Being a midwife with young children and/or homeschooling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2010, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After seeing it in one member's signature that she is a homeschooling mom AND midwife AND has one on the way I was going to message her privately and ask HOW does she do it?! But then decided to open it up and pose the question for everybody.

I think I would like to become a CPM but I wonder how long I will have to postpone it, since I have two kids, ages 4.5 and 2.5 and am expecting again in June (and we have no plans to limit the number of kids we'll have). I am planning to homeschool them so I assumed midwifery would have to wait.

But then I saw the inspiring sig and saw a glimmer of hope that it may be possible to do both.

?

To those of you midwives or student midwives who have young children (I'm especially interested to hear from those who are homeschooling) how do you balance both your calling and your family responsibilities?

Wife, childbirth educator and homeschooling mama to DS 6/05, DD 8/07, DS 6/10 and new baby July/Aug 2012.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 12:47 PM

Single momma midwife here. My two are just 4 1/2 and 1 1/2 so we dont 'school' .. but its not easy just doing the midwifery and family part... lots of flexibility on my part and more importantly on their part. Sometimes its impossible ~ most of the time its manageable... cant even anticipate school ages yet.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:05 PM

I'm waiting to pursue my CPM, and doing more "predictable" things while the kids are small. I would think your DH (or mother, etc) would have to take a primary role, or you would have to limit the number of births you attend.
We are looking into hiring a nanny/au pair in a few years while I try to manage an apprenticeship/ clinicals. I would love to hear how other moms are handling this!!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
Old 01-17-2010, 01:11 PM

i was thinking about doing this too. its become a dream of mine to become a midwife, but i'm feeling that it will be impossible! i have a 7mo, but we'd like to have as many kids as we can(meaning, there will always be young ones), and we will homeschool, so, it seems impossible! but, maybe if i had someone willing to watch the kids at a moments notice, then it would work, also if i take on a minimal amount of clients. i'd like to be a cpm or dem, but i dont even know where to start!

wanted to add, i don't remember whose siggy that was, but it really inspired me too! then i came back to reality, realized i cant even keep my house clean, and realized that i will probably spend the rest of my life doing nothing but nursing, cleaning, and making dinner

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

Old 01-17-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
I'm waiting to pursue my CPM, and doing more "predictable" things while the kids are small. I would think your DH (or mother, etc) would have to take a primary role, or you would have to limit the number of births you attend.
We are looking into hiring a nanny/au pair in a few years while I try to manage an apprenticeship/ clinicals. I would love to hear how other moms are handling this!!
what do you mean by "predictable"? as in, not having to be on call?

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

Old 01-17-2010, 01:57 PM

I couldn't do it without familial support. My mom kid sits during my 1-2 days/wk of prenatals and postpartum, and also if I get called to a birth during daytime hours. Dh takes the rest, cooks dinner about half of the time and does 90% of the laundry.

I home school, but we are by no means strict 5 days a week school at homers. We might work on our lessons 8 days out of 10 and then go a week or two without touching our books at all. We took 5 weeks off over the holidays just because I was spread too thin. I'm still working on AAMI also so I have my own lessons.

Sometimes midwifery is a minimal interruption to our family routine... one week I might have appts on Monday only with the rest of the week off. Another week I might end up at appts/births 4 out of 5 days.

One time we had 6 babies in 12 days and my preceptor gave birth herself during that time. We average 2-3 clients a month, they just went early and late all together. Add to all that me getting the flu in the middle and being in bed for 2 days, and having a mom with severe PPD that required a lot of my attention in person and by phone... well, you can imagine that I was pretty wiped and wasn't much use at home for about 3 weeks.

I couldn't do all that if my husband wasn't fully supportive, and if I didn't have great childcare lined up.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:00 PM

I'm working as primary under supervision and homeschool the kids. I've attended 30+ births in the last year and have done prenatals and posts for almost all of those. (I was asked to births by other midwives whom were not my preceptor.) I've been homeschooling for over 2 years and feel that homeschooling and midwifery go hand in hand. Both can can be planned things....field trip to the science center VS prenatal days....and more sporatic and spontanious as in catching a baby at 2am VS the day after where you can stay in your PJs, catching naps inbetween watching the Discovery Channel on the Earth series. I always carry books and magazines with me so the kids can read in the car. We don't follow a curriculum so I guess we "unschool" the kids. If I need to go to a birth, I give the babysitter instructions on what I want her to do with the kids. I might print out math work sheets or I might have them write a story about ________(insert fun subject here). There are so many things I love about homeschooling and midwifery. Sometimes you can schedule either but they always leave time for your family in between, if that makes sense.

