Midwifery Students Tribe 2009 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2009, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Magelet! So glad to have you here! Everyone's path is different. I wish you great luck and joy in your calling!

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Kimiij, hope you get in! And are able to do a homebirth apprenticeship once in. Midwives sure can get close knit, I think it just comes with the territory.

Congrats Majik, another client. I think it's so cool that you are a travelling midwife. I would love that life one day...maybe. Hope your client has a lovely birth and the travelling goes well. Oh, and 14 books, your credit card may be upset, but your heart and mind will be so happy. I love getting new midwifery related texts.

magelet, try not to worry about how it'll all work out. Just know that it will work out how it needs to. 5 years ago I didn't even know I wanted to be a midwife, or anything about homebirth hardly at all. And I definitely could not have seen this last year playing out how it has. But honestly, I am so happy with how the overall story has gone and I wouldn't change a thing. I might recommend having babies before going down the midwifery training path, as it can be scary to know so much about birth and still let yourself go and not let it get into your head. Midwives have some of the highest transfer/c-section rates!! On the other hand, though, training to be a midwife can be(or is) very hard on a young family. Either way, it'll be how it's meant to be.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:56 AM

Welcome Magelet!

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
Old 01-26-2009, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mamarabbit – what a great birth :

AugustLia23 – so glad the move is going well. It must be so exciting to meet your clients and the midwives.

Kimiij – that sounds like a great program. I hope you get in. You can always do a few months of apprenticing with HB midwives on your own like rebirth mentioned.

636Jen – That is so great!! I would love to go to local high schools and make a presentation on doulas and midwives. How did you hear about that? Maybe I should call around? I actually first found my calling to midwifery from a high school teacher. She told me about her homebirths and it opened my mind to a whole new perspective at 16 :

Majikfaerie – yay that is so awesome! Do you think you will do the second birth in Australia? I love books. I hardly have any time to read anymore though

Feminie_earth – I’m glad you found your way. I’m sure you will get into FSTM It’s based on a space available I think and you applied so early. I am sending in my application on Thursday and I’m positive there will be space left. Last year, they were still accepting applications in July for the August semeseter.

Magelet - I totally know where you are coming from with the planning. It all just seems to work out. If we are meant to do this kind of work, the world just brings up the opportunities. My life has completely changed over the past 2 years in ways I could never have thought of. I had this long term plan that had many goals and some of those goals are going on the back burner while others are moving up on my list. It all just seems to work out when you have a passion and determination. About the schools….I am applying to an on-site school this year. I like that I will have face to face time with the teachers and students. I am a visual learner and really excel in the classroom compared to on-line. When I do work on-line, I do learn the material but my memory is not the greatest. When I watch someone say the information to me, it sticks! I’m not sure about the experience part. My school does not require experience. Maybe hook up with a local doula or midwife and ask if you can attend a few births with them?

I think I have my first doula client : I met with her yesterday and will follow up today. I finished my essay of “why I want to be a midwife” for my school application and will be sending it in on Thursday. I’m so excited.

Ok this is really long
Old 01-26-2009, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
Feminie_earth – I’m glad you found your way. I’m sure you will get into FSTM It’s based on a space available I think and you applied so early. I am sending in my application on Thursday and I’m positive there will be space left. Last year, they were still accepting applications in July for the August semester.
Thanks for the encouragement! It means a lot to me!

I want to clear up, though, that FSTM does not accept students on a 'first come first serve' basis. That's why I do not know if I'm accepted yet. They are going to re-evaluate my application in March, by which time they should have more applicants. Then, if they still don't have enough, they re-evaluate again in the summer. It makes the whole process all the more stressful, though still pretty exciting.

