. I also picked up Twilight but, am going to start with Ina May first!

I am having trouble reading Heart and Hands. I think I just need a non-technical book for a bit. I am about halfway through it, so now is a good break point.

#70 of 1527 Old 01-10-2009, 11:59 AM

FYI

If anyone is looking to buy Holistic Midwifery Vol. 1 PM me. I have one to pass on.

ETA - SOLD already! Thanks BellaLuna Rayne!
#71 of 1527 Old 01-10-2009, 04:17 PM

A friend has just asked me to be there for her (potential) UC birth as a doula (of sorts)!!! everyone in my social circle knows that i have had a successful hb with a mw, a successful up/uc and have officially began mw school. and they are all very supportive and curious of what i do/believe in. i have been studying midwifery on my own for many years, but enrolled in aami last year.

a friend told me about her bestfriend who is pg with #4. she has had 3 hospital births, and although she had a pretty easy time birthing, she strongly disliked the staffs attitudes and treatment of her and her babies. well, my friend told her about my uc and being a mw student, and she became very excited and wanted to meet me. we met for tea and had an instant kinship! she is just wonderful!:

her and her dh have decided that they want to do a uc, but continue prenatal care with their current provider. she has asked me to attend her birth as a support person, just to be there, even in the other room, if she needs me. i made sure she knows the limits of my knowledge and experience, and that i'm not there to act as a mw, more like a doula.

i feel honored to be asked to help support this woman through the birth of her child. i am scared and excited all at the same time.

i just wanted to share, because this is the first birth i will be at as a support person. hooray!!!
#72 of 1527 Old 01-10-2009, 07:31 PM

Question for all of us students...
As I've been eeking out money for supplies to add to my birth bag and realizing more and more how much everything costs, I've been thinking hard about what is really necessary and what is just "nice" to have.
I know from my previous training that O2 doesn't really "DO" a whole lot for normal patients who are able to ventilate normally. It's something to do, but based on evidence, it doesn't actually raise oxygen saturation levels signifigantly, and they're expensive and slightly dangerous to carry....
So, for those homebirth midwives... are you planning on or do you already carry O2 or would you feel comfortable not bringing it?
What do you think your clients would think if you DIDn't bring it?
inquiring minds want to know....
- Jen

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#73 of 1527 Old 01-10-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I picked up Ina May's Guide To Childbirth at Border's today. I was bummed that they didn't have Spiritual Midwifery since I was going for that. Its all good though because I haven't read the Guide yet.
Honestly, I much preferred the Guide to SM. I actually finished reading the Guide while we were out running errands one day and we stopped in a local pet food store while the owner was talking with another customer about her "emergency" c/s, and her disappointment. I actually whipped out the book and gave it to her, bought myself another copy the next week. I wouldn't have done that with SM, which I think is a little to "woo-woo" for a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairydoula View Post
Question for all of us students...
So, for those homebirth midwives... are you planning on or do you already carry O2 or would you feel comfortable not bringing it?
What do you think your clients would think if you DIDn't bring it?
I was intending to include it, and then I took NNR with Karen Strange. After everything I learned that day, I now doubt I would be carrying it unless it is required by the state. Not only because of it's lack of need, but also after hearing the stories of some of the local MWs, how in a situation, they don't even grab for the resus bag, they tend to do mouth-to-mouth because it saves time.

As for what your clients would think... how many of them ask about it now? Admittedly before taking that class, I might have asked a prospective MW whether or not she carried oxygen, but if she responded by telling me why she doesn't (including possibly offering reading material), then I would have been fine with that, once I was informed as to the true "need" for it. If the question has never been asked all along, what is the likelihood that anyone is going to notice during labor that there's not a tank? So long as you're prepared to answer the question, I don't see a problem with it.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#74 of 1527 Old 01-10-2009, 10:17 PM

Has anyone read "Mainstreaming Midwives"? It got a good review in Mothering, but wondering of personal opinions...

BellaLuna Rayne-I loved Heart and Hands, but I did have to read some of the more technical chapters twice (or more than twice) and did return to them for reference at times too.
Ina May's Guide is a much easier read...at least it was for me!
P.S. I'm waiting for tomorrow when I'll get Twilight from a friend!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#75 of 1527 Old 01-11-2009, 03:46 PM

I'd like to intro myself. I did it once on the last thread but things have changed. Reading the 2008 thread just about everyone convinced me (without knowing) to go through with AAMI. I plan to start this year as long as things work out money is tight with all the debt we've been trying to pay off. I have a very supportive DH who demands I never give up on wanting/dreaming to be a midwife, 2 adorable kiddos 3 yrs and 1 yr. It was their births that led me to pursue becoming a midwife, though I had the desire to be part of birth work most of my life, going through a horrible birthing and then a victorious birth gave me the strength to move forward and embrace my dream. So that's me! I feel like I've learned some much from the ladies that were posting last year it's like I know all of you. I hope I can truly get to know all of you.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#76 of 1527 Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 PM

I am about to finish Ina May's Guide To Childbirth. If I didn't have to eat, use the bathroom, keep my house up and sleep I would have finished it yesterday. I love Ina May and hope to one day have the pleasure of meeting her or attending one of her lectures.

