Midwifery Students Tribe 2009 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2008, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
: Midwifery Students!!!!! :

Last year's 2008 thread is huge with so much great information for new and seasoned midwifery students. If you want a good read, it'll take a long while but may be worth it to those new to studying midwifery. Troves of info on schools, apprenticeship, books, notetaking, and more!

: Yes I know this is an early pre-2009 thread but where I'm located it's already 2009!

May this year bring amazing births, good learning experiences, and fun times sharing (and maybe graduation) for all!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2008, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
May this year bring amazing births, good learning experiences, and fun times sharing (and maybe graduation) for all!
Here, here! Happy New Year!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 12-31-2008, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you're fast MR!
It's only been 2009 for 4 hours where I'm at, and I live about as far into the future as you can get.
(and yeah, I'm up at 4am and I don't even have a baby nursling - just can't sleep)

I should be using this time to go through the $250 worth of herbs, tincutres and homeopathics I bought to stock my birth kit... but hey, it's 4am!

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
Old 12-31-2008, 03:15 PM

I'm here! Checking in for 2009 even though it's not yet here for us (12 more hours to go of 2008).

My niece will be one tomorrow. It's unbelievable to me that a whole year has flown. She was a homebirthed baby but her Mama didn't change her mind from hospital to home until a month before she was due. I was so happy that she did though, and they had a wonderful homebirth with her becoming the first baby of 2008 in her city

2008 also brought my first attendance at a homebirth. One of my closest friends delivered her healthy baby girl on April 11th. Her fifth child, first homebirth... and the midwife almost didn't make it for the birth She walked in as A was pushing and the backup midwife walked in about 10-15 minutes after birth.

And then 2008 brought my starting into the full AAMI program (I spent a year before that doing Introduction to Midwifery and Study Prep stuff). Early fall I did the preliminary stuff and November 1st started my official enrollment clock. I am absolutely loving it (even though it definitely is a lot of work )

What will 2009 bring? More AAMI for sure... no births planned as of yet except for my own

2009 will hopefully bring a healthy homebirthed baby to me in the next month or two (I'm just over 34 weeks today) I have been planning for this all my life and my first birth was a rather traumatic hospital induction, so I am hoping for a more peaceful entrace into the world for this baby.

I love this thread! : I look forward to sharing 2009 with you all

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
Old 12-31-2008, 03:24 PM

Yay for new threads!

Happy New Year, mamas! Guess what! I am sending my CRD and Requesting my Prepak today! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =)

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
Old 12-31-2008, 04:35 PM

Hi everyone and Happy New Year! I hope that we all have a wonderful year.

Just a brief re-intro for the new thread:

My name is C and I am mom to 4 kids. DD is 8; DS is 7; DS2 is 5; DD2 is 3. Both of my DDs were born at home. My DSs were born at a hospital. We home school.

I am a student with AAMI. Getting ready to send for my next phase. I enrolled in November. I have worked with a midwife as an assistant in the past. I am going to be doing a trial assistant-ship with another midwife starting in February. She is an AAMI graduate which is really cool. She has a beautiful birth philosophy and I am really looking forward to working with her. She is newly certified so she can't apprentice me just yet. I don't know what the future holds as far as an apprenticeship goes, but I'm extremely grateful for any birth experience I can get at this point. I also have an acquaintance who wants me for labor support in March.

This student midwife tribe has been such a great source of support and encouragement for me. I'm so glad that you are all here. I am loving every step of this journey towards midwifery.

Happy New Year to all of you!
Old 12-31-2008, 04:42 PM

Hi, intro here: I'm Summer, mama to 2 beautiful girls and for 2009 I've decided to start pursuing my calling of midwifery. I'm applying for nursing school for Fall 2009 (because where I want to practice they require a CNM licensure for homebirth attendance) and going to start AAMI Introduction to Midwifery. That's the plan so far! I can't wait to get started

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
Old 12-31-2008, 06:53 PM

ok I copied this from the old thread:

2009 is going to be a good year I can just feel it! : I am attending the DONA doula training in Jan and will start at FSTM in August! I am pretty sure I will be laid off my job in the next 4-6 months and once that happens, I plan to start my apprenticeship with my preceptor and offer my doula services to low income women who are in need but can’t afford the services. This will allow me to help out women in need while gaining experience too.

