Mothering Forum banner

initial consults

642 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  CarolynnMarilynn 
#1 ·
hi all, looking for some advice and new tricks here in regard to initial consults. i have been in practice as a midwife or childbirth professional over the last decade, but am really running into a rut with the initial consult. The last few consults I have had have been "flat" and I really feel like it may have cost me some business. I need to wrap myself around some "spark" and being consistent with consults. Maybe I am not putting myself out there enough? Blah.. need some inspiration again. What do you think? what do you say? do you have an outline? one of my faults is that i hate talking myself up, and hate feeling like I have to "sell" who i am. but, i think if i talk passionately about midwifery too much, i lose people too. argh. ?????

#2 ·
First off

not what you are asking specifically but I am going to ask- when was the last time you took a vacation?

how about having an apprentice sit in on initials or even have a senior apprentice be the primary one to do the interview with you sitting in on it

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
First off

not what you are asking specifically but I am going to ask- when was the last time you took a vacation?

how about having an apprentice sit in on initials or even have a senior apprentice be the primary one to do the interview with you sitting in on it
First off, I totally agree with the above post.

Secondly, I just wanted to say I know how you feel. Sometimes I get nervous and am also not a fan of talking myself up. It is hard I think to create the right mix of 'saleswoman' 'passionate about women serving women' and that you are a great midwife (myself a doula).

On the otherhand maybe you just need to recharge.

Bringing in an apprentice might do a couple things, fill in gaps in conversation, be able to talk you up a bit, and also observe you in a sense to give you ideas of how things went/suggestions.

goodluck!

#5 ·
I think one thing that really makes a good impression is if you are really "present" with the woman. Really listening and taking in what she wants, what she's looking for, and hearing her concerns. I think it's also important to give a sense of your philosophies and framework. I think a midwife has to demonstrate real caring for the individual and who she is in her core and her context, and to demonstrate that tricky balance of being with woman and being able to guide her when the situation, or woman, needs guidance. We have to strike that balance between standing with, and sometimes, holding up. And often, even standing aside.

On a practical note, I usually start by saying a real genuine woman to woman "Hi! Nice to meet you! I'm Carolynn" and then asking what brought the woman to midwifery care and what she knows about it. Then I talk about midwifery more generally, my practice more specifically, then my own beliefs and practices as a midwife. Then I ask what is on her mind, and what questions and concerns she has. Then I suggest she can either take time to consider her choices, or that we can continue on and delve into starting a chart. If she wants to continue I ask her to share her birth story/stories, if she has had babies/pregnancies before. I wrap up by inviting them to call me if any questions pop into their head, or if they want to talk again before scheduling a first visit. They leave with a handout on the midwifery scope of practice in my province and a 10 page booklet specific to my practice.

I hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.