Doula Certification Question - Mothering Forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By cali4niachef
  • 1 Post By kathan12904

#1 of 13 Old 11-02-2009, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First, I've never been on this particular board so I apologize if this gets asked a lot....
I'm considering becoming a birth and postpartum doula and don't really know where to start regarding certification.
I know the 'biggest' certification program is probably DONA International - what are some other reputable doula certification programs? How important do you think it is to have certification from a well-known program (like DONA)? (If I wanted to be a 'private-practice' doula)
Thanks!!

mrstice, married to mrtice 8/2007, mama to Oli (8/2008) and Finn (3/2010). breastfeeder, babywearer, bedsharer, cloth diaperer, homebirther, doula-to-be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 11-02-2009, 11:21 AM

In my practice I find it extremely important to have certified with dona, and would not pick a lesser known org. They are helpful, well reguarded and well known, all for a reason.

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#3 of 13 Old 11-27-2009, 08:07 AM

Lots of reputable and large programs are available, but some are international.
www.birtharts.org
alace.org
childbirthinternational.com

I run a training program and have attended over 800 births and let me tell you, no wanted to know who trained me.
I though have trained with many organizations, which in a lot of ways is good too. Having two trainings can really balance a practitioner at times. Just the exposure to other ideas and perspectives.
Good Luck

Heart of Herbs Herbal and Aromatherapy School and Birth Arts International, educational solutions that work for you! Check out my new book

#4 of 13 Old 11-27-2009, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have never had anyone question where I did my training through or have a problem with it because it wasn't DONA. I now do some doula training through Birth Arts International and I really like their program.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#5 of 13 Old 11-27-2009, 07:16 PM

I agree, I've never been asked who I did my training with. There are quite a few good certifiying organizations, ALACE, CAPPA, DONA, come to mind, and there are others. I think Birthing from Within offers one.

I think the best thing to do is see which one seems like a good fit for you, as they do vary. I've been happy with DONA, but quite a few have some gripes with it. Also, don't know if others do this, but I really like that DONA has a list on their website of certified doulas, which is a good source for clients.

Lucky mama to Isaac , born on Valentines Day 06', certified birth doula, midwife apprentice
#6 of 13 Old 11-27-2009, 10:34 PM

http://www.childbirthinternational.com/birth_doula/compare/usa.htm

You can compare programs on this link.
#7 of 13 Old 11-28-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamr3211 View Post
http://www.childbirthinternational.com/birth_doula/compare/usa.htm

You can compare programs on this link.
That link has a significant amount of incorrect information, and was created to make CBI look good. They've been notified numerous times about the inaccuracies, but have chosen not to correct them. Boo hiss!

To the OP, I chose DONA in part because of the name recognition -- among providers, the public, etc. I also wanted a large, well-known professional organization to network in, including annual conferences with renowned speakers. Now that I am finishing the requirements to be a doula trainer, I'm appreciating the name recognition on a new sense.

How important is it? That's such a big question, it depends on your goals and desires for your career. There are certainly doulas who have thriving practices with little-known certifications, or even no certification at all.
#8 of 13 Old 11-28-2009, 09:38 PM

I trained with CBI and think that the info that they give you in your manual is great & distance learning worked good with having a little one at home! CBI as a organization... not so much.
#9 of 13 Old 11-30-2009, 04:31 AM

I trained with BAI and love it!

go to alldoulas.com and check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demetria View Post
Lots of reputable and large programs are available, but some are international.
www.birtharts.org
alace.org
childbirthinternational.com

I run a training program and have attended over 800 births and let me tell you, no wanted to know who trained me.
I though have trained with many organizations, which in a lot of ways is good too. Having two trainings can really balance a practitioner at times. Just the exposure to other ideas and perspectives.
Good Luck
BirthPro2001 likes this.

Herbalist.Doula.Photographer. 
Euphoric Birth, Euphoric Herbals, Euphoric Photography

#10 of 13 Old 12-18-2009, 11:47 AM

I got my doula training through Childbirth International and couldn't be happier. Very in depth program, all online (other than attending births, of course) and at my pace which worked so well with a nursing baby and toddler at home, great customer service, very active message boards, and a personal trainer to ask questions to and bounce ideas off of. I've never had a client as who I was certified through, and midwives who have asked usually hadn't heard of CBI, but wanted to know more about it and it didn't make any difference in our professional relationship.

I say compare the companies, their philosophies, and their training styles, and see which ones matches up with your goals the best.

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
#11 of 13 Old 12-22-2009, 06:56 PM

I took DONAs training, but didn't ultimately complete their certifying process. I also found their philophy of doula work more restricted than what I thought was effective and wanted to practice. I haven't even really been asked about it by clients and when I've explained my criteria in terms of experience and education, I don't think its been an issue. I'd suggest you get a training experience under your belt, and then just start practicing. Your experience, independent research, and proffessional childbirth connections will make you the most effective doula. Once you've gotten a few births under your belt, which come a lot more easily if you start out really cheap, people will hear that you've attended such and such amounts of birth and not care about certification. I'd advise you to do various forms of continuing education ie, taking a workshop or attending a conference from time to time.
BirthPro2001 likes this.

Mom of three spunktastic kiddos, supported by super-partner while dabbling in midwifery and organic farming. Biting off more than I can chew since '03.
#12 of 13 Old 12-26-2009, 03:35 PM

Random Clients never ask what company you are certified with, but the real reason to get certified by DONA is that you will get the most client referrals from DONA.
They are the most well known to the general public.

BTW, Certification is not a requirement to be a doula! But If you really care about getting certified go with an organization that you need to
re-certify every few years.

It is a very good thing that a Certifying organization requires that people with certifications does not have it in name only, that you maintain your education and stay current with continuing education.
#13 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 08:40 AM

way to private msg you? interested in talking to you about doula experience and famil

Erika, if you happen to have some time I would love to talk to you or email you about your experience with a full family and attending so many births! I'm new to the site and trying to figure out if there is a way to private message you. Thank you!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page