itchy legs in pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-09-2009, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What would you make of a pregnant mom who reports very itchy legs? No visible rash of any sort. She reports having had itchy legs prior to pregnancy, only occasionally; also that it now starts every day when she's on her way home each night from a white-collar type job (1hr + commute out of a large city, always at the same time). She scratches quite a bit during the evening, but it doesn't seem to keep her awake at bedtime. Has tried various moisturizers; tends to have dryish skin but not markedly so and the moisturizers are having no effect at all. As far as I can tell, nothing is different by way of clothing/fabrics, laundry detergent, diet, etc. She is 20 wks now, this started around 15wks or so.

Also, several yrs back she was diagnosed w/Lyme disease--attempted to treat w/tetracycline, found she was allergic and d/c'ed that Rx. Says that while she never had any serious s/s of lyme since then, she did regularly get, upon her skin being cold/wet, target-like marks on the skin around her major joints. Not sure if there is any connection here, but it she thought it was worth mentioning.

I suggested getting tested for Lyme (not done since initial dx), just because it would be worth knowing for sure, one way or another. Otherwise, I'm kinda stumped here!

your thoughts on this will be appreciated--
#2 of 8 Old 10-09-2009, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
does she wear nylons? she probably shaves- it could be irritation from how close the save is or what she is using to shave with- although it could be lymes I would hold that on the back burner- because topical irritation isn't really one of the main repeat symptoms-so it is sort of zebra hunting (here is a common symptom list for new chronic presentations from the CDC--Headache, stiff neck, sleep disturbance, and problems with memory and concentration are findings frequently associated with neurologic Lyme disease. Other clues to Lyme disease have been identified, although these have not been consistently present in each patient: numbness and tingling, muscle twitching, photosensitivity, hyperacusis{sound sensitivity}, tinnitus, lightheadedness, and depression.)
http://www.guideline.gov/summary/sum...81&string=lyme

anyway she may be using some topical moisturizer I would say try the calendula oil and look into what type of fatty acids she typically eats- she may need more
#3 of 8 Old 10-12-2009, 11:48 AM

I don't know if this will help, but I had this problem during the end of my pregnancy. It was bad! My herbologist freind put me on a liver cleanse, and that fixed it up for me. So, that might be something to look into.
#4 of 8 Old 10-12-2009, 01:01 PM

yes there is that the thing is that usually for multips it is a range of cholestasis- but the few cases I have seen there has always been a rash- and herbally you always treat skin through the liver - and actually all organs of elimination because the skin is the largest organ and if it is being stressed then supporting the urinary tract the lungs and the bowels and liver need to be done to take the stress off the skin-- but I have also seen the non-rash itchyness be dry skin that the increased heat and use of nutrients of pregnancy makes more irritated
#5 of 8 Old 10-12-2009, 01:13 PM

I think its probably autoimmune related. I had this with my last pregnancy, and then had a whole slew of autoimmune stuff after he was born. I had eczema on my areolas, and by the time he was a year ended up with getting antibiotics because my rash "looked like staph" on my legs. That sent my colon on overload and I ended up with my first ever bout of ulcerative colitis. Turns out some people with inflammatory bowel disease also have a distinct rash on their legs.

Before I even opened this I was going to ask about any immune issues. If she's had Lyme, that picture certainly fits.
#6 of 8 Old 10-12-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Ell View Post
I think its probably autoimmune related. I had this with my last pregnancy, and then had a whole slew of autoimmune stuff after he was born. I had eczema on my areolas, and by the time he was a year ended up with getting antibiotics because my rash "looked like staph" on my legs. That sent my colon on overload and I ended up with my first ever bout of ulcerative colitis. Turns out some people with inflammatory bowel disease also have a distinct rash on their legs.

Before I even opened this I was going to ask about any immune issues. If she's had Lyme, that picture certainly fits.
and your story fits the herbalist treatment for organs of elimination- your bowels were having trouble and your skin was showing that-- any how I would recommend that you look into gluten intolerance - or atleast try a gluten free diet for 45 days and see if it helps you out at all- there are several tests for gluten intolerance and none are 100% accurate it is linked to autoimmune - I know a doctor who's father is also a doctor got quite a bit of his intestines removed because of "ulcerative colitis" and when talking about his bouts he still has some and a positive family history of gluten intolerance no one ever suggested he try a gluten free diet and he didn't think it would make a difference but tried it to prove me wrong- and no more bouts- now I know it is not the answer for everyone with Ulcerative colitis but wanted to just mention it-
#7 of 8 Old 10-12-2009, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, this is all great! Thanks so much, everyone....now I have plenty to talk about with her, some places to start a conversation and exploration.
#8 of 8 Old 10-12-2009, 07:53 PM

I too had itching that presented first in pregnancy. No rash, no other symptoms to speak of. It got progressively worse after birth until I eliminated gluten-I started getting huge patches of eczema, other weird bumpy rashes that would flare at seemingly random times, migranes, etc .

Not sure if it's coincidental, but my daughter was diagnosed with Celiac at about age 3. Her diagnosis was the reason I went gluten free. I sometimes wonder if being pregnant with her was my tipping point into being truly intolerant.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page