Naming new doula business - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-14-2009, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there-
If you have already named your doula or midwifery business and have some extra ideas lying around...I'd be receptive to hear them!!

I am in the process of getting certified as a birth doula through DONA.

I'm struggling with the name thing- I hope to be a midwife someday so I don't want to have to reinvent myself then, and so want to just extend this website/ email to include other services I might include later.

My ideas have been along the lines of:

Harmony
Trillium
Summitt
Birthroot

etc...
followed by "Birth Services" or something like that.

I live in a smallish town so I don't want to change it down the line.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!!!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#2 of 21 Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 PM

I had a PAIN of a time trying to think of one. All the sudden, it just came to me. Here are some I thought of for you...but just a warning, when people suggested for me I never liked them. LOL!

Birth in Harmony doula services

ok just one. I amnot sure where the other words came from so I didnt know how to use them. KWIM?

Randine , Wife to Chris , mama to Gracie (3) and to Soren (07/08/2010)
#3 of 21 Old 07-15-2009, 10:49 AM

If this makes you feel better, the name of my business hardly ever comes up. It's on my cards and my website and that's about it. You really only need a business name if you are doing an LLC or the like... otherwise I know a lot of doulas will just do "Firstname Lastname Doula services" or "Firstname Lastname, Doula" When I was doing soley postpartum work I did a schedule C on my taxes and went by "Firstname Lastname, Postpartum Doula"

Of course having a name that sounds professional is really nice, but I don't think always necessary.
#4 of 21 Old 07-15-2009, 10:57 AM

ohhh I like birth root... sounds very earthy!

BFPChart2.gif

#5 of 21 Old 07-15-2009, 11:08 AM

I agree with the op, that the "business" name is not really used much, think about how you recall a doctor midwife, by their name not the "west side midwifery practice" you are actually going to be known by your name.

However having a business name is always nice. I am known mostly by my name, and get asked by my name even though i have a business name and i am a service with other doulas. They always ask is this Dewi, or is Dewi there?

I really do like "BirthRoot" and the logo ideas are amazing!

Here are the names of some birth services in my area.

Birth Day Presence

Power of Birth

Mother Nurture

In a family Way
#6 of 21 Old 07-16-2009, 12:28 PM

My suggestion is to always think "google-able". Birthroot or Birth in Harmony are nice but no one will ever look up Birth Root unless they already know you. If you wanted someone to find you on google, what would they type in? My business name is exactly that.

Good luck!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#7 of 21 Old 07-16-2009, 05:32 PM

I wrote down every thing I could think of & then hit a website developing site to see if the domains were taken. I finally found one I loved & it wasn't taken.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#8 of 21 Old 07-17-2009, 01:08 AM

I was in your boat, and needed something that would survive from Doula to Midwife. I chose Cradling Hands then added birth services. I think I will drop the Birth services and ad midwifery when the time comes.

I just had it come to me one day, and I dont particularly love it to tell you the truth! But it just seems to fit, and since it isn't well known in my community at this point I may change it, or may not.

I also did the searchs and didn't find another, although, as long as it wasn't in my area, or state maybe, I don't mind if it is out there, or used by others in the future.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#9 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

ugh! so the doula 5 hours away from here with a "Birthroot" doesn't want me to use it. And my second choice, "Sister Moon", well there's one of those in Portland too!!!! My third choice, "Blossom," won't work as it's a friend's actual first name and she's hoping to be a midwife someday herself and that would be confusing.

A business name is important to me because my name (Jenny Johnson) is just too common. I know of several others with my exact name in our small town. So I'd like to be associated with my business name!

I have made a huge long list and there are always other people with the same name. This is really getting to me. I need to figure this out before I can move forward.

So if anyone else would be willing to share their own business name- maybe if you're on the east coast!- or other suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I don't want to use anything with "mother" or "baby" in the title as the doula really serves the family. I also don't want to be too cutesy or whatever as sometimes there are unfavorable outcomes...so names like "Great Expectations" or something seems like too much?!

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#10 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 02:15 AM

what about PortlandDoula taking a page from BrooklynDoula?

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#11 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

om girl, what do you mean??

