Midwifery Students Tribe 2009 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 1527 Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLuna Rayne View Post
I have procrastinated much of the day away again. I guess the lack of good sleep last night affected me more than I thought. Then, DH popped up on Yahoo and its been three days since I last heard from him. I guess I can use the rest of the day now to read. After I switch the laundry...again.
I'm jealous that you can put that much time studying : Kids are blessing but they definitely get in the way of studying...as do husbands for that matter. Enjoy!
Dy

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#242 of 1527 Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
I am still looking for the NARM Focus stuff. I haven't forgotten you - just got interrupted a dozen times. I've looked once already and didn't find it, so I have to look more thoroughly again.
no worries!
#243 of 1527 Old 01-28-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
no worries!
I actually had to email to find out why I couldn't find it... looks like I don't get it until after I finish Orientation. But she did tell me what's included in the NARM Focus package.

Essentially 3 things:
1 year extension
Varney Study Questions
Access to a private email study group

Plus AEUs and a store credit upon passing the test

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#244 of 1527 Old 01-28-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post
I'm jealous that you can put that much time studying : Kids are blessing but they definitely get in the way of studying...as do husbands for that matter. Enjoy!
Dy
Its not going so well. As soon as I started reading my cat decided she had to be in my lap NOW. So, I had to hold the book balanced over here and on my knee since she was on my stomach and stretched to my face. Then, I had to call my DSS. Oh and now I am hungry so cooking dinner. I am reading off and on between all this though.

See, my DH got in the way and he is in Iraq! I was just about to get off the couch and do my Tae Bo when he popped on.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#245 of 1527 Old 01-29-2009, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

MCU also has a good book list which helped me decide between one book over the other on some.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#246 of 1527 Old 01-29-2009, 07:19 AM

my client gave birth this morning
8:33am a beautiful girl, after a very quick and easy labour. no bleeding, no tears, baby didn't cry, she was born smiling, and latched on to the boob on her own in a short time

I only got there an hour before the birth, just as I arrived the mama was grunting through a ctx, and I thought 'oh hello, that sounds like she's getting ready to push.' and sure enough, I'd barely had time to wash my hands and get my fetoscope out when the head appeared!
It was a lovely birth - no one else had time to arrive, so it was just me and the parents.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#247 of 1527 Old 01-29-2009, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah fun fun!! How many babies have you delivered as midwife now?

#248 of 1527 Old 01-29-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
my client gave birth this morning
8:33am a beautiful girl, after a very quick and easy labour. no bleeding, no tears, baby didn't cry, she was born smiling, and latched on to the boob on her own in a short time

I only got there an hour before the birth, just as I arrived the mama was grunting through a ctx, and I thought 'oh hello, that sounds like she's getting ready to push.' and sure enough, I'd barely had time to wash my hands and get my fetoscope out when the head appeared!
It was a lovely birth - no one else had time to arrive, so it was just me and the parents.
That is just so awesome!!! :

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#249 of 1527 Old 01-29-2009, 12:08 PM

Yay for new babies! :

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#250 of 1527 Old 01-29-2009, 02:00 PM

Yay babies!

Today is payday so I just bought Helping Hands for my AAMI schoolwork. I was thinking about going to Staples to print it off but, that is apparently going to cost me over $150. Yeah, um no. I guess I will just read it from my laptop screen.

Also thinking about picking up a copy of Taber's soon, the new edition comes out next month I believe. Until then, I am not sure which book I should buy next

#251 of 1527 Old 01-29-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Today is payday so I just bought Helping Hands for my AAMI schoolwork. I was thinking about going to Staples to print it off but, that is apparently going to cost me over $150. Yeah, um no. I guess I will just read it from my laptop screen.
Yeah, I made that mistake. Had some stuff printed at Kinkos because we didn't have a printer at the time (including Helping Hands). The guy never gave me an estimate and when I came back to pick the stuff up I nearly choked. They charged me almost a dollar per sheet of paper.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#252 of 1527 Old 01-29-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Yeah, I made that mistake. Had some stuff printed at Kinkos because we didn't have a printer at the time (including Helping Hands). The guy never gave me an estimate and when I came back to pick the stuff up I nearly choked. They charged me almost a dollar per sheet of paper.
I thought it would be an awesome idea so I could get it bound too, yk? I cannot believe they charge that much! I guess I will be picking up a couple of things of ink instead of one

#253 of 1527 Old 01-29-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Yay babies!

