Mothering Forum banner

Midwifery Today Conference and a toddler?

828 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  weliveintheforest 
#1 ·
I know women bring babes in arms, but what about a walking 15 month old? It will be much too long for us to be apart if I leave him at home. I'm hoping to find childcare in Eugene, but I may have to have him with me some of the time.

I would love to go, but have a hard time imagining this working out very well.

I do know I have the rest of my life to attend conferences, but if I can make this work it would be so nice.

#2 ·
Bring a babysitter or family member.
You will risk being asked to leave, I've seen it happen.

Also consider how horrible it will be for your toddler to be stuck at a conference all day and you having to keep him quiet and in your lap the whole day.

#3 ·
I don't think it'd be a problem if you had childcare there, and they stayed out in the hall unless he needed you.

#4 ·
I've done it before, but since I live in the area, I brought dh with me. It still wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been, though, as ds still needed me lots and often. I missed lots of the sessions. I was never asked to leave, but only because as soon as he started getting loud, I would hop up and leave on my own. It wasn't as lesiurly as I like conferences to be, but doable. There are invariably other toddlers there, too.

Ds is 5 this month, and I am very excited about going to the conference this March kid-free!

#5 ·
With a family member or babysitter it is very doable.
I go to a lot of conferences ( to maintain certifications) and toddlers are always around but with someone helping the mom outside the room or in the room for a short while to nurse, hug or have lunch together,
The mom was asked to leave the room when she had a toddler running around, clearly the child was not happy being confined and told to shhhhh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.