Oh, I'm so happy for you getting that application turned in!! It feels so cool once you mail it off...like, "Wow...I really did it!" :

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
Old 01-26-2009, 02:20 PM

Ok what program is FTSM? I'm assuming it is on site learning.
Thanks so much on the info on MTB and AAMI. Right now I am leaning toward MTB because of the price. I'm not sure I will finish any program I have been doing a ton of personal study and am already pretty far into my preceptorship. I already do most of the prenatal and a good number of postpartum visits and now I am doing ie's and second stage "management" fo rlack of a better word. AAMI is still just too expensive for us right now ands you have to pay wether you finish or not. I'm more of a pay as you go type of person.
SO with that being said I need to vent about a birth I did last week. 2nd time mom 1st homebirth 1st natural birth. We talked extensively in our prenatals(also took my CBE course) about how she wanted to be sure to be in control during the labor and she didn't want to be told what to do. She had been sexually abused as a child and had some pretty serious fears reaguarding being in control. So She goes into labor last Saturday. She is a very large woman(over 300 lbs.) and we had a hard time placing babys postition. One day it would be transverse then it would seem head down. We did a ie the day before she went into labor to confirm baby was head down(my midwife alost never does an ie before a woman is in labor and even rarely then). Mom was a 6 and 80% before even ging into labor. So she calls. I go to her home and she is handeling her cx well. I check her and seh is 8/9 and 90%. I was really impressed. With in a few hours she was complete and grunting with her cx. My preceptor checked her and said she deffinately was complete and baby was already +2 station. Mom would not push. The minute the urge would hit she she would scream and tighten up you could literally feel her cervix go from complete back to 7 cm. So mom labored to complete again and the same thing happened. After the third time and mom wouldn't push we decided to transport..per moms withes. She wanted and epidural just for pushing. The terror in her eyes with the pushing sensation was so apparent. It made me so sad. I wanted to tell her to get over it and just push and he baby would be here is one cx but my preceptor deffinately wanted to safe guyard her wishes..as it should be. We got the the hospital they were giving her her standard bag of fluid. The mom relaxed knowing her epidural was coming and the baby literally fell out. The hospital and on call dr. were great only mom touched the baby no cord cutting etc. I jus tleft feeling frustrated. Not at the mom but at myself. I truly believe that birth is a natural even and had even been "abused" during one of my own births by a over medical homebrth midwife so why did I feel like we should have made this hard working mom have her baby at home. It makes me question if I am too medical to be the type of midwife I want to be. The whole reason I finally decided to go on this journey was after my last awful homebirth. I used to think that if a woman was having a homebirth that everything would be ok. I now know that there are some awful and abusive home birth midwives out there and I feel like the answer is to become the midwife I aspire to be. Am I a terrible person for feeling disappointed about this?
Thanks in advance
Dy

oh by the way how do you add a signature to your posts.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

Old 01-26-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyinkling View Post
Hello!
I am an aspiring midwife who is leaning towards beginning the AAMI program very soon, and would LOVE to hear any/all feedback from the AAMI students here. MUCH appreciated! (drop me a line any time!)
Thank you,
brooke

Hi tinyinkling! I am an AAMI student. I enrolled in November. I'm still doing the preliminary assignments and haven't gotten to the main curriculum yet. So far, I'm really impressed. I just wanted to let you know, starting Feb. 1st some of the prices are going up. If you decide you want to do the program, it would be better to enroll before Feb. 1st.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:25 PM

Completedbeginnings – That is so tough I can see why you are disappointed. I would be really rooting for that mom to deliver at home. At the end of the day, it’s her birth and her wishes. We as midwives need to respect that. She tried 3 times to get complete and gave it her all. That’s all you can do I’m not sure why you see yourself as too medical?

FSTM is Florida School of Traditional Midwifery. It’s an on-site school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminine_earth View Post
Thanks for the encouragement! It means a lot to me!

I want to clear up, though, that FSTM does not accept students on a 'first come first serve' basis. That's why I do not know if I'm accepted yet. They are going to re-evaluate my application in March, by which time they should have more applicants. Then, if they still don't have enough, they re-evaluate again in the summer. It makes the whole process all the more stressful, though still pretty exciting.

Oh, I'm so happy for you getting that application turned in!! It feels so cool once you mail it off...like, "Wow...I really did it!" :
Hmmm did they say that in the interview? It says right on their ‘instructions for applying’ webpage that
Quote:
Applications will be considered on a space availability basis.
Maybe I misunderstood what that meant. Either way, I am sure you will get in!
Old 01-26-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Hmmm did they say that in the interview? It says right on their ‘instructions for applying’ webpage that "Applications will be considered on a space availability basis." Maybe I misunderstood what that meant. Either way, I am sure you will get in!
Yeah, they told me that during the interview. And then sure enough, I got a letter saying that my application would be re-evaluated in March when they receive more applicants.

