How to prepare for the NARM exam - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 02-27-2010, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Waiting for results here as well! I took it for the first time and I don't know how I feel! I definitely am second- guessing myself. Gonna be a long few weeks!

Jessica- mom to four boys ,, midwife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 02-27-2010, 04:31 PM

Yes, doing a LOT of second-guessing myself. I actually will not be surprised if I didn't pass. It was just very different than what I'd expected. I think we should get results in a week or so based on what I've hard through the grapevine. That makes me want to pass out, lol.

Gina

Gina Gerboth, CPM, IBCLC, MOM
Pueblo, Colorado
#33 of 44 Old 02-27-2010, 10:05 PM

waiting here, too...
#34 of 44 Old 02-28-2010, 12:10 PM

I have come to the conclusion, that...one day...when I actually do take the NARM exam, I am going to take it twice. The first time, just to know what to expect. And the second time, to pass.

I know its expensive, but I am a horrible test taker. And I am a person who needs to know what to expect to feel comfortable just in every day life. So, that's my plan.

Good luck to all of those waiting for results! I hope you get them soon...
don't forget to post.
#35 of 44 Old 02-28-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post
I have come to the conclusion, that...one day...when I actually do take the NARM exam, I am going to take it twice. The first time, just to know what to expect. And the second time, to pass.
Probably not a bad plan. It was just difficult, too, because there were no practice exams, so it was hard to know what to even plan for. Oh well...soon we'll know....

Gina Gerboth, CPM, IBCLC, MOM
Pueblo, Colorado
#36 of 44 Old 03-01-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post
That is just what I've been thinking. I have mw friends who tell me, "of course you'll pass, given your experience and the things you talk about that demonstrate your knowledge...the NARM is after all for 'basic' midwifery knowledge testing" But then...I don't know. I have a friend who failed once (it was very close, though) who has tons more experience than me. Besides, I'm kinda lazy--I can't imagine putting in 'cram' time with Varney or even Frye! Still, I've done a ton of reading/studying over time, taken classes at the Uni here, stay active on some boards and learn a lot every day--so maybe I can pass on the first go anyway--especially because I *am* a good test taker (thanks be--part of my above friends problem was *not* having that natural test-taking talent). But, if I fail, then at least I'll have a solid idea of what to expect on the 2nd go.

Then again, there's the cost involved ....so who knows. It's getting close for me, hoping for late 2010 or early '11 readiness. Because of a long break from practice, and needing to get my numbers current (and doing PEP), I have to wait and see. Not to mention saving the $$$. *And* get my paperwork together--UGH! That's the part I really loathe to think about! Where's a good secretary when you need one???
#37 of 44 Old 06-17-2010, 12:07 PM

How is studying for the NARM going? What book is good for the nutrition and herbal questions? Getting nervous now!
#38 of 44 Old 06-18-2010, 12:29 PM

Two questions regarding the NARM:
One are you still required to take a pharmacology class? I can't find the info on the website. Any other college classes required?

Two- can you take the NARM exam before you finish all of your required births? Or do they need to be completed first?

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#39 of 44 Old 06-18-2010, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post
Two questions regarding the NARM:
One are you still required to take a pharmacology class? I can't find the info on the website. Any other college classes required?

Two- can you take the NARM exam before you finish all of your required births? Or do they need to be completed first?
The NARM exam does not require pharmacology class. If you need to take one would depend on your state requirements and school requirements.

Nope, you cannot do the exam before you finish the births. You finish all the experience parts first, fill out your application and send that in, then do the skills exam, and then do the written exam. It is not unusual to finish you experience MONTHS before you actually take the exam (I finished up the clinical stuff 10 months before I was able to sit the exam).

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#40 of 44 Old 06-18-2010, 07:07 PM

K thanks.
That answered my questions.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#41 of 44 Old 07-12-2010, 08:34 PM

How is the studying going for NARM?? As I read the books, I feel comfortable I understand what they are saying, then when I think about it later in the day it all becomes jumbled in my head!!! I would like to understand what parts are going to be more important to learn!! I take it a lot of times we should answer the question with the safest answer ie dial 911, as apposed to what we might really do!!
#42 of 44 Old 01-24-2012, 09:21 PM

Anyone else taking NARM next month?  I am going to Vicki PEnwell's study retreat as well.  Anyone have any other last minute pointers? 

Shannon, Daughter of the King, Wife to Christopher, Blessed Mom of 3 Boys. Homeschool, SAHM, and midwife. 

#43 of 44 Old 01-25-2012, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'd love to hear about how the study retreat goes after you've gone. I'm considering doing it in early 2013 (which is when I'd hope to take the NARM).

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#44 of 44 Old 07-12-2012, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

I'd love to hear about how the study retreat goes after you've gone. I'm considering doing it in early 2013 (which is when I'd hope to take the NARM).

phathui5, are you still planning on taking NARM in early 2013?  I'll be testing in February.  There is a facebook NARM study group here:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/315183961901456/

Also, has anyone used the Certified Midwives Exam Secrets book to help study for NARM?  A couple of my classmates are using it and said it's very helpful.  But...it's 50 bucks and I'm not sure if it's going to just repeat every other midwifery text that I already own.

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page