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
Old 01-17-2010, 05:01 PM

I am not a midwife, but I am a birth assistant to a very busy practice. I homeschool my kids. I work in the office 1 1/2 days a week and do 4-7 births a month. Some weeks are easy with no births and just office days. Some weeks are nuts. The older kids do a lot of school subjects on computer these days. The youngers I fit around my working. So far we seem to be managing. My mother and husband cover nights and weekends along with a neighbor/friend in a pinch. I also have a regular sitter who covers the office days and is willing to be on call. Without her, I could not do it though!
Old 01-17-2010, 05:14 PM

My kids are 3 and 1 so they are not in school yet but I am in college doing my prerequisites before being accepted into the nursing program and it is HARD! My DH is deployed, I am almost 6000 miles away from family so I am virtually a single mother. My schedule is planned out so that I am with the kids at least 5-7 hours a day in between classes. I love that I am in school and I can still spend time with my kids. Homework is kicking my behind but it's all worth it. If you really want to do it, you can.

Chelci  Anthony, parents to:  E- 11/2006, A- 07/2008, and K- 09/2014.
A Few Facts About Our Family  

Old 01-17-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatullah0 View Post
what do you mean by "predictable"? as in, not having to be on call?
That's pretty much what I mean. I'm working on the education end right now. I plan on certifying as a Childbirth Instructor, so I can start working with families in a way I can schedule.
My DH is military too! He's not deployed at the moment, but he's gone 12-16 hrs a day anyway, and we expect that he'll deploy again in the next year or so. Family help wouldn't be an option even if we lived close to them. I'm homeschooling this year. But we might send the kids to school next year, depending on where we move to this summer. DH can retire in a few years, so it's time for me to stop waiting and DO something about my dream. But I have to find away to bring 4 kids and a husband along with me!
I hope that as the kids get a little older(I'm expecting a babe next mnth!) and more self sufficient, and DH isn't gone so much we can make it work.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
Old 01-17-2010, 06:21 PM

We are doing this sort of. I homeschool my kids but they are young only 2 would really be in "school" ages 7,almost5,3,3 months. I am in the apprentice part of my training. So I did 20 plus births last year while being pregnant. I do a lot of book studying too. It is hard but fun. I tend to waver more on the homeschool part than the midwifery part. My dh is very supportive and my mom watches the kids on prenatal day so that helps. I have been a doula and CBE for 7 years.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

Old 01-17-2010, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you to those who have shared so far, this is encouraging

Wife, childbirth educator and homeschooling mama to DS 6/05, DD 8/07, DS 6/10 and new baby July/Aug 2012.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:56 AM

I'm taking a break right now because pregnancy is really rough for me until after about 20 weeks and I don't think it's fair to take clients near to when I'm due. I plan to get back into it pretty quick after this baby is born, though, within a couple of months (depending on the personality of this baby).

I did homeschool through all kinds of crazy hours (4+ clinic days, 50+ hour weeks) etc, though. We do something most like unschooling, which in our case was the only way to sanely do it. DH takes a true coparenting level of responsibility for all things kid and house, which is really important. On any given week, the kids would have two "dad" days, one "Nana" day, and one "friend" day while I was in clinic. "School" flowed smoothly because nobody had to worry about who was doing what lesson; the kids would go along with their interests and whoever they were with would be able to provide their perspective and resources.

Being on call with kids is stressful, there's just no way around it. It helped to assign people to days whenever DH would be at work, just to be sure they had somewhere to go if I got called. Births most often happen in the middle of the night when DH is home anyway, but it always seems like not having a plan is a surefire way to get an urgent phone call... Sometimes plans would fall through and DH would have to call in "sick" to work (probably once or twice a year), because an assigned babysitter forgot or was sick or couldn't be reached. So again, having an understanding DH is really important.

I have to say again that the #1 most important thing in making this work is that DH takes a level of responsibility around the house where I can be absent and things can still run smoothly. I'm not the sole administrator of the home, we both are capable of doing it all and have figured out how to let tasks and responsibilities flow between us in a way that is usually pretty seamless. I did a month of overseas internship and handing things over to him 100% really helped shift his mindset so that he stopped deferring to me for everything (I don't really want to think about what you guys are going to eat for dinner, you figure it out...things like that).