I think what that might mean is they will keep accepting eligible applicants until they are full...? Who knows really!

I'm sure we are both going to get in!! : :

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
Old 01-26-2009, 07:16 PM

I've asked around locally, and I've never heard of any serious applicants not getting in to FSTM, so I wouldn't worry.

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

Old 01-26-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirth View Post
I've asked around locally, and I've never heard of any serious applicants not getting in to FSTM, so I wouldn't worry.
Yay! Good to hear! Thanks for sharing!

Old 01-26-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
Thanks for the tip Majik.... does it like to your wishlist on Amazon also? I'm going to have to buy a couple books and am always looking for a cheap route to get them over here. Now to just figure out pounds to $ to thai baht.
try xe.com for the exchange rates. I'm not sure they ship to thailand though I might be able to bring them over for you if you want to ship to me... we can talk about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post
Wow Majik- that bookdepository website is a really good deal! It's better than Amazon prices for me too, here in the US.

I'm really bummed, I bought Myles 14th ed right after Christmas and then the next week it went down $20 on Amazon... our budget is really tight this month as dh only gets paid 3 out of 4 weeks in January. I'm waiting for the economy to improve with our new president :. That was tongue in cheek btw.
bummer!
okay, how's murphy for ya!
yesterday I bought a shiny new copy of Myles 14th ed (for 32 pounds) and today I have a PM from a friend selling her 12th ed for $15aussie (about $9us). is it really really worth it to get the latest ed? probably I would have gotten the 12th ed cheap, and bought varneys or mayes new instead. thoughts?

Feminine Earth, fingers X you get in!

magelet: and welcome to the thread.

Quote:
I think I have my first doula client : I met with her yesterday and will follow up today. I finished my essay of “why I want to be a midwife” for my school application and will be sending it in on Thursday. I’m so excited.
congrats! and good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post
Ok what program is FTSM? I'm assuming it is on site learning.
Thanks so much on the info on MTB and AAMI. Right now I am leaning toward MTB because of the price. I'm not sure I will finish any program I have been doing a ton of personal study and am already pretty far into my preceptorship. I already do most of the prenatal and a good number of postpartum visits and now I am doing ie's and second stage "management" fo rlack of a better word. AAMI is still just too expensive for us right now ands you have to pay wether you finish or not. I'm more of a pay as you go type of person.
SO with that being said I need to vent about a birth I did last week. 2nd time mom 1st homebirth 1st natural birth. We talked extensively in our prenatals(also took my CBE course) about how she wanted to be sure to be in control during the labor and she didn't want to be told what to do. She had been sexually abused as a child and had some pretty serious fears reaguarding being in control. So She goes into labor last Saturday. She is a very large woman(over 300 lbs.) and we had a hard time placing babys postition. One day it would be transverse then it would seem head down. We did a ie the day before she went into labor to confirm baby was head down(my midwife alost never does an ie before a woman is in labor and even rarely then). Mom was a 6 and 80% before even ging into labor. So she calls. I go to her home and she is handeling her cx well. I check her and seh is 8/9 and 90%. I was really impressed. With in a few hours she was complete and grunting with her cx. My preceptor checked her and said she deffinately was complete and baby was already +2 station. Mom would not push. The minute the urge would hit she she would scream and tighten up you could literally feel her cervix go from complete back to 7 cm. So mom labored to complete again and the same thing happened. After the third time and mom wouldn't push we decided to transport..per moms withes. She wanted and epidural just for pushing. The terror in her eyes with the pushing sensation was so apparent. It made me so sad. I wanted to tell her to get over it and just push and he baby would be here is one cx but my preceptor deffinately wanted to safe guyard her wishes..as it should be. We got the the hospital they were giving her her standard bag of fluid. The mom relaxed knowing her epidural was coming and the baby literally fell out. The hospital and on call dr. were great only mom touched the baby no cord cutting etc. I jus tleft feeling frustrated. Not at the mom but at myself. I truly believe that birth is a natural even and had even been "abused" during one of my own births by a over medical homebrth midwife so why did I feel like we should have made this hard working mom have her baby at home. It makes me question if I am too medical to be the type of midwife I want to be. The whole reason I finally decided to go on this journey was after my last awful homebirth. I used to think that if a woman was having a homebirth that everything would be ok. I now know that there are some awful and abusive home birth midwives out there and I feel like the answer is to become the midwife I aspire to be. Am I a terrible person for feeling disappointed about this?
Thanks in advance
Dy

oh by the way how do you add a signature to your posts.
I think you did fine in that situation - the safest place for a mama to birth is where she feel safest. not necessarily at home. abuse survivors have a whole range of stuff to process in labour and birth.

