Maternidad La Luz? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-27-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I just posted a question about a different school, but this is my other favorite option so far. Has anyone here done their CPM program? What did you think? Where did you ultimately end up practicing after getting your CPM?

Did anyone consider this school but ultimately choose another? What did you choose?

: So many options I don't know what to think!

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." â E.B. White
#2 of 11 Old 05-27-2009, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancindoula View Post
OK, I just posted a question about a different school, but this is my other favorite option so far. Has anyone here done their CPM program? What did you think? Where did you ultimately end up practicing after getting your CPM?

Did anyone consider this school but ultimately choose another? What did you choose?

: So many options I don't know what to think!
I don't know much about MLL, but I just wanted to let you know (in case you don't know already) that you will not be able to practice in Florida if you obtain your education (and your CPM credential) at MLL. In order to be licensed to practice in Florida, you actually have to attend one of Florida's two midwifery schools (Florida School of Traditional Midwifery in Gainesville or International School of Midwifery in Miami [not to be confused with the now defunct Miami-Dade midwifery program]). But if you don't plan on staying in Florida after you finish school, then that doesn't matter.

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
#3 of 11 Old 05-27-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
But if you don't plan on staying in Florida after you finish school, then that doesn't matter.
Yep, that's the scenario. The Miami school is not an option for me due to distance and so far I just don't feel like FSTM is going to be a good fit for me so that pretty much locks me out of going the CPM route if we stay in Florida. But my dh and I are open to moving to other states and if we do, MLL seems (so far) like the best fit for me. So I'm hoping to find others who have been through their program and can give some feedback.

OR I may just stick with the CNM option and remain in FL for the forseeable future, knowing that at least being a CNM is very portable. Yeesh, this is tough!

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." â E.B. White
#4 of 11 Old 05-29-2009, 12:39 AM

I went to MLL and it is kick as- (can I say the whole thing here?)

It will kick your butt and it is an awesome education.

I, and this is not everyone, but I felt pretty ready to practice after I left the program because I felt like I had gotten a lot of clinical experience and a good academic education.

I did the intensive program and it was challenging physically and emotionally. Do you have children? They have other longer options as well.

I did start a homebirth practice with another midwife shortly after finishing my coursework and sitting for the CPM exam.

If you ever want to chat more about it pm me and I will send you my phone number or you can send me yours.

Best of luck with your decisions!
#5 of 11 Old 05-29-2009, 11:26 AM

I live in Texas and I am getting ready to sit the NARM in August. MLL has a horrible reputation here. It also has a horrible reputation in El Paso among the hospitals and other medical professionals. And Texas is a state where midwifery is accepted. I know some midwives that went there briefly and they said it was so horrible they came home after 24 hours. And when I started my apprenticeship I talked to a friend who was finishing up her residency in El Paso (she is a doctor but loves midwives and homebirth) and she said MLL is not the place you want to get your education. I am a former Respiratory Therapist and the only thing she said I would get out of going there was to teach them better resuscitation practices. I would not recommend going there.

Lisa
#6 of 11 Old 05-29-2009, 11:40 AM

Lisa,

Is there a different place you would recommend instead?

Heather
#7 of 11 Old 05-29-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4another View Post
Lisa,

Is there a different place you would recommend instead?

Heather
I don't have any recommendations in the United States, except to find a good midwife to apprentice with where the student lives. There is a place in the Phillipines that I have heard wonderful things about. And you are able to take your family and attend a full program there. They also have short summer internships available.

Lisa
#8 of 11 Old 05-29-2009, 03:32 PM

Wow Lisa for someone who has never even been there, or given birth there, you seem to have a lot of unkind things to say based on gossip.

MLL is a midwifey model of care run birth center, it is not a chop shop birth center, it is also a MEAC accredited institution, which is not an easy distinction to achieve. Some great midwives have passed though their doors and some of them even come from around the country to come back and teach. They are even leaders in MANA and MEAC.

It is true that the hospital staff could be very condescending toward our clients and ourselves, mostly for not doing birth in hospital, and if you have been around the block then I am surprised that you wouldn't take it with a grain of salt.

We had a client once who went out to dinner and her water broke at the restaurant. She came in per broken water protocol. She had cord prolapse from the gush at the restaurant that we discovered when we did heart tones (the first thing we do immediately when someone says their water broke). We transported correctly and immediately. The baby tragically died. A few days later I was at the hospital and got berated by a resident because we brought in a dead baby and how dare we do this to women, as if it was our fault, but he was also inferring to being irresponsible for doing birth out of hospital. Now that is an extreme example but there was very often a cold shoulder. And believe me we were kept under a tight professional thumb at MLL to always behave and defer no matter what anyone said to us at the hospital. MLL had a good relationship with the head ob at Thomison and consulted with him regularly, but for some reason, I could never figure out why he never really promoted our work and made sure we were respected among his students. Another thought is that maybe there were experiences with midwives from other practices that did not follow good science or professionalism that may have influenced an already biased and ignorant medical perspective on out of hospital birth that is sadly all to common in this country.

Anyway, I guess I should say to you that you really should be careful about what you say based on rumors and put your money where your mouth is and go and check it out for yourself. It is easy to arrange a visit.

BTW, all the staff and students are trained, certified and practice NNR regularly and all protocols (including ones developed with the head ob) are followed to the T. So much so that it is a bummer that you have to transport someone at 24 hours for broken waters because they, after being told to come in soon after your water breaks so many times prenatally, for whatever reason didn't come in until almost 24 hours and so you don't have time to help them get it going.