ETA - I've said it before on this board but I should say it again - I'm a newbie midwife and am much more qualified to talk about getting through midwifery school and apprenticeship than about finding balance or longevity as a midwife.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:09 AM

I'm doing academic work now and hope to begin apprenticing next year. My husband is also military and we have no family nearby. I'm worried about the kids feeling shuffled around...so I fantasize about hiring a nanny. No idea how we would afford it, though.

Honestly, my sense is that homeschooling fits more easily with midwifery than typical schooling. Seems like it would be challenging to have to keep up with so many different schedules!

I've just decided to trust that, if this is really my calling, it will work out somehow...
Old 01-18-2010, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
One year that I apprenticed I also homeschooled. It didn't really work out so well, but that was more due to our personalities and her learning style than my apprenticeship. Now that I am practicing, I have no idea how I would be able to homeschool due to my children and their personalities. I would never be able to do prenatals with them home because they feel they must be center of the universe at all times and they love new people Needless to say, I schedule all appointments that I can to be during the hours they are in school. I still have my 3 year old here, but that just isn't as big of a deal. I suppose a good deal of it depends on your children and your support system.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwifeErika View Post
I would never be able to do prenatals with them home because they feel they must be center of the universe at all times and they love new people Needless to say, I schedule all appointments that I can to be during the hours they are in school. I still have my 3 year old here, but that just isn't as big of a deal. I suppose a good deal of it depends on your children and your support system.
My kids are like that too! I have taken my 3.5yo with me to a prenatal or two in a pinch and it was just fine, but my bigger kids talk too much.

I hosted prenatals in my house several times for another midwife and it was crazy with my kids around (unless the client had kids with her)... so I decided it is just way easier to line up a kid sitter and go to my clients!
Old 01-18-2010, 06:15 PM

I'm personally waiting - we're expecting our fifth (and last) child in a few months, and as much as I want to start apprenticing, and as long as I've already waited, I evaluated how it would fit into our lives now and had to come to the conclusion that it's just not the right time for us. I decided to focus on this very intense stage of parenting now, and bring that into my life when the kiddos are a bit older - five years from now, is the plan. I felt discouraged and thwarted at first, (and kind of lame, TBH) as I realized that midwifery didn't fit into my life right now, but I've come to a lot of peace with it. My life right now is kind of full to brimming, so it really is best!

Others have certainly done it though! I think it depends on a whole lot of factors, like your availability of reliable, sporadic, on-call childcare -- someone (or more ideally, a few someones) who can watch your children if a mom calls at 3AM in labor. Other than that, I would say that if your energy level and dedication are good, then you'll be able to parent and homeschool while practicing midwifery.

Perhaps beginning as a birth doula will enable you to get a feel for how this fits in your life?

Good luck, Mama!

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
Old 01-18-2010, 08:52 PM

I am taking a break from midwifery right now...I started out with no kids and now three kids later it's just too much for my family...

There are seasons in life for everything, and for me, this is the season of motherhood...

I still try to keep in touch...so I run a parenting group, do labour support occasionally, teach childbirth education classes...this way I keep my foot in the door and have something to do for myself...

My husband and me always joke that one day I'll be one of those wise granny midwives
Old 01-19-2010, 02:09 AM

I am student midwife and homeschooling mama to 3, I am currently doing my schoolwork now so it will be a few years before I have to be on call. I am also lucky that my dh is very supportive, so are my nearby family as well as my 2 older children who will eagerly watch Liam when the time comes.

Super Crunchy natural birthing, extended breastfeeding, non-Circing, non vaxxing cloth diapering, Student midwife and Mama to Hannah 14 Abby 9 and Liam 1
Old 01-19-2010, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I apprenticed off and on for 4 yrs with varying success while my children were in school. Now that I work alone, I have 2 home schooled and 2 in public school (though we are pulling them out this year. No specific reasons like the first two, we just love homeschooling and like to set our own routine) and 2 that aren't school age. 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, and almost 2 are the ages of my kids. BUT it works so well for us because my hubby has worked from home the last two years. Frankly, it will work even better once all my kids are home schooled. I am really looking forward to the school year ending.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm also only at the looking point so far, and appreciate all of the stories! I realize that because my DH works from home, we have a lot of flexibility that would actually make it much easier to do. But, on the other hand, he already handles a lot of things around the house, and I think if he's on-call for me being on-call, we'll have to rebalance some of the daily tasks so he's not getting overwhelmed.