However, has anybody noticed through reading her books that is seems like she does a few more VEs than one would think a midwife would do?

#77 of 1527 Old 01-12-2009, 11:15 PM

Ina May has changed throughout the years in the way she deals with her births. She also in her books encouraged massaging the perineum, which I do not believe she does any longer. Every midwife has to grow and learn constantly, right? I love Ina May. Hopefully next year I will be able to afford to go down to the Farm and meet her and Pamela, etc...

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#78 of 1527 Old 01-12-2009, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Yes she did, but she's really scaled back how she practices now compared to how she did in the early years. I'm not too big of a fan of hers as she is totally against UC

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#79 of 1527 Old 01-12-2009, 11:46 PM

True, every midwife does have to grow and learn. I just wanted to see if I was the only one getting that impression from the book.

That is sad to hear that she is against UC. I hope to UC one day. DH is not comfortable with me doing that for my first birth, his last son was 6 weeks premature and it was a hard birth. Of course, we had this discussion before I decided to finally enroll in AAMI

#80 of 1527 Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 AM

I think Ina May is fantastic. I don't necessarily agree 100% with all of her practice, but when I look at where she came from and how far she's come since then, she has all my respect and admiration.
seriously, this woman trained in homebirth midwifery on the job, with basically no background, training or experience, and in a pretty harsh climate too. she blazed a trail for us all (as did others at the time, and as we continue to do for the women who will follow us), but she was a true revolutionary. and unlike so many others in the mainstream side of birthing profs, she has changed her practices on so many things.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#81 of 1527 Old 01-13-2009, 11:26 AM

As a midwife I don't see myself *against* uc, but I certainly don't see myself as a UC fan/ supporter. I think there are many midwives that feel that way. It very much depends on what the birthing options/climate is where you are though.

I just think a trained and qualified birth attendant makes a huge difference in birth outcomes. I personally would prefer to give birth in the hospital then do a UC if homebirth wasn't an option.

#82 of 1527 Old 01-13-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

I understand what you're saying rebirth. I support UC, I've done a UC, but a fan? Not really. A trained qualified provider can make a huge difference in outcomes, especially since most women don't choose to UC. I hope that my practice shows support to UC... I'd rather help a UCer with prenatal care, etc that is wanted than to not help at all. Even my own views on UC have changed over the last few months well after my twin UC.

As for InaMay, I know she's been vocal about it, and it seems maybe a thought process of women NEED/SHOULD have midwives.

Majikfaerie, not surprised that you love Ina May since you're the biggest treehugger I know LOL

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#83 of 1527 Old 01-13-2009, 03:07 PM

I like Ina May, I think she's evolved as a midwife from the point of when her books were written and I think she's an amazing birth activist.
She has lately though taken a stance that all midwives need to become certified and is pushing in her birth activism for certification (CPM status) of all midwives. She claims this is needed for the future of midwifery in the nation.

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#84 of 1527 Old 01-13-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Girl View Post
I like Ina May, I think she's evolved as a midwife from the point of when her books were written and I think she's an amazing birth activist.
She has lately though taken a stance that all midwives need to become certified and is pushing in her birth activism for certification (CPM status) of all midwives. She claims this is needed for the future of midwifery in the nation.
Do you not feel the same? I think inclusion in the mainstream care of pregnant and birthing women is vital to the continuation of midwifery in the US and to the improvement of maternity outcomes as well. If I've read her correctly, she sees the CPM or CNM certifications as needed so we can be "legitimized" in the mainstream consciousness, and participate in insurance reimbursement and collegial referrals/transfers/consults and truly provide CHOICE to women who are in the childbearing year, as well as being licensed state by state, providing more consumer and midwifery protection, viability, accountability and more liveable wages for hbmw's and truly including homebirth and fsbc midwives in the healthcare options for ALL women.
Personally, in states where women CAN get midwifery care and insurance reimburses or pays, where midwives are licensed and can interact more reasonably with the rest of the health care system, isn't that really the best of all worlds... states like Oregon, Washington, California, etc... I think it's awesome. What is the problem of delineating a baseline of competency for midwives in our country? It's done in lots of other countries with sucess. (hint, look north)
-Jen

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#85 of 1527 Old 01-13-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairydoula View Post
Do you not feel the same? I think inclusion in the mainstream care of pregnant and birthing women is vital to the continuation of midwifery in the US and to the improvement of maternity outcomes as well. If I've read her correctly, she sees the CPM or CNM certifications as needed so we can be "legitimized" in the mainstream consciousness, and participate in insurance reimbursement and collegial referrals/transfers/consults and truly provide CHOICE to women who are in the childbearing year, as well as being licensed state by state, providing more consumer and midwifery protection, viability, accountability and more liveable wages for hbmw's and truly including homebirth and fsbc midwives in the healthcare options for ALL women.
Personally, in states where women CAN get midwifery care and insurance reimburses or pays, where midwives are licensed and can interact more reasonably with the rest of the health care system, isn't that really the best of all worlds... states like Oregon, Washington, California, etc... I think it's awesome. What is the problem of delineating a baseline of competency for midwives in our country? It's done in lots of other countries with sucess. (hint, look north)
-Jen
I'm going to assume you are in the US (sorry I didn't check ) and that would make me North of you I can assure you it's not done with absolute success here... not even sort of close.

