Driving After a C-section - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-19-2009, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I got released from the hospital, I was not told of any restrictions about driving after my C-section. However people keep freaking out when I mention taking myself somewhere. It has been 10 days since my C-section. Am I not supposed to be driving and if not for how long?

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#2 of 14 Old 01-19-2009, 10:49 PM

I had been told two weeks after both of my c-sections.

Although, I think it might have to do with medication more than they doubt your ability to drive a car at 10 days out.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#3 of 14 Old 01-19-2009, 10:54 PM

As soon as you're not taking narcotics and can step hard on the brake if you need to, it's fine.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#4 of 14 Old 01-20-2009, 12:33 AM

I was told 6 weeks. The reason they gave me was because if you have an impact the belt locking across the incision area could be potentially damaging (although this is no different if you're a passenger), or if you had to make a sudden steering correction it could potentially damage the healing tissues. Are these valid? I have no idea. But I didn't drive for 4 weeks and then really limited it for another 2 after that. not worth risking my eventual vbac without further information!
#5 of 14 Old 01-20-2009, 12:59 AM

I think I was told 2 weeks. I don't really remember for sure. They never gave me any reason, though. I thought it probably had to do with getting to a point of recovery where any risks of light-headedness and such would be gone/totally minimized.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#6 of 14 Old 01-20-2009, 01:02 AM

I was told to not drive for at least two weeks after all three of my c/s. And I stuck to it, I didn't want to go anywhere.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#7 of 14 Old 01-20-2009, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was told 6 weeks as well, BUT, I was told that this was partly because of manual transmission (this was in the UK). Supposedly, using the clutch puts more strain on the scar. We were told that if we had automatics we could drive sooner, more like 2 weeks, if we could do an emergency stop.

Whenever I tell people from the US this (and they made a big deal out of it in my antenatal classes) they look at me like I'm nuts, though.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#8 of 14 Old 01-20-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinna View Post
I was told 6 weeks. The reason they gave me was because if you have an impact the belt locking across the incision area could be potentially damaging (although this is no different if you're a passenger), or if you had to make a sudden steering correction it could potentially damage the healing tissues. Are these valid? I have no idea. But I didn't drive for 4 weeks and then really limited it for another 2 after that. not worth risking my eventual vbac without further information!
They sound like crap. I can't imagine what kind of wimpy suturing would be risked by a seat belt lock, and you're right -- the same could happen to a passenger. As for the sudden steering correction -- whatever. We don't tell women not to play with their kids after a section.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#9 of 14 Old 01-20-2009, 03:46 AM

I drove myself home from the hospital. Definitely not recommending this, but I think if *you* feel okay to drive, do it.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#10 of 14 Old 01-20-2009, 01:30 PM

I drove 5 days post-section. Felt fine.
#11 of 14 Old 01-20-2009, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

I've had to drive since 4 or 5 days post partum because of drs appts and such. I had to lie to my grandma and tell her someone was driving me to them. I told my mom the truth and regret it. She freaked out and said that I was going to hemorrhage, even though my bleeding has never been more than the end of a period. I think if anything the pain pills and BP pills would prevent me from driving. However I only feel really drowsy from them the first couple of hours.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#12 of 14 Old 01-26-2009, 04:44 PM

I was told 2 weeks or whenever a) I was off narcotics (which I was after 4 days) and b) I could step on the brakes without feeling pain in my incision area.

That being said, DH is home another week, so I don't have to drive until 3 weeks out.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#13 of 14 Old 01-26-2009, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Not a BP, but after my first vaginal birth, the hospital folks told me not to drive for 1 week, I think? The reasoning they gave was due to blood loss, etc. But I hadn't had excessive blood loss. My iron levels were great. My bp was great. I was fine.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#14 of 14 Old 01-26-2009, 05:41 PM

We were told 2 weeks (after vaginal birth even), no driving because of the fluid shifts which are still occuring at the time, apparently women are more prone to dizziness, etc. during these periods.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page