I do think homeschooling is a great cohort to midwifery, with the lack of strict schedules. We do a lot of outside classes now, and I worry about missing tons of those if I were at a birth, but, then again, if DH could take over with the kids, he could probably take them to those things, too. I do think we'd also need to look for other care, too, though.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:53 PM

thanks for starting this thread!

i am in the school portion of my mw studies and although i attend births here and there, i am far from being away even every week. i have turned down 2 apprenticeships, because i had to be honest with myself and realize, like tema put it so beautifully, this is the season of motherhood!

i have a 4 yo, 2 yo and am due with #3 in july. i expect we'll have more kids, and we're working on building a strawbale home/homesteading.

one awesome advantage i have is that dh is home 24/7, and although he is disabled, as the kids get bigger and i am apprenticing/practicing midwifery full-time, i don't ever need to worry about childcare. and we lean towards extremely unstructured hs/unschool, so between dh and i, we both feel that everything fits together well. he fully supports my goals, but i also have to work on his timeframe, so to speak, and not take on too much, or do too many things at the same time. at this time though, the kids are too young for me to even leave dd with him for more than a couple hours. my kids are very mama-centered, dad is fun, but when it comes down to it, only i can give them most of what they need at this point in their young lives.

yes, it is discouraging, and somewhat depressing, i feel like i'm moving in slow-motion and turning down once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, and like Collinsky, i feel a little bit lame and losery about it all, but you know what? i'm happy that i'm doing what i can midwifery-wise for now, making a good decision for my family's well-being and happiness and not losing sight of my goal. my main goal is to be able to pass the narm in 2012, the year i turn 30. also, i'm trying to grow my doula business and trying to put on free community natural-childbirth education classes.

i think what has worked for me is to really figure out what i and my family can handle, make goals and then start working towards them and keep hope, no matter how slowly it's going.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:52 PM

First, I noticed that there are quite a few student midwives here that are also spouses to service members (as am I!) - and I am wondering if any of you know of a midwifery-service minded yahoogroup? And if not - would anyone be interested in staying connected by creating one? I would be willing to do the startup work, if you are interested, just say the word. I have felt so alone in my midwifery work since my husband joined the Army. Midwifery has been a true calling for me since before he joined, but ever since - it has been next to impossible to finish - because of already said circumstances, which I know you all understand! It's *hard* in the military - harder than when you're out and near a static "family" - whether that means close friends or family or both. But you know this!!

Second, I wanted to say that I also homeschool, and I have 4 kids - and one on the way. When I was most active doing my clinical work, my husband was in officer school, and I was at "home", in between duty stations - since he was in training for 10 months. My family was able to care for my 4 children during this time, and it was really awesome. I was never worried when I was gone (2-4 births/month and 1 prenatal day/week) - I was always "fully there" at prenatals and births BECAUSE I knew my children were well-cared for - something, for me, that I can never go without. I have to know my children are cared for, or my mind won't be in it. I worked with my own midwife (that cared for me during my births), so I knew her style somewhat from my own births, as well as some friends that I had referred to her that I had been at. She also homeschooled her 8 children (and is still homeschooling). She has a busy and thriving practice. She completed her AAMI work in one year. She was pretty gung-ho about it all. But she also had friends and family around during her training...something we military-spouses usually do not.

I know my biggest problem right now is not having a midwife to work with (that isn't at least an hour away!!!). But in the past, it has also been finding reliable, trustworthy chilcare - as well as reliable and trustworthy BACKUP childcare....and to have it be ON-CALL all at the same time!!! Wow. That is a lot to ask! Not to mention deployments making everything much harder. As our children age, it'll be come easier, but if we always have a little one, it is hard. Once you establish your own practice it becomes possible to bring a sitter and your tiny ones - but that is a hard one to ask of your preceptor....depending on your relationship.

