Is laughing gas safe while pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-03-2009, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a dentist appt. tomorrow afternoon and I need to know if laughing gas is safe. I don't know for sure that I'm pregnant but we are TTC and I have a strong feeling about this month. I looked online and found conflicting reports on the safety. Since I haven't confirmed yet I'm sure it would be fine since many women go to the dentist without knowing they are pregnant but I'll need to go back several times in the next few weeks to have it finished. I'm a total chicken when it comes to the dentist and don't know if I can do it without the gas, funny huh since I homebirth.

Katana - Full time student : and SAHM to 5 kids
Boy / Girl Twins born 5/5/2010!!!
#2 of 4 Old 04-03-2009, 02:47 AM

It is "probably" ok.

Is there any chance that you can put off getting this work done until after your first trimester? Or at least until you know if you are PG or not? If not, I'd suggest getting only the novacaine as it is a local anesthetic and it is better to have dental work done than to ignore it and possibly get an abscess or have an infection that spreads throughout the body.

The only studies I've seen/read about laughing gas was one back in the nineties that showed that repeated exposure lead to fertility problems, but that was in dental hygenists and dentists. So, most likely, being exposed a couple of times won't do anything, but that is entirely up to you what you are comfortable with.

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.
#3 of 4 Old 04-03-2009, 02:52 AM

Nitrous oxide is used as pain relief in labour over here (combined with oxygen.) If you're not pregnant yet (or only just pregnant) there's no placenta or shared blood supply so you should be entirely fine.

Your chart looks really good, btw

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#4 of 4 Old 04-03-2009, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies,
Unfortunately I only have dental insurance until mid May so I do have to get it all done now. I have a broken molar (ouch) and begging gum problems so they are doing a under the gum cleaning, which requires shots. And I'm hoping my chart keeps up. The closer it gets to test day the more nervous I get about AF coming and ruining my parade.

Katana - Full time student : and SAHM to 5 kids
Boy / Girl Twins born 5/5/2010!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page