Torn and confused - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-26-2009, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it possible to pay the bills as a childbirth educator? .

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#2 of 5 Old 12-28-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
Is it possible to pay the bills as a childbirth educator? .
I think that depends on how many bills you need to pay For me - my income is just extra income and there is no way what I make could sustain me. This year as an educator I made a little over $4000.

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#3 of 5 Old 12-28-2009, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Depends on where you live, the need for childbirth educators, and what you can charge per couple. In my area, there is a need, and a large population of people who are looking for classes. In the last three years I have typically run two series a month, with three or four couples per series. Saying it's just three couples per series, that's $1800 per month. Can you make a living on that where you are? In the last year, I have actually averaged more like $2400 a month. That, without our mortgage, let us scrape by. Of course, I live in the most depressed economy in the country, so living here is pretty cheap!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#4 of 5 Old 12-28-2009, 02:09 AM

Not for Seattle, especially if you have kids! Our cost of living is pretty high and there is a lot of competition. Most of the classes are nights and weekends, and being gone that many nights and weekends gets old fast and can be very disruptive to the family, which if you wanted to do it full time, would require at least a couple nights a week and a fair number of weekends.

Combine it with some other things, and definitely!

Good luck!
Sharon

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
#5 of 5 Old 01-11-2010, 09:33 PM

Possibly, if you are hired by an institution to do all their classes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page