My husband is currently deployed right now. My current plan is to finish my own AAMI work, take come A&P classes, and then within the next 2 years or so go to Maternidad La Luz for their 1-year program (with my Army spouse!!! LOL). Talk about shot in the dark, eh???? If you're military you know what I am saying - because how could that even work if he was deployed while we were there????? Ugh. Talk about needing a reliable nanny or family member if that happened. Right now, my husband is considering graduate degree program that you can apply to and if accepted to to any school of your choice for a post-graduate degree...(hence the plan would be for him to go to El Paso, where he will be doing a masters program full-time, and still being paid by the Army, while I am at MLL). HA! Well, the way we see it, is that if all of that happens - then it is truly meant to be. And if not, then eventually, eventually, my midwifery education will come, slowly, but surely....it will, because I want it to. But in the mean time, there is at least a plan, and a contingency plan! What else can we do???

Amanda, wife to my best friend Josh, Mommy to Jenna, Lukas, Adam, Livea and Ethan!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:52 AM

This post seems to be about two issues.

Homeschooling and midwifery work really well together, ime. When I get called to a birth, all my kids are usually with me. Also, relaxed homeschooling or unschooling works pretty nicely with my schedule.

Otoh, being an apprentice midwife with young children is DIFFICULT, ime. I could see how it would work if you have supportive family and/or lots of money! Unfortunately that's not us. My dh works a lot, we do not have family here, and I pay a fortune for good babysitting. Often I have to make tons of arrangements (like the time recently I was at a labor for over 24h and had to arrange three different sitters over the 24h period! Ugh!) and make lots of calls, and cross my fingers that everything will work out.

Often I come home totally exhausted from a long birth, and my house is a mess and my kids are wild/clingy because they missed me. Sigh.

It's definitely a challenge to do a self-paced program with young children. I find it very difficult to find a balance.

I'm painting a dark picture, but I really agree with those who said there's a season for everything. Life is long. You don't want to pick between being a good mother and a good student/apprentice.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 01-21-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post

Often I come home totally exhausted from a long birth, and my house is a mess and my kids are wild/clingy because they missed me. Sigh.

It's definitely a challenge to do a self-paced program with young children. I find it very difficult to find a balance.
A little off topic here - but I can't believe you come home to a messy house!!! Besides my kids being well cared for - one of my requirements for ALL of my sitters is that they leave the house looking like it was when they walked into it - or better. I say it up front too. I do NOT ever want to come home to a house that is destroyed by children and not tended to by the person in charge!! I also tell the sitters that if the kids make messes, I don't necessarily expect THEM to clean it up, but they NEED to facilitate the cleanup. 30 minutes before I am expected home I tell them they need to start cleaning up the house WITH the kids. That includes dishes they've used, food they've prepared, toys, blankets, school - everything. Clean up! Tell your sitters that you expect that of them - especially if you are paying good money!!

Also, I wanted to say that the "self-paced" program sort of falls into the homeschooling realm, and I think is EASIER with small children around. I can put the kids in bed at 7:30 or 8:00pm and have 4 or 5 hours to study (I'm a night person!). I don't have to get up super early to scoot kids off to school, so I have always been able to sleep in until 7 or even 8 sometimes. Even when my kids get up early it isn't so bad because they have school, and we have a routine, etc. We also have a schedule we try to follow most days, and the schedule is posted and we ask our sitters to follow it when we use them during the day/week.

Amanda, wife to my best friend Josh, Mommy to Jenna, Lukas, Adam, Livea and Ethan!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:06 PM

I think if you can make it through the apprenticeship, being a midwife with younger children is easier than being an apprentice. As an apprentice, you are at the mercy of someone else's practice, schedule, limits (or lack thereof), etc. As a midwife, you are the one who sets the prenatal schedule, determines how many clients you'll take per month (if any in that month), and how your practice will work. For example, there are times when my kids are at the birth center with me for prenatals. I HATE it and they do too, so we try to avoid it if at all possible, but sometimes it's unavoidable. Also, when I have a non-mobile baby, I take the baby with me for prenatal days. It's just easier that way, for me, the baby and the sitter. That would NEVER EVER have flown in my apprenticeship. Things were much busier, for one, and for two, it just wasn't a kid-friendly practice (for clients it was, but not for us).

I homeschooled until this year and this year I have one school aged child at home and one in private school. Next year they'll both be in private school. Having a child in school has changed some things for me but mostly it's just different...not easier or harder. When I homeschooled, however, I still didn't take my kids with me for most prenatal days. I explained to my clients who wondered about that that there are some things it's just not fair to ask my kids to do...ride around with me for hours on end doing home visits falls into that category. I had more fun w/o them and they had more fun at home with a sitter.

