Upset about a friend's birth - I think this is malpractice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-17-2009, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just heard about a friend's SIL's birth going on in AL. Don't know if the baby is born yet but here's what I've been told:

Her water broke last night (she's term)
Her contractions were stopped by hospital staff because the doctors weren't there
Her contractions were restarted with pit this am :

Now I just don't get stopping her contractions because a dr wasn't there. She's a first time mom! It would likely have been am before she was ready to push anyway. Now her body has been put through artificial contractions and on top of that they haven't been successful with the epi she requested.

I feel so bad for her, but more so angry at the staff and drs! I already knew this dr and hospital had a very unhealthy approach to birth with liberal episiotomys and inductions pushed at 38 wks, but to stop a healthy labor b/c it's night????? I think this is clear malpractice, and I'm also concerned that if she hasn't delivered by now that she will be given a c-section.

The majority of ladies in this community don't know not to trust the dr's recs or that they can refuse. (My friend thought I was endangering my baby by going to my EDD - labor started on it's own 2 days later) If they don't know to speak up, who will?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 AM

I had a client that had this happen to her and it was heartbreaking. Each time the doctor wanted to leave the hospital to a) go out to eat with her family b) go to some other event, etc where she didn't want to be disturbed she would stop the mom's contractions by pulling off the Pitocin and then she would crank it way up when she returned in the hopes of hurrying things along. To say the least this poor mother went to he!! and back and it took her three days to birth her baby and two doulas (I relieved the first doula who was with her for half the time and I was with her the other half). It was horrible to watch and heartbreaking.
#3 of 5 Old 03-18-2009, 01:09 AM

I had a situation where a Mom requested the doc to take out her epidural so she could push her baby out. The doc REFUSED and had her in a C/S after only an hour of "not progressing" pushing. Client yelled for the epi to come out - doc just down right said NO.

Malpractice. I would say so in your case and the one I mentioned. Sure....but nobody does anything about it!
#4 of 5 Old 03-19-2009, 11:58 AM

That absolutely sounds like malpractice. How awful. How did you friend end up doing?
#5 of 5 Old 03-19-2009, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Baby was born around 7 pm that night. Everyone is healthy, but I'm sure she is going to need a lot of time to resolve her birth experience since it was basically an unplanned natural.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page