#12 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 04:24 AM

She means that BrooklynDoula, in her previous post, suggested that you use something that if someone typed into google's search engine, would lead directly to you. BrooklynDoula's business name is BrooklynDoula. If you type it into google, her business is the first thing to pop up. Not many people are going to be typing in birth root doula or something of that nature. Why don't you use whatever your town's name is + doula services. It's easy to find, easy to remember, and very professional. For instance, if you lived in Shanghai, your name would be Shanghai Doula Services. If you lived in West Des Moines, your name would be West Des Moines Doula Services, etc, etc.....
#13 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Right, thanks.

I wish it were that simple but I live in a small town amongst other small towns, and the valley's name connotates Native American wars...not so pleasant...

What about something very simple like Birthing Year Doula Service?

If I did just use my name (too boring- I love the opportunity to embellish myself!), and just had a tag line like "Support for the Childbearing Year" or something...and what kind of web address could I have? childbearingyear.com?

My husband is so tired of this conversation so thanks for letting me go on and on here...

#14 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I went with using my name. My last name is Urban, so I just went with Urban Birth. It is kind of tongue-in-cheek because we don't live in an urban area at all. Then for a website, I went with erikaurban.com. This way if someone googles my name, they should be able to find me very easily. I used to have Tranquil Beginnings Birth Services and I never really liked it all that much. It didn't really represent me or my service area and it was too long.

What about Johnson Birth Services? Or Jenny the Doula?

You are trying to promote yourself through your name, you want something that people will mentally put you with right away. That if they don't have your business card handy and are trying to find you, they will be able to with ease.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#15 of 21 Old 07-19-2009, 06:40 AM

You might think your name is too common or not flashy enough but I think Jenny Johnson is sweet. It totally has connotations of sweet, mothering, and a chocolate chip cookie smell. Plus, it has a nice ring to it. I think you should use it. A cool JJ logo is a plus too.
cocobean likes this.
#16 of 21 Old 07-19-2009, 10:00 AM

I like your idea:

Childbearing Year Birth Services

The Childbearing Year

TheBirthingYear.com is available

ChildBearingYear.net is available

ChildBearingYear.com is not available

If you prefer a dot com you can use your initials
JJchildbearingyear.com that is available.

These can grow with you as you become a midwife.
#17 of 21 Old 07-19-2009, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help...that's sweet about my name, Dewi For now I'm going for a card that says

Support for the Childbearing Year
Jenny Johnson, Doula
my phone
my email

I'll also be listed in a booklet of resources for expecting families that is going to be handed out at CBE classes and distributed at OB/Fam practice offices.

That's it for now...I am hoping to get into midwifery again soon, working as an assistant, so I decided I didn't need a whole business name, website, etc. I am only looking for one client a month, so I'm hoping word of mouth and passing round my cards will do it for now.

#18 of 21 Old 07-22-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
Thanks for the help...that's sweet about my name, Dewi For now I'm going for a card that says

Support for the Childbearing Year
Jenny Johnson, Doula
my phone
my email

I'll also be listed in a booklet of resources for expecting families that is going to be handed out at CBE classes and distributed at OB/Fam practice offices.

That's it for now...I am hoping to get into midwifery again soon, working as an assistant, so I decided I didn't need a whole business name, website, etc. I am only looking for one client a month, so I'm hoping word of mouth and passing round my cards will do it for now.

ASAP You should purchase the domain name Childbearing year or some configuration of it since it's available. It's cheap enough, less then $10. a year with GoDaddy to own it and you don't have to do anything with it until you want.
#19 of 21 Old 04-15-2012, 11:56 AM

I had a doula practice in SF (I'm a direct entry midwife, doula, NICU RN and author of Hey! Who's Having This Baby Anyway?) anyway it was in SF so I named it Doula and the City... taking off from Sex and the City... 

I thought it was fun... I also self published a book called "Tiptoe Through the Doulas 

having catching names if fun... 

#20 of 21 Old 02-18-2014, 04:16 AM

I would love to use the name Doula and the City for my business!

#21 of 21 Old 02-19-2014, 03:32 AM

If you do that with godaddy is that all you have to do to keep the name where no one can use it? Is that where you go to see if it is available as well? I'm in NC an.d trying to come with a name too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page