Garlic, pregnancy, & miscarriage - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-24-2009, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been studying herbs & plant medicines for a number of years and have come across some conflicting information about garlic.

Does anyone here have any experiences to share about using garlic during pregnancy. Some articles I have read say that large amounts of garlic can induce miscarriage, while others say that garlic is helpful in treating high blood pressure.

Also, any differentiation between fresh raw garlic and the standardized tablets?

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#2 of 12 Old 04-24-2009, 08:35 PM

Once you start messing with standardization - it's a totally different ballgame. I cannot speak about the standardized or otherwise messed with tablets, because I know nothing about them. Yes, there is a big enough difference between them.

The two actions you speak of - inducing m/c and lowering BP in pregnancy are not conflicting.

I'm sure one would have to consume massive and excessive quantities of garlic (or any other herb or herbal combination) to miscarry, and only in the first trimester.
High blood pressure due to Pre-eclampsia is a late second, early third trimester phenomena which I have no personal experience in treating with garlic.

I'm not sure I understand your question completely... I have used garlic medicinally in pregnancy, and have good results. It's also an herb that is commonly used in cuisine so if there were serious issues with its usage in pregnancy - it would be well known.

I guess I should update my signature so that I say that I'm an herbalist... I'll be right on that.

Clinical Herbalist. Trained but never certified, licensed, or registered as a midwife.
07/10/09
#3 of 12 Old 04-24-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your reply.

I think my post was a little confusing, so I edited.

What I've been reading is that large amounts of garlic can act as a blood thinner, and I was wondering if that action is what causes the worry when it comes to causing miscarriage, or if it is believed to be a uterine contractor. Also, I haven't seen any actual studies or data to confirm this miscarriage issue, so I was wondering about that as well.

I have seen some good results in reducing BP as well as cholesterol in myself using garlic, but I always use the fresh.

Is garlic not recommended for the first trimester?

#4 of 12 Old 04-25-2009, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
so it helps reduce some bp, also works as an antibiotic/antifungal, it can do some blood thinning but not a considerable amount - not say as much as fish oil or aspirin - it also tends to increase NO which is what is needed at the placental site both for mom and baby's circulation to intertwine well and pass nutrients easily-- as for the potential blood thinning and miscarriage it seems to be a more common treatment to use some type of blood thinner- from baby aspirin to heprin to keep circulation open around the placental site- or atleast that is the theory - so if anything garlic if used in an amount that would reduce clotting would also work similar to the other treatments to prevent miscarriage.
------------------
the issue may be that microcirculation is compromised so implantation is not as successful as may be due to pre-existing BP/cholestrol-
#5 of 12 Old 04-25-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
What I've been reading is that large amounts of garlic can act as a blood thinner, and I was wondering if that action is what causes the worry when it comes to causing miscarriage, or if it is believed to be a uterine contractor. Also, I haven't seen any actual studies or data to confirm this miscarriage issue, so I was wondering about that as well.
Yeah. I was kinda wondering the same thing. My trusted books say that there were in vitro studies that lead to the conclusion that garlic is a uterine stimulant. Whatever that means. I'm just glad that I don't live in a petri dish - it seems like more bad things happen there. Like I said before (but in a more extreme fashion) I'd like to see someone actually miscarry by eating garlic... I think one's stomach would prevent this from actually happening.

So, in order to answer your first trimester question. I personally would not hesitate to use garlic in medicinal quantities during any part of pregnancy including the first trimester. I might not suggest medicinal quantities of garlic if someone was threatening a miscarriage... but this is a standard precaution due to its blood thinning action.
I suppose other herbalists might be more reserved than I, and proscribe garlic altogether along with chamomile teabags and the sprig of parley that comes with the fish too.

Clinical Herbalist. Trained but never certified, licensed, or registered as a midwife.
07/10/09
#6 of 12 Old 04-25-2009, 05:59 AM

what kind of "uterine activity"? I have found research that talks about anti-tumor effects- including uterine tumors- and I have found info/studies on Pre eclampsia and normal placentation - with thoughts that it is immunemodulating "We thus conclude that garlic may have an immunomodulatory effect on normal and preeclamptic placentas." but I have yet to find a study that suggests undefined uterine activity-- now both the above studies could broadly be termed as uterine activity but not in the sense of stimulating labor/miscarriage -- could you direct me to the info you have?

--------
I searched through Google books and read what Briggs had to say about the safety of garlic in pregnancy and lactation- pages 808-810 of the current ed. - they generally think it is safe and do point to another book that mentions uterine activity I will look further-
i---- I personally have and would take theraputic amounts of garlic in pregnancy and have known moms who have but also say that if you feel like it is a problem- then don't take it
#7 of 12 Old 04-25-2009, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting!

I have nothing mentioned about uterine 'activity' in any of my books...but of course online there are lots of undocumented statements mysteriously citing that large amounts of garlic can induce miscarriage. This thread is coming up in my searches too.

I also wonder what would be considered a large amount, because I know that we have to be talking about a very large amount should it have any effect on the uterus. Mwherbs, what would you consider to be a theraputic amount? Also, I wonder if there are differences in consuming an amount of garlic in one sitting vs spread out over the course of the day.

More research....

#8 of 12 Old 04-25-2009, 12:22 PM

a therapeutic amount--so some depends on how you use it and to what end strep throat I use a fairly large amount same with treating other infections systemically- although I have found that something like pickled garlic gets eaten more often and in higher doses- and not as biting- 3-7 cloves at a time several times a day- but in soup I will make a 40 + clove garlic soup (J Rose's recipes )-or we make garlic and ginger lemonade- that could have 40 or so cloves in it or roasted garlic- I'll eat a whole bulb at a time--
BP what works to bring about the result I want 2 raw cloves 3-4 times a day or more -- so mostly it depends on what will work
I am fairly careful when and if I use it topically - and would only use denatured washes and have only used garlic oil for ear infections
#9 of 12 Old 04-25-2009, 01:24 PM

Interesting... because my BP tends to climb a little at the end of my 2nd trimester and so the last two pgs I ended up supplementing with a food based Cal/Mag and Kyolic.

As for uterine activity, I did experience a lot of prodromal labor. Hmm. But then again, I don't think I would blame it on the garlic to the fact that I had a similar labor pattern in the pg when I didn't use garlic.

What are the standardized tablets- are they an Rx?
#10 of 12 Old 04-26-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What are the standardized tablets- are they an Rx?
No, they are easily purchased everywhere online & at the grocery store.

#11 of 12 Old 04-26-2009, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
BP what works to bring about the result I want 2 raw cloves 3-4 times a day or more -- so mostly it depends on what will work
Thanks mwherbs. That's about the amount I am using, though I often use it in fresh minced form. It comes chopped and stored in water, so I hope I am getting all of the same benefits as using cloves I've peeled myself. ??

#12 of 12 Old 04-26-2014, 07:12 PM

Its possible that the whole idea of it being a urine contractor and possible cause of miscarriage could have something to do with its anti-biotic affects.  Its possible someone made a conclusion from that that it would cause those things to occur being that in the first trimester you body is differentiating between your baby being a fetus or something harmful that it needs to expel or attack.  However, I still think that it is far reaching, especially being that there has been no studies on the subject.   If garlic were truly causing miscarriages, we would know about it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page