Newborn Spitting up Blood First Day - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-23-2009, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How normal/abnormal is this?

I have a client whos baby has been admitted to the NICU. He was born a happy healthy 8 lb. 11 oz. boy. VBAC, great normal labor. Long early phase - Mom reported loss of mucous plug and bloody show for approx. 3 days before birth. Very tolerable early labor with mild contrax that she slept through. Active labor probably 6 to 8 hrs. before birth.

Anyway. In hospital baby coughed up blood on two different occasions. Took him to the NICU for evaluation. Mom was told his breathing was "slightly" fast. X-ray done of lungs. Fluid found in one lung. Mom was told this might be normal or might be infection. Baby started on antibiotics because of fluid in lung and coughing up blood (brown).

Tomorrow there is a recheck to see if fluid is still present. She was told if fluid is not present then baby does not have infection and baby can go home. If fluid is still present baby stays. They are limiting breastfeeding due to slightly elevated breathing. They are telling her she can nurse if breathing "stays reasonable".

Thoughts? I tend to think the isolation from Mom and her breast is going to far for "slightly" elevated breathing in an otherwise healthy looking baby. I told her to go sit by him at least and let him hear her talking/singing and smell her. To ask the nurse to hold him etc.......

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
#2 of 9 Old 03-23-2009, 11:11 PM

I would personally insist on kangaroo care, elevation is best for chest fluid and kangaroo care would be perfect for that. As far as BFing, I think that if he is nursing fine there should be no reason not to. He needs that colostrum so bad right now while fighting that! Looking for what others say.

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#3 of 9 Old 03-23-2009, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you mean bright red blood or dried up blood?

Just as the doctor came in the room to send us home the day after DD#2 was born, she spit up some mucus that was full of "coffee grounds". My husband and I was a bit alarmed. The GP who was our doctor said, "Oh, that's just dried up blood. Happens all the time. . . nothing to worry about." She did it 2 or 3 times that day. No biggie.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#4 of 9 Old 03-23-2009, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novella View Post
Do you mean bright red blood or dried up blood?

Just as the doctor came in the room to send us home the day after DD#2 was born, she spit up some mucus that was full of "coffee grounds". My husband and I was a bit alarmed. The GP who was our doctor said, "Oh, that's just dried up blood. Happens all the time. . . nothing to worry about." She did it 2 or 3 times that day. No biggie.
It was old blood - dried up blood.

Mother to FOUR BOYS!!  Austin (1997) Luke (2005) Mason (2007) and Judah (2010), wife to Joe, doula to many, and Birthing From Within Mentor in SE Michigan
#5 of 9 Old 03-23-2009, 11:58 PM

Yes. What kind of blood? Is he spitting it up or coughing it up? Coughing up blood with respiratory symptoms ,breathing fast, and a confirmation of fluid on X-ray , certainly concerning. SPitting up old blood can be normal, coughing it up, not so much.

Healthy *looking* doesn't really mean squat. I've seen many many sick babies who started out looking just fine.

I hope baby and mom get to go home together and that it isn't anything serious.
#6 of 9 Old 03-24-2009, 12:13 AM

Does mom have any injuries to her breasts/nipples?

-Angela
#7 of 9 Old 03-24-2009, 10:46 AM

I wonder about breasts, too.

I've seen some babies to spit up blood that most likely came from mama's breast. Never verified, but with baby being asymptomatic otherwise, and the bleeding disappeared soon, no testing was done.

But yes, important to distinguish between what is vomited and what is coughed up, as mentioned by pp.
#8 of 9 Old 03-24-2009, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

No injuries to beasts/nipples. The blood issues were only hours after birth. And from what Mom says it was "spit up". I should find out more today.

#9 of 9 Old 03-24-2009, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sometimes babies swallow a bit of maternal blood during the birthing process and then spit that up. One of my own kids did this. It started a few hours after the birth and she spit up a few times in about 2 hours with this brown blood and then that was it and it was done. It looked like this:
http://newborns.stanford.edu/PhotoGallery/Blood1.html

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page