So long story short: yes, it's possible. It's hard and you need a 100% supportive spouse and a good plan for childcare. My apprenticeship child care was provided by a friend for free. In exchange after I was a midwife, I provided a free birth for her (I still think I got the better end of that deal, though). Now she and I trade child care...I use my trade time for mostly business related stuff and she uses her trade time for date nights and fun stuff with her husband...so now she's getting the better deal . Even with a great network of support, it's still a hard balance to find and some people find that it's not worth the effort it takes to find that balance. For me, it is. Being a midwife, having something that I'm passionate about, showing my children that I am a person with interests and a life outside of our family, all of that makes me a better and more patient mother, so it's worth it to me to fight to find that balance.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
Old 01-24-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmie981 View Post
For me, it is. Being a midwife, having something that I'm passionate about, showing my children that I am a person with interests and a life outside of our family, all of that makes me a better and more patient mother, so it's worth it to me to fight to find that balance.
My dh and I were just talking about this. I expressed to him that maybe our lives would be easier if I could just find peace and contentment in just homeschooling and householding. He said he thought that was crazy, for the same reasons you stated. I still don't know how it's going to work but i do agree that it is worth it to try and figure it out. I just wish I would have been called to this before we had children, then I could've gotten the apprenticeship out of the way!

My dh is not likely to be deployed anymore, but military life is still different and very demanding. Most civilian jobs with this many hours would involve a lot more money...and then we could afford the childcare! I wish I had some family members to depend on. But, I like your ideas about swapping with friends and I will work on being more open-minded about finding creative solutions!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:01 AM

I'm glad to have found this thread and to read the responses.

I am a homeschooling mother of 4 who is waiting, waiting, waiting until it is my time to pursue my dream of becoming a midwife.

I began an apprenticeship with a CPM when my second child was 6 months. I attended prenatals for 6 months and then began attending births once my dd turned 1. My DH was supportive and my mom lived nearby and could usually watch the kids at short notice. I loved it, but had to give it up after a few months because we ended up moving to Germany, and having two more children. Now we are living in the UK. There is no direct entry midwifery here - I would have to do a midwifery course full-time for 3 years, or part-time for 5 or 6 years. DH works long hours and we have no family around, and certainly no money to hire sitters or a nanny. I would also love to have another child.

I am 38 and sometimes I feel like my chance to become is slipping away, and that I should just put my kids in school and daycare and get on with my studies. But then I tell myself that if it is meant to be it will happen and there is no age limit for being a midwife. I did go to a meeting of the Association of Radical Midwives a few months ago, and was encouraged by the fact that a lot fo the women who were just finishing their studies were around my age.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:13 AM

very very sadly, i see no other way but to resign myself to putting my midwifery goals on hold for now. my apprenticeship worked wonderfully when i had all big kids. but i have a new little one now and another surprise on the way. and a dh w/ a very inflexible schedule, unlike before when he owned his own business pre the economy tanking. i'd do an online school in the meantime if i could, but none are affordable for me atm. *sniff* so instead, i'm settling w/ pursuing an RN degree for now because 1.) it's paid for by federal financial aid. 2.) i can do all my pre-req courses online at night. and 3.) i've GOT to do something (in part because of similar reasons expressed upthread RE needing balance; something outside of being a mom and homemaker). it's only a 2 year program and some of the classes will transfer in the future to a midwifery school.

anywhoo. brainstorming a solution to this dilemma has been the story of my life since i attended my last birth as an apprentice and gave birth myself in '08. i obviously still don't have one, but i have faith i'll get there at some point.

it'll all be worth it when all is said and done--both midwifery and motherhood are beautiful work, deserving of their own chapter, y/k? (so she tells herself)

and to all those who say they're getting too old--what about those lovely seasoned granny midwives?! those are the best variety.

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Elora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Eilish Neve Isebeul, 6/12/14!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:54 AM

and just to add--i'm seriously, seriously considering doing the doula gig to hold me over and give me my birth fix. it'd give me some semblance of still moving forward and 1 or 2 births a month might be doable.

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Elora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Eilish Neve Isebeul, 6/12/14!

User Tag List