The director does not ever want to jeopardize the center for not following protocols and being professional...it would be a loss for the many women served by the center, might endanger the existence of midwives in TX and birthcenters in TX, and of a MEAC accredited institution - for the students.

I also can tell you that you work really really hard there and people do end up leaving because sometimes they can't handle it. The hours are long. Others leave because they realize, that, unlike Casa de Nacamiento, they will not get to catch and get numbers per say unless they stay for more than a month. Others realize that among all the hard work and not as many quick catches they also do not fit in because there Spanish is not up to par and it scares them having to do the work in Spanish. Some women might not want to take responsibility for the fact that it is just not the place for them and blame it on the institution itself. The director, Deb Kayley, is tough and expects a lot of hard work, adherence to protocols and professionalism...there is no way you can get away with being unsafe or disrespectful.

So, I am not really sure where you got your ideas from but I find them, after being there for 14 months, pretty unfounded and disrespectful. And I certainly have not run into anyone who has had the unkind words you have had about MLL.
#9 of 11 Old 05-29-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige, CPM View Post
Wow Lisa for someone who has never even been there, or given birth there, you seem to have a lot of unkind things to say based on gossip.

MLL is a midwifey model of care run birth center, it is not a chop shop birth center, it is also a MEAC accredited institution, which is not an easy distinction to achieve. Some great midwives have passed though their doors and some of them even come from around the country to come back and teach. They are even leaders in MANA and MEAC.

It is true that the hospital staff could be very condescending toward our clients and ourselves, mostly for not doing birth in hospital, and if you have been around the block then I am surprised that you wouldn't take it with a grain of salt.

We had a client once who went out to dinner and her water broke at the restaurant. She came in per broken water protocol. She had cord prolapse from the gush at the restaurant that we discovered when we did heart tones (the first thing we do immediately when someone says their water broke). We transported correctly and immediately. The baby tragically died. A few days later I was at the hospital and got berated by a resident because we brought in a dead baby and how dare we do this to women, as if it was our fault, but he was also inferring to being irresponsible for doing birth out of hospital. Now that is an extreme example but there was very often a cold shoulder. And believe me we were kept under a tight professional thumb at MLL to always behave and defer no matter what anyone said to us at the hospital. MLL had a good relationship with the head ob at Thomison and consulted with him regularly, but for some reason, I could never figure out why he never really promoted our work and made sure we were respected among his students. Another thought is that maybe there were experiences with midwives from other practices that did not follow good science or professionalism that may have influenced an already biased and ignorant medical perspective on out of hospital birth that is sadly all to common in this country.

Anyway, I guess I should say to you that you really should be careful about what you say based on rumors and put your money where your mouth is and go and check it out for yourself. It is easy to arrange a visit.

BTW, all the staff and students are trained, certified and practice NNR regularly and all protocols (including ones developed with the head ob) are followed to the T. So much so that it is a bummer that you have to transport someone at 24 hours for broken waters because they, after being told to come in soon after your water breaks so many times prenatally, for whatever reason didn't come in until almost 24 hours and so you don't have time to help them get it going.

The director does not ever want to jeopardize the center for not following protocols and being professional...it would be a loss for the many women served by the center, might endanger the existence of midwives in TX and birthcenters in TX, and of a MEAC accredited institution - for the students.

I also can tell you that you work really really hard there and people do end up leaving because sometimes they can't handle it. The hours are long. Others leave because they realize, that, unlike Casa de Nacamiento, they will not get to catch and get numbers per say unless they stay for more than a month. Others realize that among all the hard work and not as many quick catches they also do not fit in because there Spanish is not up to par and it scares them having to do the work in Spanish. Some women might not want to take responsibility for the fact that it is just not the place for them and blame it on the institution itself. The director, Deb Kayley, is tough and expects a lot of hard work, adherence to protocols and professionalism...there is no way you can get away with being unsafe or disrespectful.

So, I am not really sure where you got your ideas from but I find them, after being there for 14 months, pretty unfounded and disrespectful. And I certainly have not run into anyone who has had the unkind words you have had about MLL.
I have lived in Texas all my life and I am just passing on what the reputation is of that center. Every midwife I have come into contact with have said bad things about MLL. And I have also talked to students that have gone there. I looked into going there when I first started apprenticing. Since, I live in Texas I did not want to train somewhere that has a bad reputation in the midwife and medical communities.

Lisa
#10 of 11 Old 05-30-2009, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have only heard good things about MLL. When I was at Casa this past fall I took a tour of MLL and it is a lovely birth center and everyone I met was really nice.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#11 of 11 Old 06-03-2009, 12:38 AM

I'm a Texas midwife also. I recommend the ATM Midwifery Training Program. I admit I am a preceptor and help teach the course occasionally. I feel it is very up to date and there have been HUGE improvements over the past 1-2 years including adding a brand new anatomy and physiology workshop taught by a college instructor who is also a midwife. Text books are being constantly updated.

We are teaching more and more a program that is not about memorizing but about truly becoming a thinking midwife who knows her stuff and how to put it into practice. Last time all of our new graduates passed the NARM on their first attempt.

Someone made a statement about MEAC accreditation. It is true that the MEAC program has had some issues, namely that MEAC itself may be dismantling. Whether it does or not ATM's program is making MEAC accreditation another one of its goals and that is coming soon. We have students come from many different states to do the workshops then return to their community for preceptorship.

To find out more go to http://www.texasmidwives.com/education/course.asp

I am confident things will continue to go well with the ATM program, I recommend it. It is also one of the least expensive programs available.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page