Also thinking about picking up a copy of Taber's soon, the new edition comes out next month I believe. Until then, I am not sure which book I should buy next
I got my copy of Helping Hands printed and spiral bound at kinkos for under $30. The key is to make sure it's just done in black and white. Then it's only $.10 a page but there is a volume discount too.
#254 of 1527 Old 01-29-2009, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Do you have the main ones already? HMI & II, Birth as an American Rite of Passage, Gentle Birth Gentle Mothering, Prescription for Nutritional Healing. Those are the first ones you'll need.

After that:
Maternal Newborn Nursing is great and you will use it tons for a variety of assignments. I have the fourth edition and it's not too old.
Start looking for Varney's midwifery - it's not cheap, even the older versions
Skills for Midwifery Practice is fabulous
Physical Assessment of the Newborn

You'll need all of those eventually. (I have TONS of books and those IMO are the most needed)

#255 of 1527 Old 01-30-2009, 12:30 AM

who is the author for maternal newborn nursing?
#256 of 1527 Old 01-30-2009, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Olds-London-Ladewig

don't confuse it with the Handbook to Olds MNN

#257 of 1527 Old 01-30-2009, 12:37 AM

thank you!
#258 of 1527 Old 01-30-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
Olds-London-Ladewig

don't confuse it with the Handbook to Olds MNN
That's what I did... but at least I bought them both used and cheap.
#259 of 1527 Old 01-30-2009, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Do you have the main ones already? HMI & II, Birth as an American Rite of Passage, Gentle Birth Gentle Mothering, Prescription for Nutritional Healing. Those are the first ones you'll need.

After that:
Maternal Newborn Nursing is great and you will use it tons for a variety of assignments. I have the fourth edition and it's not too old.

You'll need all of those eventually. (I have TONS of books and those IMO are the most needed)
Thank you MamaRabbit! : I now have a new list of books.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#260 of 1527 Old 01-30-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:

After that:

That's great I added it to my huge list! : Thanks.

Dy

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#261 of 1527 Old 01-30-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
I just got my copy of Paths to Becoming a Midwife in the mail today, and I'm so excited!!!! (lol, I keep telling myself I have to put in at least half an hour of working on my resume and job hunting before I can take a break to read it. I should do more but.... :P)
That book was so informative, but made my decision so much harder with all that information! A good read though

I SENT my nursing school application in! So now to sit on my hands and wait for the results!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#262 of 1527 Old 01-30-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah fun fun!! How many babies have you delivered as midwife now?
completely on my own, now 10 not including with other mws/ doula only stuff, assisting, etc

#263 of 1527 Old 01-30-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Girl View Post
I SENT my nursing school application in! So now to sit on my hands and wait for the results!
congrats and :

#264 of 1527 Old 01-30-2009, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
completely on my own, now 10 not including with other mws/ doula only stuff, assisting, etc
Is it nerve wrecking at times being on your own with full responsibility? I always wonder how new midwives do once they're on their own.

#265 of 1527 Old 01-30-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
So did you end up doing an actual apprenticeship or no? How many births in total have you been to? I'm always curious.... it seems to vary so much from person to person on when they feel ready.

Christa
#266 of 1527 Old 01-30-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnchrista View Post
So did you end up doing an actual apprenticeship or no? How many births in total have you been to? I'm always curious.... it seems to vary so much from person to person on when they feel ready.
I'm curious too... esp since it took me 2 years to find an apprenticeship. After awhile, I thought I might have to do some traveling for experience and then start out less experienced than I wanted. I'd love to hear more of your story majik.
#267 of 1527 Old 01-30-2009, 05:57 PM

Hi everyone! I haven't been on in ages, since my laptop ker-flunked on me. I enrolled in AAMI last October, but I didn't get my PrePak until this week because I missed getting Lori some key info before her vacation. Anyways, I am back on track now! I am an active duty military member with one child, 1.5 yrs and a wonderful SAHD who hopes to transition to work soon.

