Is anyone going to the Midwifery Today conference in April? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 01-06-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Midwifery Today Conference
“Trends and Traditions in Midwifery and Birth”
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA • April 14–18, 2010 • King of Prussia, Pennsylvania http://www.midwiferytoday.com/conferences/Philly2010/

I plan on going for the first three days and attending the beginning midwifery workshop.
#2 of 33 Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 PM

No, but I'm going to the Trust Birth Conference in March. Redondo Beach, CA is much closer to me than the east coast. Have fun as I know I will and will learn a lot!

Grace: Student Midwife Christ Follower, : to 3 busy babes and to #4
#3 of 33 Old 01-06-2010, 04:38 PM

I really like the look of that conference! But since we live in OR it makes more sense to wait for the MT conferences here. I am planning to go to the Trust birth conference in CA though :-)

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#4 of 33 Old 01-06-2010, 06:10 PM

Maybe I'll see you there Laura! I'm so jealous btw, that you are apprenticing with Pamela. Such an amazing lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae View Post
I really like the look of that conference! But since we live in OR it makes more sense to wait for the MT conferences here. I am planning to go to the Trust birth conference in CA though :-)

#5 of 33 Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grcelizabeth View Post
Maybe I'll see you there Laura! I'm so jealous btw, that you are apprenticing with Pamela. Such an amazing lady!
Thanks! She is such a great person/midwife/preceptor! I feel very blessed indeed.

Do I know you IRL? I don't recognize the user name

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#6 of 33 Old 01-06-2010, 10:01 PM

I just got the paperwork about the MT 2010 conference in the mail last week. Looks like it will be a good one! I won't make it to that, I am going to Trust Birth in March in CA and have a skills lab to attend in April, but I can be sure I will make my way to the 2011 MT here in Oregon next year. They are amazing.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#7 of 33 Old 01-06-2010, 10:42 PM

I am on the salem student midwife yahoo group and was going to attend the study groups, but we moved to Roseburg at that time. I just see your comments on Lennon and Pamela's FB a lot and on the yahoo group. I'm a student with AAMI also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae View Post
Thanks! She is such a great person/midwife/preceptor! I feel very blessed indeed.

Do I know you IRL? I don't recognize the user name
I will be attending the MSL in April as well. Whoever you are, I'll see you then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato3cherubs View Post
I just got the paperwork about the MT 2010 conference in the mail last week. Looks like it will be a good one! I won't make it to that, I am going to Trust Birth in March in CA and have a skills lab to attend in April, but I can be sure I will make my way to the 2011 MT here in Oregon next year. They are amazing.
Good luck to the original poster, I bet it will be a blast!

#8 of 33 Old 01-11-2010, 05:58 PM

I want to go to both TB and MT conferences, but I'm due April 30th. With the timing and lack of funds I don't think either is going to be possible for me. Wah!!

Student Midwife, Mom to 4 girls, 3 angel babies and 1 little boy that we are all in love with!
Ask me about my VBA2C and UBA2C after an Inverted T.
#9 of 33 Old 01-16-2010, 03:01 AM

I am really wanting to make it to the April one but truthfull I think it will be the September one for me. I wish I could make it to Trust Birth as well since I know Carla and would love to meet her in person but financially I am not ready for a trip like that.

Super Crunchy natural birthing, extended breastfeeding, non-Circing, non vaxxing cloth diapering, Student midwife and Mama to Hannah 14 Abby 9 and Liam 1
#10 of 33 Old 01-16-2010, 09:45 AM

I'm driving there from the Detroit area and will attend the full conference. Can't wait!! SO many great topics on breech and twins! They sold out of the Rebozos at the last conference so I'm going to jump on that the first day if they have them! I missed the first deadline but will make the Feb. 1st one. Sending in my paperwork and $$ on Monday.

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#11 of 33 Old 01-16-2010, 01:45 PM

I'm tentatively planning on going to the April conference in Philly - just for the first two days and only if I can come up with the funds in the next few weeks. *cross fingers*

Chloé: Doula, Student Midwife (AAMI), Apprentice Herbalist
Mama to my Spirit Baby
#12 of 33 Old 01-17-2010, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I came looking for a thread like this. I am not yet a midwifery student but am seriously considering it. I LOVE what I see offered for the MT conference and am very much considering going. It doesn't hurt that I have friends who moved to the Allentown area (about an hour from Philly), so I could visit them while I'm out there. Too bad it's too far to drive!

Does anyone know about future MT conference plans, though? I saw the schedule for 3 this year (I think), but then I'm wondering if there would be anything closer to me next year? I so very much want to go but then also fear spending so much if it will be in my backyard soon, kwim?

Has anyone been to their conferences in the past? It really looks fabulous but is it worth the money, truly? Is it stupid to go if I'm not currently enrolled as a student?

I *so* want to go!!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#13 of 33 Old 01-17-2010, 12:44 PM

This will be my 4th conference and I highly recommend them! If you are a student or aspiring midwife, Beginning Midwifery (days 1 and 2) are an incredible start to that journey. I found them to be so inspiring and left the conference feeling a new sense of being. The energy is awesome!

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#14 of 33 Old 01-17-2010, 07:36 PM

Thanks for posting this, it looks AMAZING!

May be too pricey for me this year, though.

To all those who attend, ENJOY!

Wife, childbirth educator and homeschooling mama to DS 6/05, DD 8/07, DS 6/10 and new baby July/Aug 2012.

#15 of 33 Old 01-19-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 636Jen View Post
This will be my 4th conference and I highly recommend them! If you are a student or aspiring midwife, Beginning Midwifery (days 1 and 2) are an incredible start to that journey. I found them to be so inspiring and left the conference feeling a new sense of being. The energy is awesome!
That's just what I was hoping to hear! Thanks!

