malpractice costs for CPM's? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 01-16-2009, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this has been discussed on here, but I cannot find it using the search feature. Anyway, here in PA, we are going before the BOM with proposed regs next month. we will be meeting on saturday to discuss the regs, looking at other states, etc.

the question of malpractice insurance has come up and I have offered to do more research on the topic. I admit I don't know much about it, obviously none of us here in PA have it right now.

So, any information would be greatly appreciated. I don't mean to open a debate, just want to get the facts.

Here are the main questions, however, anyone who has other input or experience can respond here or pm me.

-If you carry malpractice, how much is it? And is it based on amount of births?
-If your state is licensed, does it require you to carry malpractice insurance? Which states do not?
-anyone with a birth center, what is malpractice like for you? I have heard some horror stories about the cost of this, but nothing in the last 3 or 4 years relating to CPM's, not CNM's.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-16-2009, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am not licensed as I am still a student but I can offer what I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi315 View Post
Here are the main questions, however, anyone who has other input or experience can respond here or pm me.

-If you carry malpractice, how much is it? And is it based on amount of births?

It is based on the number of births in our state for a homebirth practice. The quotes I got is about $4000 a year for 50 births but it can vary. That was the rate a couple years ago. I think you have to pay for so many births upfront and then any birth you do above that number, they tally it up and you owe that at the end of the year.

-If your state is licensed, does it require you to carry malpractice insurance? Which states do not?

Yes, Florida midwives must have insurance and a form they give to their client so the client is aware of that.

-anyone with a birth center, what is malpractice like for you? I have heard some horror stories about the cost of this, but nothing in the last 3 or 4 years relating to CPM's, not CNM's.

I don't really know but I have heard it's a lot more....like $15K or so.

thanks!
Hopefully somoene with more experience can help you out on this.
#3 of 9 Old 01-16-2009, 11:08 AM

from what I understand the first few years are not that expensive but it gets higher as time goes by-- remember that the insurance has to hang onto those births you have already done so the first few years you start out small but it snow balls up--
I have heard some unusual things that I will do some checking on- both things were talked about by CNMs one gal wanted to set up a collective as an investment aimed at retirement-- and the other was a comment about that the cost of malpractice went up not due to the number of settled suits but because of bad stock market investments.

#4 of 9 Old 01-16-2009, 02:06 PM

nak
texas has great mw laws and doesnt require ins.
louisiana has terrible laws but still doesnt require ins.
i *think* fl is the only state that does

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#5 of 9 Old 01-16-2009, 02:16 PM

I think that if you want to be part of the medicaid payment system in Washington state you have to have malpractice-- in the past the state underwrote mw malpractice -- I don't know if they still do.
------------------------------------------------------------
PS here is an address for a report on investments/economy driving the price of malpractice insurance not an increase in suits or settlements.

www.centerjd.org/air/StableLosses.pdf
#6 of 9 Old 01-16-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. PA is going to be forced to have some regulations in place. I don't know how to link articles, but due to the recent ruling in regards to Diane Goslin's case, we are being put under regulations from 1929, which puts us under the board of medicine.

So, the BOM is going to go ahead and start the process whether we want to or not. We have been told we can't introduce legislation while this process is going on.

We (not really me, MAP, which is Midwives Alliance of PA) wrote regulations which will be discussed tomorrow and then we will vote, change things as needed, and discuss the implications.

Unfortunately, we have lots of plain midwives and non-CPM's, which I currently am, keep postponing the exam. but we need to discuss what will happen to midwives who choose to not geet certified or licensed.

And we want to make sure we understand about the malpractice issue, which is what I volunteered to investigate. Of course, we would like to not have to have it! I have heard stories of it being 60K or more, there's no way we could afford that, the average birth around my area is about 2K or less, including all prenatals, postpartums, bloodwork, supplies, etc.

If anyone else have info, links, etc, I would appreciate it. And if you don't want your info posted here, feel free to pm me, I'll keep everything confidential, I really just want to get some numbers, ideas, and what is happening in other states. I haven't found a good link for that yet.

thanks!
#7 of 9 Old 01-16-2009, 04:34 PM

As far as I know, Florida and Washington are the only states that require malpractice insurance.
I am in Oregon, and none of the homebirth midwives carry it here. As far as I know, only one birth center in our state is going to carry it soon, and it will greatly limit which clients they can take on from what I've heard.

Good luck in PA! Its a bad rap to be governed by the BOM, imo. I hope t works out for the best!

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#8 of 9 Old 01-16-2009, 05:06 PM

you can be an LM in Washington state and not have malpractice but you won't be elegible for insurance payments- including medicaid -- so you would only to be able to take cash only clients-- I think recently New Mexico filed some sort of waiver for malpractice insurance, because of lack of availability-- does florida underwrite mw malpractice insurance?
#9 of 9 Old 01-16-2009, 05:11 PM

here is an online link to the Pen board of Medicine

http://www.dos.state.pa.us/bpoa/cwp/...=1104&q=432799

so if they are writing rules-- to match up to the laws already on the books -- requiring malpractice insurance may be beyond what they can do they may actually need a legislative change--- are other providers required to carry malpractice insurance in their rules?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page