There are pros and cons for sure, but it's way to simple to say that licensure/regulation ensures the best of both worlds for midwives and the birthing women who want them. The part I highlighted above about choice really caught my eye. There are many birthing women who have far fewer choices here now then they did before regulation because of the restrictions that are placed on the midwives practicing here now. Breech births, VBACs, postdates... and there are others... standards are no longer set by the midwife/the midwifery practice but rather by an outside body and then on top of that even things that the College of Midwives says are OK are in some cases only OK if an OB says that they are OK so you end up with midwives who have their hands tied by OBs if you are (as I am) in a midwife unfriendly place. There is no chance for a vaginal breech birth here unless you UC, there is no chance for a VBAC homebirth here unless you UC, if you are GBS unknown and your membranes ruptured before labour you must go to the hospital if your water breaks and labour doesn't start and give up your homebirth... I could give many many more examples. Informed choice and consent it is certainly not.

There is a lot to consider, for both midwives and their clients. I am not saying there is a right or wrong answer, only that it's not black and white by any means.

I'm in Ontario. I could get trained here and get my pay straight from the government and not have to worry about a lot of things that unlicenced midwives worry about...

Instead I am a student midwife getting my bookwork done through the US, and then moving their to apprentice at some point. I am also a pregnant woman who has a midwife for her prenatal care but is also planning a UC because the care is so restricted here and the birth I want I am unlikely to get if I have them here... I don't have to pay to have a midwife sure, but I'd do it in a heartbeat to not feel forced into that choice.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#86 of 1527 Old 01-13-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
I understand what you're saying rebirth. I support UC, I've done a UC, but a fan? Not really. A trained qualified provider can make a huge difference in outcomes, especially since most women don't choose to UC. I hope that my practice shows support to UC... I'd rather help a UCer with prenatal care, etc that is wanted than to not help at all. Even my own views on UC have changed over the last few months well after my twin UC.

As for InaMay, I know she's been vocal about it, and it seems maybe a thought process of women NEED/SHOULD have midwives.

Majikfaerie, not surprised that you love Ina May since you're the biggest treehugger I know LOL
I respect a midwife who would do prenatal (or even postpartum) support for a UC mom.... but I wouldn't do it if I knew.... b/c in my state liscensing and regulation of midwifery is strict enough, and liscenses can be taken away for really dumb things... so for me it'd be too much risk. And I would also feel really taken advantage of if I later found that a client was purposly decieving me to get her UC.

I don't necessarily think all women need a midwife, but I do think they should all have one (or some other care provider).

#87 of 1527 Old 01-13-2009, 08:08 PM

I am now an official student of AAMI!

:

#88 of 1527 Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Breech births, VBACs, postdates... and there are others... standards are no longer set by the midwife/the midwifery practice but rather by an outside body
SO TRUE...and so very unfortunate.

I have a lot of respect for UC. In my experience, these aren't women who are ignorant to any risks or are uneducated about birth. A friend of mine is planning a UC for her 7th child in March. The Amish also do it.

Quote:
....And I would also feel really taken advantage of if I later found that a client was purposly decieving me to get her UC.
Or, you could feel confident that she had a UC with the best prenatal care you could provide.

Jen Burnett, DEM
#89 of 1527 Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
[indignation] Hey!

oh. wait, yeah. i guess I am the treehugginest person most people know : [/indignation]
:
Quote:
I am now an official student of AAMI!

:
congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 636Jen View Post
Or, you could feel confident that she had a UC with the best prenatal care you could provide.
:

I do provide a lot of support to UCing mamas; pre-natal and post-natal care, backup for labours, and loads of preparation work, for those that want it. and I'm happy to do so. I guess, I see the ideal birth as being with a midwife who has worked with the birthing parents in the lead up to the birth, to ensure that they are as prepared and informed as they can be, so they basically dont need the midwife around anymore. but she's still on call/ handy in case they need her for emotional support/ experience, or if there's a complication, she can jump in with knowledge and help out.
basically giving the exact level of care wanted/ needed by the mother.
that is the basis of how I run my practice.
but i'm an 'underground' lay midwife, in a place where I can 'fly under the radar' pretty easily.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#90 of 1527 Old 01-14-2009, 10:42 AM

I love your philosophy Majik!

Quote:
I guess, I see the ideal birth as being with a midwife who has worked with the birthing parents in the lead up to the birth, to ensure that they are as prepared and informed as they can be, so they basically dont need the midwife around anymore.
ITA! Especially with the moms who are informed, want minimal intervention and a very hands off approach to their birth. If there is a complication, we of course can be there to assist them. To me, just being present for a mom who is in that primal and powerful mindset is awesome.

Jen Burnett, DEM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page