Looking forward to the next year and all the exciting midwifery steps I will be taking with you ladies by my side.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:10 PM

Happy New Year!

Well, plans at this point are much different than I expected. I had expected to be traveling around to do some 'apprenticing' this year but I have found local preceptor. : Well, local might be too strong of a word actually... I live 1.5 hours west of the community she serves and she lives 1.5 hours north of that community. It will work though, it's not a bad drive and assisting a midwife nearby who travels in a 2 hour radius has prepared me for the driving.

January looks to be a busy month as birth assistant and I'm also looking at getting my impacted wisdom teeth removed . By spring I should be apprenticing with my new preceptor.

So my goals for 2009 are to apprentice and get a decent amount of AAMI work done. In 2010 I'm hoping to take the Farm adv workshop, finish apprenticing and maybe even finish AAMI a few months early. :

Life has a way of changing my plans though, so who knows how things will pan out.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:17 AM

Have any mamas here been through the midwifery program at Ryerson Univ in Toronto? Part time?

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 01-01-2009, 03:09 AM

Happy New Year, mamas!!!!!!!!!

my intro for the thread: I'm Liz, a midwifery student with AAMI, sending for my next phase at last and trying to learn as much as I can. No DH or little ones yet.

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
Old 01-01-2009, 02:12 PM

it must be a little easier to study without little ones yet! I wish I did it that way sometimes

I ordered all my books for the reading requirements for the CBI CBE course I am taking. I bought them all used for a grand total of $4.50 : Now I have to buckle down and read 5 books which shouldn't be a problem since they all look interesting and I picked ones that I haven't read much about so far.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
Have any mamas here been through the midwifery program at Ryerson Univ in Toronto? Part time?

I have a friend in the fast track program in Toronto, don't know if it is the same University.
Are you planning to go to that school?
Old 01-01-2009, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Happy new year!!:

I will do a quick intro I am Erika, I am 28, I have 3 fantastic kids and a pretty wonderful husband. I am an AAMI student and have been apprenticing for almost 2 years. I also spent 3 months down at Casa this past fall. I am now preparing for the NARM and my plan is to take the written exam in August. I also have hopes to make it down to Casa this year to spend some time doing a residency. Oh, and I am taking my own clients under supervision right now, so that is pretty exciting stuff too!

Is anyone else here planning on taking the NARM exam in 2009?

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:09 PM

Hi All!

I posted on the last thread too. I guess I will introduce myself again:

My friends call me B, so ya'll can too, it will be easier I am 24, married to my wonderful 28 year old Army hubby. He is currently on his second deployment to Iraq. We are taking a TTC break cause of that and he has 3 sons.

I am enrolling in AAMI pretty soon. I just have to get all the money into one money order instead of cash, bank and checks from the holidays. I am super excited and really nervous. I have not been in school since I graduated HS in '03. I am hoping the course keeps me busy during the time that is left on the deployment. I can use all the distractions I can get!

Oh and I plan on enrolling in the NARM course, can I do that at a later date or do I have to do that right off the bat?

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
Old 01-02-2009, 01:37 AM

Hi Everyone, Happy New Year!:

I haven't posted to this thread for quite a while, so i'll reintroduce:

I'm Eliza, mama to almost 4 year old twin boys, AAMI enrollee and longtime slow-road midwifery student. I began my midwifery studies in 2003 and have stayed connected but only sporadically active-- i'm finding it too hard to do with my little ones and my husband's work as a musician which has him out late into the night pretty often. I plan to slowly work on AAMI, do some pp doula work, and sometime down the road look for an apprenticeship. I really yearn to do birthwork now, but i'm trying to be patient and wait till the time feels right. In the meantime i am working on a B.A. in Maternal child health and child development.

I read this thread all the time, but don't post so much since i don't have a lot going on. But i love it here and you ladies are a real source of inspiration!
It's so exciting to hear what you're all up to!

