Midwives: Would you/could you hire an R.N.? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2009, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got my R.N. licensure and had planned to work in L&D on my way to my CNM. I have experience as a volunteer birth assistant as I've been keen on learning as much as I can and engrossing myself in my local birth community.

A job in L&D is looking pretty unlikely for the time being- internships are few and far between, but this is my passion! Do midwives ever hire R.N.'s for birth assistants or for any other purpose?

Is there a place for nurses in ooh births at all?

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 08:14 PM

I'm not a birth professional but just wanted to let you know that the natural birthing center near me has a couple of R.N's on staff. I'm not totally sure of the job descriptions but I know as a patient an RN met me during a prenatal visit, attended my birth and helped with our care after the baby was born.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Depending on where you live, you might find that no, you will not be hired as an RN. You may, however, be hired as a birth assistant or apprentice who has RN experience (so you can chart, you can do blood pressures, draw blood, etc). You might also find that your certification disallows you from working at homebirths AS an RN. As far as experience goes, though, it will certainly broaden your experience when it comes to birth and what it can look like, as opposed to working in some L&D units in our country (again, that depends on where you live, there are a couple of RNs here who are REALLY lucky and work in awesome birthing units!).

However, as pp mentioned, you might be lucky enough to be in a place where you can work at a birth center or something like that... good luck!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:37 AM

The Birth Centers in my area are staffed with RN's that work alongside the midwives at the birth and other patient related duties..

You never know, maybe a large multi midwife practice needs a RN on staff for routine patient care.

Around here RN's are part of the staff at all OB doctors offices, they do all the patient prenatal care and have the real relationship with pregnant women.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:56 PM

Right out of nursing school I was hired into a freestanding birth center owned by a CNM. The RN was the second attendant at the birth, stayed with the family postpartum until discharge (6-12 hours), and did the follow up home visits. It was a great job that I absolutely adored. As I am preparing for my first job as a hospital-based CNM I am so grateful for the grounding in normal birth that I received in that ooh setting. There are positions out there - good luck!

(oh, and this one wasn't advertising a job when I got hired....I sent out resumes and letters of interest to several places, this birth center happened to have someone leaving when my letter arrived)

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif

User Tag List