Modest dressing birth professionals - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 07-05-2009, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if there are any birth professionals who dress modestly in everyday life who can tell me what you wear to births? I'm hoping to find something modest, comfy and professional looking.

I need something more practical than skirts but more loose than yoga pants or jeans.

Sometimes I wear pants that are kind of like culottes, and something like that might work, but I'd love to hear other ideas.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#2 of 34 Old 07-05-2009, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I actually like to wear skirts to births, but I get the sense that it isn't the pants themselves that you have a problem with, but rather loose-fitting around the midsection/rear. One of my midwife friends wears aprons at her births -- she prefers skirts to pants and likes having a covering to keep her clothing clean but also something with pockets, which not all skirts/dresses have. I might suggest that you wear your street clothes, but adopt some kind of apron that covers front and back as your workwear. Something like a sleeveless tunic with pockets.

The one thing I have a problem with at births with modest families is covering my arms. I do so many waterbirths that not being able to pull up my sleeves would be a hardship. Thankfully, even though some of the women I serve cover their arms regardless of weather, no one has minded my having short or 3/4 length sleeves.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#3 of 34 Old 07-05-2009, 05:12 PM

Lands End has some knit pants
long cotton skirts that are loose and nicer then sweats and (my modestly dressing friend wears this in her house because of the comfort). She got them at Lands End with nice long cotton tunic blouse.

I bought some pull on cotton knit pants like this at Talbot's and love them.
#4 of 34 Old 07-05-2009, 05:26 PM

I'm not a birth professional, but I hope you don't mind me answering. Perhaps a salwar kameez would work for you? The salwar pants are very loose and pleated (unlike tight churidar pants), and you can get longer kameez that are still very easy to wear because of the side slits.
#5 of 34 Old 07-05-2009, 06:47 PM

I actually like wearing scrubs. They're loose fitting in the legs and you can adjust the waist band to your needs. The shirts are also designed to be a bit loose fitting as well. Plus the pockets are great and I don't have to worry about getting my regular clothes bloody and I know I will always have clothes ready to go for a birth. I have a couple of pairs and wear one and leave an extra in one of my bags. You can get them in so many colors and styles nowadays (cute pictures, etc) they don't even seem very clinical and haven't bothered my clients that don't want a reminder of hospital staff.
#6 of 34 Old 07-05-2009, 06:47 PM

I wear skirts/dresses every day and have worn skirts to every birth I've attended. I have some longish (mid calf length) loose skirts with pockets. I can squat easily in them, and they are plenty loose enough (and long enough) that I can sit spread legged on a birth ball to demonstrate positions without showing off my undies. I think pockets make them practicle, but I'm considdering just wearing an apron over some of my skirts that don't have pockets to help with giving me more options.

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
#7 of 34 Old 07-05-2009, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol_Solved View Post
I'm not a birth professional, but I hope you don't mind me answering.
Not at all, any input is great.

I sometimes feel like I have too much fabric around my legs so maybe the knit pants with a long top, or the apron idea might be nice.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#8 of 34 Old 07-05-2009, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would second the what ever you regularly wear and add aprons with pockets- My grandmothers always had some aprons to keep their clothes clean - cobbler's aprons or full bib- some were sleeveless smock style all made out of calico
#9 of 34 Old 07-06-2009, 12:27 AM

:

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#10 of 34 Old 07-06-2009, 02:19 AM

I wear khakis or cargo pants and a comfortable t-shirt, with neither being tight fitting. My conservative clients/Amish don't seem to mind at all.

Candace~ midwife; partner to dh Steve for 18 years; mama to dd Emma 11/93 & ds Devan 5/97
#11 of 34 Old 07-06-2009, 02:30 AM

I'm not a modest dresser, exactly although I always dress modestly. If that makes sense?
I like to wear linen pants that are full of pockets. Or jeans. Or, actually, my favorite summer wear is men's shorts - they are nice and baggy and go down past my knees.
I usually wear an undershirt that's really long to tuck in to avoid gapping when bending. Then a short sleeve shirt (Target, $5) with a reasonable neckline. Then a long sleeve knit shirt. Sometimes I wear an apron. Anyway, I prefer the long sleeves. But, if the baby is going to be born underwater, I peel off the outer shirt and catch wearing the short sleeve shirt.

www.eshakti.com has great customizable sets that you could make quite modest.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#12 of 34 Old 07-06-2009, 03:29 AM

:

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#13 of 34 Old 07-06-2009, 05:38 AM

As a doula and a henna artist, I would warn you about wearing skirts with elastic waistbands. It's too easy for very embarrassing mishaps to occur after you have been squatting down. Ask me how I know...
#14 of 34 Old 07-06-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
As a doula and a henna artist, I would warn you about wearing skirts with elastic waistbands. It's too easy for very embarrassing mishaps to occur after you have been squatting down. Ask me how I know...
That is the reason I will never wear a skirt to a birth again. It wasn't modest at all

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#15 of 34 Old 07-06-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwings640 View Post
That is the reason I will never wear a skirt to a birth again. It wasn't modest at all
Oh yes, I always wear skirts with drawstring or button waistbands...never elastic...all that up and down and up and down...I step on my hems enough just chasing my kids, I couldn't imagine how many times I'd flash folks at a birth!

