Severe Anemia and HB - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-24-2009, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this in the Homebirth Forum but I figured you all would have some good advice as well.

Along with a whole list of other complications I've been dealing with this pregnancy (premature labor and 2 hospitalizations) I've now been told that I'm severely anemic. As in if I can't get my levels up in the next 4 weeks I'm not safe to homebirth. So what I'm doing in the next 4 weeks to work on this is taking SlowFe twice a day, taking my Floradix, and just added some alfafa capsules to the mix. I'm also planning on bulking up on my leafy greens as well as red meats (which I'm not a fan of). I'm pretty much up for eating anything that'll help so long as it works fast. Has anyone had issues with severe anemia and what worked best for you as far as getting your levels up in a timely manner?? After just being in the hospital for premature labor I'm 100% I DON'T want to birth there....I just can't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-24-2009, 05:59 PM

I understand that "yellow dock" and "blood builder" are both natural iron supliments that often do better at bringing up the levels than the prescriptions...they are both OTC. The local midwives here recommend them.

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
#3 of 7 Old 03-24-2009, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlehandsdoula View Post
I understand that "yellow dock" and "blood builder" are both natural iron supliments that often do better at bringing up the levels than the prescriptions...they are both OTC. The local midwives here recommend them.
I've heard of yellow dock but not blood builder. I will try to NFS though. Thanks so much!!

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
#4 of 7 Old 03-24-2009, 11:41 PM

What are your hemoglobin/hematocrit levels?

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#5 of 7 Old 03-25-2009, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reha View Post
What are your hemoglobin/hematocrit levels?
I didn't actually look at them as I was in the hospital and didn't really think about it with everyting going through my head. I will be getting a copy of the records though. I think they were like 9 and 28.

#6 of 7 Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 AM

With that type of deadline go get a iron infusion. It takes 10 minutes.
Get a referral to a hematologist.

It is so amazing how great you feel in a short time and works quickly unlike all the home remedies you are taking that can take months!

BTDT!
#7 of 7 Old 03-25-2009, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewi View Post
With that type of deadline go get a iron infusion. It takes 10 minutes.
Get a referral to a hematologist.

It is so amazing how great you feel in a short time and works quickly unlike all the home remedies you are taking that can take months!

BTDT!
Thanks Dewi I will look into it. Perhaps if she refers me to the OB group she keeps as backup perhaps they'll do it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page