I need to look more at the schedule and seriously consider how much I can spend on it. I really want to attend those first 2 days! But who can resist all of the speakers?!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#16 of 33 Old 02-26-2010, 03:24 AM

Bumping as we get closer! I'm still hoping to go but don't have firm plans yet. I need to decide which days to attend.

Anyone have thoughts on whether it's better to attend the Traditional Midwifery 2-day class, or the Beginning Midwifery 1-day? If they didn't overlap, I'd definitely want to do both! I definitely fit "beginning," but would love to cover the topics in the Traditional Midwifery classes, as well.

#17 of 33 Old 02-27-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmAbduRahman View Post
Thanks for posting this, it looks AMAZING!

May be too pricey for me this year, though.

To all those who attend, ENJOY!
I so want to go. Some of the other doulas around me are carpooling and splitting a room but even then with all my work being volunteer (= me being broke) and a nursing baby under one I don't think I could make it!

Courtney ~ mama to J 3/2009, wife to E 9/2007, doula and placenta lady

#18 of 33 Old 03-01-2010, 06:00 PM

I'll be in Philly in April. It will be my first MT conference and I'm really excited about the sessions!

Candace~ midwife; partner to dh Steve for 18 years; mama to dd Emma 11/93 & ds Devan 5/97
#19 of 33 Old 03-01-2010, 06:06 PM

I would if I could.

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#20 of 33 Old 03-02-2010, 10:55 PM

Yes all 5 days! If you are a subcriber and a student you can save about 30% off the price!!!!!!!!

Herbalist.Doula.Photographer. 
Euphoric Birth, Euphoric Herbals, Euphoric Photography

#21 of 33 Old 03-05-2010, 10:56 AM

YES!! My partner and I are going. We are looking for two roommates to share hotel costs. PM me if interested.

I'm particularly excited about Mexican Midwifery w/ Naoli Vinaver and am signed up for breech and massage classes.
#22 of 33 Old 03-09-2010, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad so many people from MDC can make it!!

I am definitely going and I can't wait! I'll be able to attend Wednesday to Friday afternoon. I'm planning on attending the Beginning Midwifery workshops.

I can't wait to meet everyone!
#23 of 33 Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
I came looking for a thread like this. I am not yet a midwifery student but am seriously considering it. I LOVE what I see offered for the MT conference and am very much considering going. It doesn't hurt that I have friends who moved to the Allentown area (about an hour from Philly), so I could visit them while I'm out there. Too bad it's too far to drive!

Has anyone been to their conferences in the past? It really looks fabulous but is it worth the money, truly? Is it stupid to go if I'm not currently enrolled as a student?

I *so* want to go!!
I'm in the same boat as you, HeatherB. I'm not a midwifery student yet, but I'm seriously considering it at some point. For right now, I'm trying to figure how I could be a doula and fit into my grad school classes and working two jobs.

This'll be my first conference! I can't wait!
#24 of 33 Old 03-09-2010, 08:26 PM

I wish I could go, there was just no way. :-( I'm so totally bummed.

Student Midwife, Mom to 4 girls, 3 angel babies and 1 little boy that we are all in love with!
Ask me about my VBA2C and UBA2C after an Inverted T.
#25 of 33 Old 03-10-2010, 12:58 PM

I'm not a mw student(yet I hope to attend school within the next 5 years)but I have been attending births as a doula since May last year. A girlfriend of mine suggested going so we plan on coming down(from Canada) for the full 5 days I'm so super excited to meet new people and come home full of information!!! Not to mention a full 6 days to myself!!!
I'm very excited to find this thread!
Take Care!

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#26 of 33 Old 03-10-2010, 01:45 PM

Man, I really wish I could go to either - just with the way things are going right now; college tuition is taking up all of my funds, so I don't have room/time for the more "elective" (but clearly more fun) adventures. I want to hear all about it though!

Ashely - Expecting stork-suprise.gif Home-Birthed Baby in February 2011. Full Spectrum Birth Professional.
#27 of 33 Old 03-18-2010, 02:53 PM

Anybody flying into Philly on the evening of the 13th??? My friend and I were looking for others that are needing a lift from the Airport to our hotel(Dolce Valley Forge)....and if there is, we could all share transport. Our flight arrives at 6:45pm. We are also catching a flight on Monday morning so will be heading back to the airport early that day- around 7am. Let me know!!

Julie

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#28 of 33 Old 03-18-2010, 11:37 PM

I want to so badly!!! If I didn't have a client due six days after I would try to get there.

Do they do the Beginning Midwifery days at each U.S. conference?

Heather
Wife + Homeschooling Mama to 4 + Midwife

#29 of 33 Old 03-18-2010, 11:55 PM

Does anyone else know how many conferences are held in the US per year, or how often if not annually? And where? Does it travel? I know I can't go next year so I'm hoping, still, I can make it this year. But still no definite plans. I really want to discuss it with my MW and see if she thinks I should go now or wait a few years, but if I wait, it will be at least 3 years, I expect, depending on how close the conference comes to me.

#30 of 33 Old 03-20-2010, 03:16 PM

I am so excited as well! While I still havent sent in the conf reg. I got tickets and am flying in TUES night around 9, if anyone wants to ride share--please PM. I am also flying out Mon around 7am, again would love to ride share from Dolce. I have considered taking public transportation, if I have to ALso, if anyone is in need of a roommate on Sunday night, please let me know. I have a room from Tues to Sun already.

I love the preconf workshops--breech, spanish, etc.They all look great and I am having a hard time deciding! I guess if I wait too long my mind will be made up for me

Looking forward to meeting new friends there

Blessings and safe travels everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page