Question for all of you Midwives/Student Midwives... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-15-2009, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went for my "annual" pap today. it's in quotes bc i haven't been in almost 18 months. anyway, my midwife was at a birth so i was seen by a very nice student midwife, whom i've never been seen by before.
while doing the pap, she said she saw a "blister" on my cervix. she swabbed it and mentioned something about how it could be herpes, but maybe not. then when she did the internal, she said she could actually feel a little bump where she saw the "blister". she also mentioned that it could be just a scar from my previous 2 births, but the later mentioned that it had a spot of white in the center.
she said that some people could just have herpes in them for years and not know it.
ok, so i have only ever had any type of sex with my husband-no one else. we met when he was 17 and i was 19. when we met, the same was true for him, and i don't know if i'm ready to go there, but do any of you ladies have any other ideas of what this could be? she said i should know by the end of the week, but as you could imagine, my mind is racing right now. any insight would be appreciated.

x-posted in health and healing

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

#2 of 8 Old 06-15-2009, 06:47 PM

Could you have these? I had them after the birth of my first son.

Quote:
Nabothian Cysts
Okay, so these aren't quite vulvar. Natbothian cysts are basically tiny little bumps on your cervix. As the National Library of Medicine explains:

The cervical canal is lined by glandular cells that normally secrete mucus. These endocervical glands can become covered by squamous epithelium in a process called metaplasia.

These nests of glandular cells (nabothian glands) on the cervix may become filled with secretions. As secretions accumulate, a smooth, rounded lump may form just under the surface of the cervix and become large enough to be seen or felt upon examination.

Each cyst appears as a small, white, pimple-like elevation. They can occur singly or in groups, and they are not a threat to health. The cysts are more common in women of reproductive age, especially those who have already had children.

Nabothian cysts are not harmful and generally do not require treatment.
http://www.vaginapagina.com/index.ph...abothian_Cysts

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
#3 of 8 Old 06-15-2009, 08:31 PM

Cysts were my first thought as well, not herpes.

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.
#4 of 8 Old 06-15-2009, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sounded like a Nabothian cyst to me as well, I have had one for years it doesn't change much and isn't a concern. but it is good to be tested to know what it is-

I just wanted to note that oral herpes can be transmitted to genitals
#5 of 8 Old 06-15-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

that sounds alot like what she described. thanks for your input!!

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

#6 of 8 Old 06-16-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmidwife2b View Post
Cysts were my first thought as well, not herpes.
exactly my thoughts as well. i recall seeing pictures of nabothian cysts somewhere, and they did have a pale, almost white appearance in the center.
#7 of 8 Old 06-17-2009, 12:45 AM

I agree with the PP about Nabothian cysts.

However, I do have a point of contention with the way that the student midwife handled the finding on your cervix.
She shouldn't have speculated on her findings, but stated what she saw (diagnostically speaking) and then said "I'll take a swab and have it cultured/tested and we'll know in about a week".
I feel she handled the situation inappropriately.

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#8 of 8 Old 06-17-2009, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was thinking where was the senior midwife- I think that the student should have called her in to discuss it- or ask her opinion - I have had a doc who was in clinical rotation with my family practice guy - look at some bumps on my tendon and almost with relish think we should do surgery and I was like what !!! no way what does Ed think- and my doc came in the room did a few other physical diagnostic things and said no unless you really want to have it done I think that surgery is not necessary - it seems to just be scar tissue from some injury... from then on I would ok students but only if the physician stayed in the same room-

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page