Here's to a productive and inspired new year!

Married to my love, mama to twin boys J&O (6), and expecting # 3 this December!
Old 01-02-2009, 02:01 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'll reintroduce myself on this new thread.

I'm Christa, mom of 3 children, 8, 5, and almost 3 years old. In May of 2009 I will have been apprenticing for 3 years. I started when my youngest was 12 weeks old. I think the postpartum hormones possessed me to do that lol. Between doula and homebirths, I've attended 70 something births in the past 2 1/2 years. I guess that accounts for my crazziness I can't wait for my life to slow down a little!

I own a midwifery practice with my best friend. She finished up her primary under supervision not too long ago. It has been a perfect arrangement for us. I've also got a great preceptor in another practice that is helping me learn all the things I need to know still. I love the way she practices and feel pretty fortunate to be working with her. She has been good to me. Hopefully I'll finish up my primary under supervision births sometimes this year.

Christa
Old 01-02-2009, 11:18 AM

I am in the middle of my second year of a local midwifery school. And I just started apprenticing with my midwife this past September. Before that, I provided labor support in between having my own babies for the last 9 1/2 years. I also taught childbirth classes at a hospital for 3 years, and am looking forward to teaching again very soon (but in a private setting).

I am planning on going to the Farm workshop in April, and probably again in August. Anyone else going?

I lurked over on the 2008 forum, so lots of you are familiar. Looking forward to watching all of your stories unfold this year. :
Old 01-02-2009, 09:16 PM

This is for those WA AAMI students.

I was told by someone on another board today that I probably wouldn't be able to get licensed in Washington if I attended AAMI. Is this true? The licensing requirements state that you have to go to an accredited school and AAMI is not. However, I was under the impression that if I took the NARM I would be okay.

I just got the money together to enroll today. I have it in a money order ready to go and now this is scaring me off.

Its starting to feel like things are stacked against me in this dream

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
Old 01-02-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
I have a friend in the fast track program in Toronto, don't know if it is the same University.
Are you planning to go to that school?
Yes, the school I am planning on applying to is in Toronto.

Dh and I are trying to work out the piece around needing good supports. My mom is a good help at times but we *need* other options. I'm thinking we'll have to pay for help at times.

Dh is scared by the thought of taking on loans for the clinic piece. What are we looking at in terms of $ I wonder? We will also likely have to sell our condo while I'm doing clinic and move to rental accom. as we won't be able to afford our mortgage and everything. Has anyone else BTDT and lived to tell? TIA

Old 01-02-2009, 10:00 PM

Hi... I'm Joyce and I'm a second year midwifery student in a distance academic program at Michigan School of Traditional Midwifery and am very happy to finally be following my calling. I am currently a doula supporting local women and families. I also work part time as a parenting support worker for a local non-profit that offers support to low income families and individuals.

I am thinking of all my midwifery student sisters and wishing smooth success and happiness to you all on this wonderful path.

I'll be attending the Midwifery Today Conference in March. Hope to see at least some of you there.

Thanks for this thread and all best in 2009!

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 PM

I have just applied for a CNM program. It's a three year program. During the first year I get my RN and the last two years I specialize in midwifery. I won't find out until mid-February whether or not I get in but this is what I have been praying for. Right now I'm preparing for my interview in late January.

I guess I technically won't actually be a midwifery student until Fall 2010 but I'm so excited that I wanted to join you ladies.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

kimiij, you can still be a midwifery student now ... it's the goal you have!!

Here's my intro:

I'm Erin, mom of 4 kids, living overseas. I'm doing my midwifery studies with AAMI. I enrolled over a year ago but deferred my start date until last August when my youngest 2 were a year old. I've hit the ground running and am working hard at it. Plans for this year are for going to a birth center in Bali to get some clinical experience. Plan to submit tons of work too.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 01-03-2009, 07:39 AM

whew! made it!

: blogging about life, beauty, crafting, healing, waldorf...