So I know the UC discussion was ages ago (or a couple weeks), but I wanted everyone's opinions on my situation. ('Cause it's all about me, right? )

I am in a state where only CNMs are licensed and anyone else attending a birth and purporting to be a midwife is breaking the law. There are no longer any CNMs in the state who do homebirths. The most recent hb mw went into OB practice in May, and she is in my town.

As a military member, I am required to have prenatal care during the pregnancy, and I am hoping to use the ex-homebirth CNM. Assuming everything is normal, I do not want to birth in a hospital. There are illegal midwives who would attend my birth, but according to the JAG officer (military lawyer) I spoke with off-record, I could be charged with "conspiracy to commit a crime" if I employed a hb mw.

So, I have a "feeling" that the baby may be born before I can make it to the hospital! Here is my dilemma: there are I think two midwives in the area that are within a distance acceptable to the military insurance program. I wasn't planning to let her know my possible plans, but now I am reconsidering this decision. If I tell her and she doesn't approve, she could terminate my care and possibly notify someone of my intentions, which could spell big trouble for me at work. I may not be able to fit into the other midwife's practice, and I could be disciplined by my commander.

I totally agree under normal circumstances that honesty is the best policy. Totally. But this is a situation where I could very easily be "forced" (by the government! how scary is that?) into a very monitored, high-intervention pregnancy and birth if the right person gets wind of something fishy.

So tell me honestly, WWYD?
#268 of 1527 Old 01-30-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:

After that:

Who is the author is Physical Assessment of the Newborn? Is that Tappero?
#269 of 1527 Old 01-30-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogi View Post
Who is the author is Physical Assessment of the Newborn? Is that Tappero?
I was wondering the same thing. About 3 different books came up with slightly different Titles.
#270 of 1527 Old 01-30-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogi View Post
Hi everyone! I haven't been on in ages, since my laptop ker-flunked on me. I enrolled in AAMI last October, but I didn't get my PrePak until this week because I missed getting Lori some key info before her vacation. Anyways, I am back on track now! I am an active duty military member with one child, 1.5 yrs and a wonderful SAHD who hopes to transition to work soon.

So I know the UC discussion was ages ago (or a couple weeks), but I wanted everyone's opinions on my situation. ('Cause it's all about me, right? )

I am in a state where only CNMs are licensed and anyone else attending a birth and purporting to be a midwife is breaking the law. There are no longer any CNMs in the state who do homebirths. The most recent hb mw went into OB practice in May, and she is in my town.

As a military member, I am required to have prenatal care during the pregnancy, and I am hoping to use the ex-homebirth CNM. Assuming everything is normal, I do not want to birth in a hospital. There are illegal midwives who would attend my birth, but according to the JAG officer (military lawyer) I spoke with off-record, I could be charged with "conspiracy to commit a crime" if I employed a hb mw.

So, I have a "feeling" that the baby may be born before I can make it to the hospital! Here is my dilemma: there are I think two midwives in the area that are within a distance acceptable to the military insurance program. I wasn't planning to let her know my possible plans, but now I am reconsidering this decision. If I tell her and she doesn't approve, she could terminate my care and possibly notify someone of my intentions, which could spell big trouble for me at work. I may not be able to fit into the other midwife's practice, and I could be disciplined by my commander.

I totally agree under normal circumstances that honesty is the best policy. Totally. But this is a situation where I could very easily be "forced" (by the government! how scary is that?) into a very monitored, high-intervention pregnancy and birth if the right person gets wind of something fishy.

So tell me honestly, WWYD?
as probably one of the posters least in favor of UCI feel compelled to share my thoughts.

I've thought a LOT about your situation before posting, and I think I would agree that in this case that honesty really isn't possible if you want a homebirth. Follow your heart, and do what you have to do. I personally would lie and not share your plans (if you decide to UC) rather then risk being charged with something. your situation goes a lot father then just disrespect- it could play an integral part in the reast of your life.

and if you do go with a UC I wouldn't tell anyone else.... sometimes people "overshare" without bad intentions, and the risk just isn't worth it.

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page