sigs can be added by clicking on the user CP to be found in the menu bar at the top left of the screen

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
Old 01-27-2009, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Majik, I much prefer the 14th edition

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 01-27-2009, 12:36 AM

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone!

Good luck feminine_earth! I know what you're going through right now
Old 01-27-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
Majik, I much prefer the 14th edition
so would all you wise mamas who know about this stuff consider having both, just for the fun of it, if the older one was really cheap?

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
Old 01-27-2009, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
grrrr! My college is such a pain....

To get into the nursing program here you need a 2.7 and a C+ in all sciences. Ok, that's great. I have a 3.0.....but I got a C in Chem: Whatever. I was transferring anyway so I could move in with my boyfriend and maybe not have to sell my left kidney to get into my sophomore year. i have a meeting with my advisor later so we'll hash it out--she's a nice lady, she made a deal with the Director of Bio for me--I can stay in Biochem if I promise to take Chem again at the same time -_-* Fine.

I also need Microbiology to get into the program where I'm going next year...which I'm not allowed to take. Why, you ask? Because I'm a freshman, that's all. *curses* I swear, this school is such a pain in the ass... I understand wanting to make the nurses you put out in the world as best as possible so I'll give them the Chem class, I suppose.....but why do i have to take it again to be in Bio when I *already passes the class* and I won't be here in the fall but I cannot take a class that I actually *need* because I had the audacity to be a member of the class of 2012?!?!?!?!I hate formalities.

/rant

Thanks for listening if you did, I totally understand if it looked to boring to read if you didn't! ^-^

Kris: "auntie" to W (7yrs)  and Z (5yrs)

→Waiting to start my own little family←
Old 01-27-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiij View Post
Thanks for all the well wishes everyone!

Good luck feminine_earth! I know what you're going through right now
Are you waiting for an acceptance letter, too? If so, good luck!! :

sleepingbeauty, that sounds so frustrating! I hope things work out for you!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingbeauty View Post
grrrr! My college is such a pain....
I feel your frustration. I actually have a degree in Canada (131 credits) and the board who reviewed my transcripts in NY gave my 12 credits : So all my schooling (English, science, math, etc) means nothing here. I have no credit in the states so when I was applying for A&P at my local college they wanted me to do math, english, biology, and chemistry to get in So I really feel your pain. Sometimes you can talk to academic advisors and they will give you special permission to take a course even if you don’t meet the requirements.

So....I got my first doula client!! She called last night and hired me. I am so beyond excited and nervous. I really hope to get some more clients so I can fund my way through midwifery school.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:45 PM

Canidfl, I'm on the Alumni mailing list. A message went out to everyone on the list asking if anyone would be interested in talking about their career choices. Since most alumni live out of state, there probably weren't many people willing to take a day off in the middle of the week to do this. So, I replied and she replied back asking if I'd come.

I'm really excited and thinking about what I'll say and how to approach this. I hope there are lots of questions.

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
Old 01-27-2009, 01:01 PM

Canid- congrats, that is great! How did she find you? I hope she had a lovely birth.

To all those with school frustrations, I sympathize!!!! School- getting in, getting the right classes, and everything- can be just so frustrating.

I have my first test in anatomy tomorrow! I'm studying hard. I see this as one of the big tests- if I'm but out to do this....

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

Old 01-27-2009, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
so would all you wise mamas who know about this stuff consider having both, just for the fun of it, if the older one was really cheap?
How would it be fun? I don't know what could be done with it. Save your money for all the other books you'll want to buy eventually.

Quote:
I feel your frustration. I actually have a degree in Canada (131 credits) and the board who reviewed my transcripts in NY gave my 12 credits :
What?!?!? That's nuts! That makes no sense!

