Low cervix during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2009, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
A friend of mine went to her OB this week for her 12 week appt, and the OB did a pap. When she stuck the speculum in, she was surprised to find the cervix very low. My friend says that it is uncomfortable for her to sit, even on soft surfaces, so the low cervix explains that now.

Her question... She had a LEEP procedure done a few years ago. She knows that some side effects of the procedure can be IC or issues with dilation during labor. She has had one child 18 months ago (after the LEEP procedure) and had no problems whatsoever. Normal, vaginal birth. So she was wondering if this low cervix would have something to do with the LEEP? Is it a sign that IC could be an issue?

Her OB didn't seem concerned, and my friend will talk to her about it at her 16 week appt. She asked me to research it for her, since she is NOT googling anything.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2009, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know too much about LEEP complications or a low cervix, but did a little research for a doula client. AFAIK, the complications with LEEP are miscarriage/premature birth due to the shortening/effacing/dilating prematurely. The other complication can be a very slow early labor stage with hard contractions because of scar tissue. Once it breaks up though mamas often go from 1 or 2 cm dilated to transition. It doesn't sound like your friend had either of those problems with her first so they're probably not relevant with this pregnancy. Probably not much of a help
Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 AM

I haven't heard it called "low cervix" before, but it sounds like she might have the same thing I have. i discovered mine when I tried to use the keeper cup and no matter how hard I tried to insert it correctly, it hung half way out when I stood up..

Upon further investigation, I discovered that when I stand up, everything sags, which results in my cervix sitting pretty much at my entroitus. Does that sound like what your friend has? Mine tucks back into the proper position when I sit or lay down, but maybe hers doesn't?

I discovered this between my 2nd and third children. (may have had it before, I don't know). My third pregnancy went fine without any problems and a normal vaginal birth. Knowing about it, I was worried about carrying all that weight, and I felt like the baby would just fall out, but it really didn't feel different from my other pregnancies.

If it is something like this that she has, it is really just from weakening of the pelvic floor muscles, and I can't see the LEEP having much to do with this. (although, on a side note, it was mentioned to me that this condition might cause abnormal paps from chronic inflammation as a result of the cervix sitting where it's not supposed to). I have been told that it can be caused by the stress of pregnancy, my physical shape (tall and thin), genetics. I was told by my midwife that a pessary would be a possible remedy one I was done having children, and an OB told me that surgical repair was the only reasonable option (go figure).

Anyway, I hope this helps....

Cindi
Old 01-18-2009, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Cindi, that sounds a lot like what my friend has going on. I did ask her about prolapse. and she said the doctor didn't mention that word, it does sound a bit like prolapse to me (but I'm not a BP whatsoever and have no experience in that area). She says she does regularly do Kegels, so you'd think her pelvic floor would be strong, but who knows.

Interestingly, she *is* tall and thin. She is typically underweight when not pregnant. During pregnancy, she gains quite a bit (basically the amount she's underweight, plus the amount you should normally gain during pregnancy). Her OB commented negatively on her 10 lb weight gain in 4 weeks :, but this is my friend's 3rd child, and she knows how her body needs to gain weight, so she brushes that off.

I'll pass this info on to my friend. I think it will reassure her about the pregnancy. She wasn't *completely* freaking out, but she was at least mildly concerned enough that she called me to ask about it (since she knows I'm a birth junkie ). But this was something I'd never read about!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 01-18-2009, 08:14 PM

Mine isn't a prolapse -- nothing comes out externally, just sags. Since I noticed it, I have kegeled like mad for 3+ years (I REALLY wanted that keeper cup to work!), to no avail. It has made no difference. I think once the muscles reach a degree of compromise, maybe the toning doesn't help? Just my experience. I also had vacuum and forceps used on me for my first two births, but the OB (not the one that used them on me, one I met years later for a colposcopy) said that wouldn't cause that. I sort of don't buy that -- it seems like traumatic or even precipitous deliveries could most certainly cause something like that. Did your friend have anything like that with her first delivery?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

She had vacuum delivery with her second, and she says that tampons haven't been useable since her first was delivered. They start coming out within 2 hours. Her second baby felt like she would fall out the whole time.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! My friend is much relieved that this isn't likely to cause issues with the pregnancy. She has a lot of reproductive issues in the first place (very painful endometriosis), and will likely get a hysterectomy at some point. She has to stay on hormonal birth control all the time or she'll be in horrible pain (she was in a lot of pain when she had her IUD removed and was TTC... thankfully they were preg on the first try this time! Usually they need fertility help).

Old 01-19-2009, 02:55 PM

If it is prolapse, and it sounds like it is, I would recommend she see a physical therapist who specializes in the pelvic floor/women's health. They can see exactly where the problems stem from and give her biofeedback to help her do her Kegels correctly.

The book Lose Your Mummy Tummy also has very helpful exercises for correcting pelvic floor issues, as well as diastasis rectii which often go hand-in-hand.

I frequently recommend both to my clients. I have had the opportunity to personally experience the benefits of both too. The exercises take time to work but the benefits are worth it. And the PT is amazing, seeing the response on the biofeedback is so helpful. In my experience, having prolapse during my 2nd two pregnancies did make them more uncomfortable -- more low pelvic pressure, back pain, etc but my births were beautiful and uncomplicated. A maternity belt might help her if she is having pain -- that helped me so much when I felt like everything would just fall apart.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I've forwarded this info on. Thanks so much!

User Tag List