Old 01-03-2009, 01:56 PM

Hi. I'm Shelley. I am an AAMI student. After enrolling in AAMI, I decided to pursue the CNM path instead of DEM. I decided this when my husband started getting laid off with his job and I realized we need something a little more stable and reliable financially. So I am a studen at my local university finishing up prereqs for an accelerated RN program. Then I plan on going for my CNM. I am also still working on AAMI because I think that all the learning I can do will help me in the future.

I am also the mother to two beautiful daughters. Eleanor is 3 and Mallory was just born in November. So all in all I'm pretty busy with my family, AAMI, and university.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:07 PM

I wasn't very active on the 2008 thread but I read it regularly. I'll reintroduce too.

My name is allison. I am a single homeschooling mom to four kids ages 16, 11, 9, and 6. I also have a 19 yr old and her 2 yr old dd living with me. I started with MTB last year in april. I work with a local midwife as her assistant. I love working with her. we do between 1-3 births a month. I feel like I have learned so much.
Hopefully, I will be able to be more involved in this thread this year.

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
Old 01-04-2009, 01:57 AM

Hey, finally found this new thread! Happy 2009 everyone!
I'm Jen, mom of 4 married to my honey of 18 years.
I'm 36 and an assistant and apprentice midwife. I'm also heading back to school this semester for my RN and then on to Frontier, probably, for my dual CNM/NP. I need to be able to make more money than I can as a CPM in my area, which is still unlicensed and insurance reimbursment is a dream.
I just attended my first Amish birth which was really fun and a first time mom too, so she was thrilled to have her first little baby.
I'll be doing lots of homework this semester, taking Physiology, Anatomy and Chem. 101 and some type of elective, music appreciation or something... lol.
Just crossing my fingers that I get accepted to the RN program that starts fall of 09.

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

Old 01-04-2009, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hi, I lurked on the 2008 thread, when I wasn't nearly as active in the midwifery community, but now that I am back in full swing, I gotta come out of hiding.

I'm Kailia. I have an amazing partner and 3 wild and sweet boys, 4, 3, and 1 years old. I have been studying midwifery actively since 2005, when I became a doula, and have 2 shortish apprenticeships under my belt. I stopped hands on training for a while after Mateo(the baby) was born, and missed the heck out of it. This November I spent a month at Casa, which was great, and pursued the opportunity to take on a year long apprenticeship in Oregon.

So now I am moving from the east coast to the west coast to learn midwifery at a birth center in OR. I will come through on the otherside calling myself a midwife, and I'm super thrilled!

I hope I can stay active on this thread.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:49 PM

I'll introduce myself officially for the first time. I'm Beth, just applied to AAMI. I live in Germany, while my DH is deployed, with our 3 DC.

Question for those who have worked abroad. After the Army we are hoping to get into the nation building business, probably with an NGO. Do I need a CNM? Or do people do it with a CPM and a degree? I am definately more called to the CPM mindset, and have no interest in hospital work, but if the CNM is going to make getting work easier....?

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
Old 01-04-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLuna Rayne View Post
This is for those WA AAMI students.

I was told by someone on another board today that I probably wouldn't be able to get licensed in Washington if I attended AAMI. Is this true? The licensing requirements state that you have to go to an accredited school and AAMI is not. However, I was under the impression that if I took the NARM I would be okay.

I just got the money together to enroll today. I have it in a money order ready to go and now this is scaring me off.

Its starting to feel like things are stacked against me in this dream

I sure hope not! I am an AAMI student and am doing the PEP NARM process. It isn't the easiest way to get a license in Washington but it should work. There are currently maybe 10 licensed midwives who did not going to Seattle Midwifery or Bastyr. At least 1 went to AAMI. Of course there are no guarantees but I am still comfortable with my decision. I just preferred the ideology of AAMI vs SMS for myself. As far as getting an apprenticeship, I really lucked out. I kind of just had it fall into my lap. She did not go to SMS.
I just added 2nd apprenticeship this past month. She is a bastyr grad so is a ND and LM.

It really is a personal decision. Some might think it is going to be just too difficult to get licensed this way but I think it will be worth it.

Allison, mom to 3, midwife,

User Tag List