Quote:
So....I got my first doula client!! She called last night and hired me. I am so beyond excited and nervous. I really hope to get some more clients so I can fund my way through midwifery school.
That's exciting! I just had my first full-payment doula client. (I do almost all free or reduced as most here can barely get food on the table). I did the math and figure that 15 - 20 births (minus gas or train/cab fare) should totally pay myself back for tuition and books.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 01-27-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirth View Post
Canid- congrats, that is great! How did she find you? I hope she had a lovely birth.

To all those with school frustrations, I sympathize!!!! School- getting in, getting the right classes, and everything- can be just so frustrating.

I have my first test in anatomy tomorrow! I'm studying hard. I see this as one of the big tests- if I'm but out to do this....
Good luck on your test!!

Old 01-27-2009, 05:44 PM

did anybody add the narm focus??? i am seriously considering adding this option, and i was hoping i could hear some feedback on it. what you liked/didn't like, how structured it is, anything would be helpful!

it seems like we're all starting off the year with good news and new clients and travel plans! i too just got my first doula client, canidfl!: i hope doula-ing can offset my tuition and book cost. even just my book cost would be great!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
did anybody add the narm focus??? i am seriously considering adding this option, and i was hoping i could hear some feedback on it. what you liked/didn't like, how structured it is, anything would be helpful!
I can't decide... I lean towards not adding it just because I feel like the course and guidance from my preceptor should do it. She's precepted several apprentices already who have passed or sit for the exam next month so I'm not really worried about it. I might change my mind though. I'm curious to hear from anyone has had added it.

I've turned away 3-4 prospective clients recently as I decided not to try balance doula clients 1/2 hour from me in one direction and clients with my preceptor 1.5 hours away in another direction. I sure could use the money but I think it would be too stressful to do both.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post

it seems like we're all starting off the year with good news and new clients and travel plans! i too just got my first doula client, canidfl!: i hope doula-ing can offset my tuition and book cost. even just my book cost would be great!
I am planning on adding it at a later date. I like to be super prepared for things and this is something that matters even more

I got my copy of Holistic Midwifery Vol 1 in the mail today. *gulp* This thing is huge and for some stupid reason its intimidating me. Maybe this signals the shock of actually being enrolled going away? Or maybe its because I am still having difficulty reading Heart and Hands? :

I guess I should just do a goal of 1 chapter/day?

Old 01-27-2009, 10:45 PM

Has anyone taken a good anatomy or nutrition class online? If so, where? Was it helpful - did you learn what you needed to learn?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLuna Rayne View Post
I got my copy of Holistic Midwifery Vol 1 in the mail today. *gulp* This thing is huge and for some stupid reason its intimidating me. Maybe this signals the shock of actually being enrolled going away? Or maybe its because I am still having difficulty reading Heart and Hands? :

I'm glad I am not the only one! We can do it!

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
Old 01-27-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsunshine85 View Post
I'm glad I am not the only one! We can do it!
I even started it over after reaching chapter 4 and taking a break. Its like it goes into my head for 2 seconds and out. I think its bothering me because its not broken down into enough chapters...if that makes sense?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLuna Rayne View Post
I am planning on adding it at a later date. I like to be super prepared for things and this is something that matters even more

Holistic Midwifery is actually a relatively easy read,,,meaning it flows really well and I have enjoyed it. It is still freakishly long but I am really liking reading it compared to some midwifery texts that make me want to throw them against a wall. Enjoy it and don't stress too much.
Speaking of anyone know where I can get Volume 2 with out paying $200.

Dy

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

Old 01-28-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post
Holistic Midwifery is actually a relatively easy read,,,meaning it flows really well and I have enjoyed it. It is still freakishly long but I am really liking reading it compared to some midwifery texts that make me want to throw them against a wall. Enjoy it and don't stress too much.
Speaking of anyone know where I can get Volume 2 with out paying $200.

Dy
I am totally enjoying it so far

Ooh, that's a good question. I have only seen it on Amazon.com for like $130. While I can pay that much, I would rather not. I could get a months worth of groceries for that much. Oh and I would be afraid to rip it, spill on it, and all the other things that happen to textbooks.

User Tag List