Hello! CNM vs CPM and other Questions! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-01-2009, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I have taken a HUGE break...but I have now graduated undergrad an am looking to start my road to becoming a midwife! :

I am getting stuck on which road to pick however--I will more than likely be in NYC starting in September where there are no CPM programs offered so I have a few options:
1. do a CNM program with an accelerated bachelors route at either NYU or Columbia--this way involves really going back to school...which Im not completely opposed to but seem like kind of a drag since I just finished undergrad however Im wonderign if having CNM licensure has more versatility?

2. do a distance/apprenticeship program online--this route seems more exciting and hands-on but if Im being honest with myself Im probably not the best online student

since they both would probably take around the same amount of time--I wanted to ask your opinions---do you think there's a better route to take?

Thanks!!
~Ellie
#2 of 13 Old 06-02-2009, 02:57 PM

1. CNM definitely has more versatility. You can work in a hospital or for a birthing center, and CNM is legal in all 50 states, whereas CPM scope of practice varies from state to state, and some are quite restrictive.

2. Are you looking at a distance program for CNM? I wasn't aware of any unless you already had a BSN, though I could be wrong.
#3 of 13 Old 06-02-2009, 08:03 PM

:

There is an awesome accelerated CNM program near me, but no CPM programs nearby. What are some good long-distance CPM programs? I am going to be a doula for awhile first before I decide for sure whether or not to move onto being a midwife. I do not already have a nursing degree - I've just got 2 years of a Psychology degree under my belt, but with a few more classes, I *could* transfer to the accelerated CNM program. I might prefer CPM if it doesn't take quite as long, though...

-
#4 of 13 Old 06-02-2009, 08:18 PM

I guess it depends on how you want to practice. CNM may be legal in all states but they don't always have the same privileges. CNM's might have more versatility in where they can practice but they also come with a lot of strictures on what/who they can serve. There are pro's and con's to both so it's really up to your personal value system and what you want to get out of it.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#5 of 13 Old 06-02-2009, 09:07 PM

I can't tell you which is one is better. But I can tell you what I chose and why.

I am not a nurse but I will be starting a three-year CNM program this fall. It does not offer a BSN, but I will get an MSN at the end of the program. The first year focuses on basic nursing training and the second and third years are the specialty years where you focus on midwifery.

1) I wanted a higher degree.

2) I chose the CNM route b/c I didn't want to be faced with the prospect of having to practice illegally. I want to be able to practice in every/any state fully licensed and fully legal.

3) I want to have a hybrid homebirth-hospital practice. I love both homebirths and hospital births. I also want to be able to continue to provide care for my patients in the case of transfer.

4) I want to be able to provide primary care to women, including associated prescribing privileges

I'm probably forgetting some stuff but these were biggies for me.
#6 of 13 Old 06-02-2009, 11:13 PM

Do you know anything about job marketability after an accelerated program vs. the more traditional route of being a nurse first and then going back to school? I've been trying to figure this out.
#7 of 13 Old 06-03-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechella View Post
Do you know anything about job marketability after an accelerated program vs. the more traditional route of being a nurse first and then going back to school? I've been trying to figure this out.
This is something that lots of people in/starting accelerated programs wonder about. Basically, the answer that everyone gets (including myself) is: you won't have a problem finding a job b/c you weren't a nurse first.

However, it's really going to depend on who is recruiting you. That person may have a bias towards the new grad CNM who was a labor and delivery (or some other) nurse for several years prior to starting midwifery school.

Being a CNM really has nothing to do with being a nurse but I can see why it would be preferable to have had as much experience in labor and birth as possible.

That said, this doesn't concern me at all.
#8 of 13 Old 06-05-2009, 11:42 PM

Not every state allows CNMs to practice out of the hospital setting. I know in Tennessee a CNM has to choose hospital or give up her license and go the CPM route to do homebirths.
#9 of 13 Old 06-06-2009, 12:04 AM

I highly recommend the book "Paths to Becoming a Midwife" by Midwifery Today. It's a good read when you're trying to make the decision between CNM or CPM.

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#10 of 13 Old 06-07-2009, 01:13 AM

If you are staying in NYS, be aware that the state does not recognize the CPM on its own (I've heard of a couple of CPMs completing the requirements, but it's rare) and they have to practice under the same restrictions as CNMs. Given that, I would stick with a CNM in New York. The other option, if you are planning on staying in NYS permanently, is to attend the CM program at SUNY Downstate. This would restrict you a great deal, so only do it if you are sure (currently, only NY, NJ, and RI license CMs, who are non-nurse midwives credentialed by ACNM).

ETA: CNMs do home births in NYS, but all midwives must have a written practice agreement with a physician, which is the main obstacle.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#11 of 13 Old 06-08-2009, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the info!! I think I have decided to pursue the CNM track although I may still look into the SUNY downstate program

is there a link where I can find out info about who is licensed to practice where and what privileges each credential offers--I for sure want to do home births...but I likely wont stay in NY forever...where can I get info on that?

TIA!!!
~Ellie
#12 of 13 Old 06-08-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Girl View Post
I highly recommend the book "Paths to Becoming a Midwife" by Midwifery Today. It's a good read when you're trying to make the decision between CNM or CPM.
This book has lots of resources in it...it's available from Midwifery Today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliebean View Post
is there a link where I can find out info about who is licensed to practice where and what privileges each credential offers--I for sure want to do home births...but I likely wont stay in NY forever...where can I get info on that?
TIA!!!
~Ellie
CNM's are licensed to practice in all 50 states in medical facilities. Out of hospital practices are within the CNM scope of practice, but it depends upon the state licensing board which requirements are enforced.

CPM's are licensed to practice in some states, although they have alegal or illegal status in a few states still. See the NARM website for more info.

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#13 of 13 Old 06-16-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel J. View Post
Not every state allows CNMs to practice out of the hospital setting. I know in Tennessee a CNM has to choose hospital or give up her license and go the CPM route to do homebirths.
THis is simply not true. CNM can and do practice in TN. They may not have a physician who gives them prescription privileges, but they can keep their CNM license and do homebirths. There is a CNM in Memphis who does this very thing.
yalad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page