Bicornuate Uterus and breech baby at 24 weeks. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-09-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this is at all in the right place; I will gladly move it to a more appropriate sub-forum if need be.

I am 24 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I also have a bicornuate uterus (heart-shaped, not two-chambered). I haven't had any problems or complications thus far.

However, I'm getting concerned. I'd really really like to avoid a c-section and this little one is currently hanging out as a footling breech. And has been ever since I started feeling movement. I can recall maybe 2 or 3 time where baby was kicking me at or near the belly button instead of in my pelvis, lower tummy or bladder. Once, I noticed baby was transverse. But, on the whole, breech Little One has been.

I am terrified of this little one being stuck in a breech position. I live in Shanghai, so I know a natural breech delivery is not really an option. The doctors/ midwives just won't do it and they are c-section happy anyway. I need to get the baby flipped head down or I will have to have a c-section.

Any advice, suggestions etc? What can I do? I was trying not to worry, but I really want baby head down soon, before they get stuck on the septum and are too big to flip around.

Thank you so much for any advice you can give me. If you could put me in contact with someone experienced with this particular problem, I'd also be grateful.

#2 of 9 Old 01-09-2009, 09:03 PM

I know breech is more common in women with a bicornate uterus. On the other hand we don't usually get concerned until at least 30-32 weeks gestation. Would a version be a possiblility at term if you were still breech? There are all sorts of natural methods to try and turn a breech baby but it probably wouldn't make a great deal of difference to start them now.
#3 of 9 Old 01-09-2009, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishymama View Post
I know breech is more common in women with a bicornate uterus. On the other hand we don't usually get concerned until at least 30-32 weeks gestation. Would a version be a possiblility at term if you were still breech? There are all sorts of natural methods to try and turn a breech baby but it probably wouldn't make a great deal of difference to start them now.
Well, every thing I have read says flipping a breech baby that late in a bicornuate uterus is nearly impossible. They are just too big to fit around the septum. It's better to get them stuck head down than breech, because after a certain time there is no turning back. I honestly have not looked in to a version, though it doesn't sound ideal. Looks like I need to do more research.

Thank you.
#4 of 9 Old 01-09-2009, 10:01 PM

Well, I'm not a BP (nothing more than an aspiring doula at this point) but both my sister and I have a uterine septum, so I'll share what I know from experience.

My DS was breech well into my second trimester but he managed to turn at some point without any outside help. I'm not really sure how in the world he did it or when (I never felt it) but at one u/s, he was breech, and the next he was head down. Also, he has a joint deformity, and his legs pretty much looked like a pretzel, so I'm still trying to figure out how it was even possible without me feeling it, but he managed to do it anyway!

My nephew was transverse the majority of my sister's pregnancy. She tried SO hard to get him to turn SOME way because its obviously impossible to deliver a transverse baby yet there is some hope if the baby is breech. And lo and behold, he wound up turning frank breech, which is the best position to be in if they're breech. She had an u/s the day before her c/s and everything but her OB failed to mention that he was now in that position until after she was being cut open. :

So... That being said, check out the site http://spinningbabies.com/. There are tons of tips there on how to get your baby into optimal position for labor and delivery.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#5 of 9 Old 01-09-2009, 10:10 PM

I have a RLF who went through this 3x, she had 2 c/s then a breech hba2c. I can put you in touch with her if you'd like, PM me.
I would explore the option of vaginal breech. Start making it know that you *expect* this and a care provider may come out of the woodwork...
In the meantime, ECV with an experienced practitioner is a safe option. Look for someone with a good success and 0% complications rate. Also try moxibustion. ITA you should try these now so that baby gets stuck head down not up.
GL - pm any time and please check out my website (in my sig).
xo Robin
#6 of 9 Old 01-09-2009, 10:17 PM

I have this exact condition and have had two vertex babies (pregnant with my third, so don't want to jinx myself here, knockin on wood). Anyway, it's really going to depend on how far down your septum goes. If it's like mine, it's just a little divet at the top that makes it look like a heart shape. If it goes further down to further divide the uterus, you may have more issues. But I want to give you food for thought since you are concerned about baby flipping later in pregnancy: Think of the uterus as a heart, with baby's head say at the right of the heart if you are looking at it. Baby could spin right, more right, and more right still and end up perfectly vertex. There would be no septate in the baby's way in order for baby to do that (and the same if baby's head was left of septum and spinned left to go vertex).

Remember that babies are crammed in there in strangest ways, so much weirder things have happened than having a baby flip vertex in a septate uterus. Getting over a small hump in the uterus to flip vertex is a small matter compared to the miracle of getting around a pubic bone during birth for instance.

I know you are early, but I understand completely not wanting babe to get comfy in a bad position. So I think if it would make you at least feel better to start optimal fetal positioning now, than do it. There's not much else you can do at this point to make you feel like you have control over the situation if that is what you seek.
#7 of 9 Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 PM

My mother has a septate uterus and I flipped from breech to vertex at 40+ weeks. And I weighed 9#. Strange things happen. With a 24 weeker, they're just going to flip back anyway. So try not to stress.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#8 of 9 Old 01-11-2009, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with maxmamma, try not to stress. I would definately go see a chiropractor (it may be difficult to find one who does the Webster Technique, but if you can find one, that would be the ideal)and an accupuncturist (not JUST for moxa treatment, though it has a decent success rate...but also for all the other balance accupuncture can bring you in general--it can't HURT!), just to be sure that all of your systems are in their best possible condition. I would also go to spinning babies and see if there is anything else you can do to help baby spin.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#9 of 9 Old 01-14-2009, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for the support and advice.

I have been looking around at spinning babies quite a bit and love it. I have been exercising daily and yesterday baby flipped! Kiddo is now comfy and cozy head down. I can only hope he/she stays that way now, but if not, at least I know the exercises work well!

Thanks again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page