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
#16 of 34 Old 07-06-2009, 03:33 PM

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. I hadn't thought about that.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#17 of 34 Old 07-06-2009, 08:36 PM

I primarily attend births in the hospital setting so I layer up like crazy! I wear yoga pants, 2 shirts, a lightweight hoodie and always closed toe shoes. I would rather be able to take off then not have anything to put on

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#18 of 34 Old 07-07-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
ooooh, been there!
#19 of 34 Old 07-07-2009, 01:13 AM

Lol I'm glad I'm not the only one whose flashed a dr.
#20 of 34 Old 07-09-2009, 03:52 PM

I don't think I'd be comfortable in a skirt--I like to be pretty mobile and wouldn't want to worry about getting it tangled in wires (in the hospital) or in any number of things at a homebirth. I've worn jeans and looser fitting yoga pants, and just bought a pair of Thai Fisherman pants that I'm sure will get some good use as well. Target and Old Navy sell jersey material gaucho pants with elastic waists, and I'm thinking of picking up a few more pairs of those as well.

As far as on top I keep it simple with a t-shirt, but always bring a jacket/shawl /scarf if I need to cover up a bit more.
#21 of 34 Old 07-09-2009, 07:24 PM

I love the Target gaucho pants. Unfortunately, I have accidentally removed my pants (and my underwear, somehow!) by catching my shoe on them while getting out of a bench. I still wear them, but I make sure to not wear my crocs, which are practically like velcro on that material, LOL. I hope others can learn from my experience :P

-Amanda
Doula, student midwife, and homeschooling mom to 4
#22 of 34 Old 07-09-2009, 10:29 PM

I wear skirts to prenatals when I go visit my Amish or Mennonite ladies, but when I attend births I wear scrubs. They are not tight fitting and are made to repel stains if they happen. You can also get scrub dresses, if you'd prefer a skirt type of thing without the possibility of losing your skirt, lol.

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.
#23 of 34 Old 07-09-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_mommy View Post
I love the Target gaucho pants. Unfortunately, I have accidentally removed my pants (and my underwear, somehow!) by catching my shoe on them while getting out of a bench. I still wear them, but I make sure to not wear my crocs, which are practically like velcro on that material, LOL. I hope others can learn from my experience :P
Oh no!!! I am glad there are many of us who have lost our pants at one birth or another..... it makes me actually feel better about stepping on my skirt and having my green shamrock undies make an unplanned appearance in the birth room.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#24 of 34 Old 07-09-2009, 11:22 PM

skirts to prenatals and scrubs to births.

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Elora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Eilish Neve Isebeul, 6/12/14!
#25 of 34 Old 07-10-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwings640 View Post
Oh no!!! I am glad there are many of us who have lost our pants at one birth or another..... it makes me actually feel better about stepping on my skirt and having my green shamrock undies make an unplanned appearance in the birth room.
LOL, well consider yourself lucky that your pants AND your underwear weren't around your knees!

-Amanda
Doula, student midwife, and homeschooling mom to 4
#26 of 34 Old 07-10-2009, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for years I only wore long skirts and it wasn't a problem- they were zip up though or else full jumpers/dresses if I were worried i would wear stretch shorts under- any more I just wear what ever I have around- that is sitting clean- I personally really hate scrubs- they don't fit well and rarely are they all cotton-
#27 of 34 Old 07-10-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_mommy View Post
LOL, well consider yourself lucky that your pants AND your underwear weren't around your knees!
Actually, I am going to consider the mom and dad I was working with lucky It was embarrassing, but I was glad I had my cute undies with fairly full coverage on.

The problem was really that I am not usually a skirt wearing person, so I am not very graceful in them. I had made this skirt myself and it was very long and I was down on the floor and stood up.... apparently keeping most of my elastic-waisted skirt under my shoe. It has been slacks since then for me!

#28 of 34 Old 07-10-2009, 02:14 PM

I had no idea so many birth professionals doubled as flashers!
homewithtwinsmama likes this.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#29 of 34 Old 07-11-2009, 07:15 PM

I like LA Rose flare scrub pants from www.lydiasuniforms.com.

I wear them with old navy perfect fit Ts or with 100% cotton scrub tops that don't have that boxy look to them. If it weren't for the v-neck, the tops would be perfectly modest. I think I'm going to start wearing a cami or a high-neck tank under them just to be sure.

You really have to be careful with scrub pants, though, because I had some that were low-rise type with an elastic waist and they were WAY too low. I would sit on the end of the bed (or anywhere with someone who might be behind me) and think "can I move w/o showing my crack?" I finally just gave them away...there was no comfortable and modest way for them to work.

Scrubs may not be the "best choice" in other people's opinions, but I can definitely say I've never lost my pants (or shirt) at a birth! I also like that I can get an entire half of my scrub top wet at a water birth and it doesn't turn into a clingy wet t-shirt contest. It's just a scrub top that's a little wet.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#30 of 34 Old 07-11-2009, 08:04 PM

Looks like Lydia's has scrub tops with a square neckline and you can cinch the waist a bit too (on some styles). A square neckline is something I would definitely prefer over the typical v-neck, and being able to have it a teeny bit more form fitting so it doesn't hang around me would be nice as well. Thanks for the link!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page