What are the courses like? - NCM - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-24-2010, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I have been anticipating starting as a student with the National College of Midwifery for years and finally sent my application packet off last week (woohoo!!! ).

I am looking for info on what the courses through NCM are like... what sort of assignments, readings, and other work are required for each course? I know that you and your preceptor can make changes to the syllabi, but I'd really like to know what I can expect (assuming I am admitted!).

Thanks for any and all input you can offer.

Allyson - wife, mama, midwife
#2 of 24 Old 01-24-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Just bumping my thread...hoping someone can tell me more about the courses through the National College of Midwifery. I've used the search function in this forum, but couldn't find any insight into this particular question.

Anyone?

#3 of 24 Old 01-24-2010, 11:55 PM

I'm seriously considering applying! Can all the work be done online and through apprentices?

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#4 of 24 Old 01-25-2010, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaDoula View Post
I'm seriously considering applying! Can all the work be done online and through apprentices?
Yes, you are a community-based student, doing distance-learning courses.

To apply you must have a preceptor who is willing to apply to become a faculty member of the school. Eventually you will need two preceptors, as there are certain areas that you will need to be signed off by two midwives.
Your preceptor may be an "academic-only" preceptor or a "clinical-only" preceptor or both. Some students enroll in the school and just work on the academic part and do not complete the clinical requirements until later. It seems like most students are in apprenticeships completing both the academic and clinical requirements.

I'm so excited to get started! I'm still dying to know what the classes are like, though. I've done online/distance courses before during my Bachelors degree program, so I'm no stranger to this format.

So, join me!!! Apply, EricaDoula.

#5 of 24 Old 01-25-2010, 12:13 AM

I should apply! I have 56 college credits from a community college, so I'm hoping some of those would transfer!

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#6 of 24 Old 01-25-2010, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaDoula View Post
I should apply! I have 56 college credits from a community college, so I'm hoping some of those would transfer!
I'm betting they will! I'm going to complete the extra "California" requirments, so that if we move there I will have already met the state reqs for becoming a midwife. This means I'll have to take Chemisty (one of my least fave sciences). I took tons of biology and A&P courses that I'm hoping will transfer, too.

If you end up applying, LMK and let's KIT.

#7 of 24 Old 01-25-2010, 12:28 AM

I'm in the middle of my application paperwork. I'm already 4 months into my apprenticeship, found an academic preceptor and am raring to go. Would love to have a network of others at about the same point.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#8 of 24 Old 01-25-2010, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiles View Post
Would love to have a network of others at about the same point.
Me too! I've been apprenticing about a year and I can't wait to get started on this part of my studies. According to the US Postal Service website (that I've been stalking ), my admission packet arrived yesterday. I've been doing pretty well with self-study, waiting for the right time to apply for school, but I can't wait to get started within the more-formal framework of studies. It will be fabulous to connect with other student midwives who are starting about the same time.

Well, memiles and EricaDoula, here's hoping someone who is in the program or has finished the program will chime in with an idea of what the courses are like.

Anyone else around who has recently applied or planning to apply for NCM?

#9 of 24 Old 01-26-2010, 09:33 AM

I'm hoping I will be able to join soon. However finding a preceptor is my mission right now.
I'll be living in a small town with not tons of options....so I'm hoping (fingers crossed) the few names I have, may be able to help me. I'm prepared to travel to Texas and attend Casa if need be!
I've waited 7 years and I'm ready to start!!

Tell me more when you get your info!! I'm excited for u!
#10 of 24 Old 01-26-2010, 02:27 PM

I'm in the same place as some of you. I'm hoping/planning to attend NCM, but just waiting for the right time and finding the right preceptor. I'm a bit unsure as to how to go about that right now I guess. Trying to read what I can and find ways to make myself look more appealing to a preceptor. What did you do before getting your apprenticeship?
Also trying to figure out how to come up with the money all up front. I have several college courses that I'm hoping will transfer too. I'd also love to hear from those who are in or have finished the program what it's really like.
#11 of 24 Old 01-27-2010, 11:48 PM

Once I get to Oklahoma where I will be living, I'm going to try to find a preceptor and apply!!

#12 of 24 Old 01-28-2010, 03:12 AM

I recently did a year's worth of NCM courses and can definitely give information to anyone interested in the program or starting it soon. I don't have time to write it out right now, but I'll try to do it before this weekend. Also please feel free to PM me with any specific questions!

K, 26, married to D, 27, still trying to conceive our first child after a 7 week loss in January 2011
#13 of 24 Old 01-28-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazykate View Post
I recently did a year's worth of NCM courses and can definitely give information to anyone interested in the program or starting it soon. I don't have time to write it out right now, but I'll try to do it before this weekend. Also please feel free to PM me with any specific questions!
When you have time, I'm very interested in hearing about it!!!

#14 of 24 Old 01-28-2010, 03:27 PM

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazykate View Post
#15 of 24 Old 01-28-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding, lazykate! I sent you some specific questions via PM and would love to hear from you, either via PM or here.

#16 of 24 Old 01-31-2010, 03:29 AM

Here I am with some answers!

FYI: this is for the courses that were sent out in January 2008. There may have been changes since then.

The format of most of the courses is very simple. There is a recommended reading list, and a list of objectives (questions). For some courses, the list of objectives is long and focused on details (History of Midwifery, Anatomy and Physiology) while for others there are fewer questions and they usually require slightly longer answers, perhaps mini-essays.

I found the courses somewhat frustrating. I have a college degree, and I was somewhat surprised by the unprofessional way many of the courses were written. Many, many times my preceptor and I would puzzle over questions that seemed illogical or poorly worded. In the very first course, History of Midwifery, I kept running into questions that were strange or didn't make sense, and I had trouble finding the answers in the books available to me. Finally, by chance, I found another one of the books on the list at a university library, and upon reading it, realized that all the questions for the course had been written with that book in mind. The wordings were the same, and the questions followed each other in the same order as in the book. I was therefore able to complete the course more easily, but I think if someone didn't have access to that book (which I think is out of print), they would have a lot of trouble finding the answers (I will try to look at my notes and see which book it was, because this would be very helpful to current students I imagine! Edited: See below). It seems like laziness that they would not bother to write questions that could be answered by various sources, and didn't depend on seeing the answer in one book. The one course I loved, Statistics, was written by Melissa Cheyney and was fabulous. It was more like a college level course, and she provided all the resources which made it easier.

In sum: yes, the courses are doable, but it takes a lot of perseverance to find the answers they want, and your preceptor should be willing to work with you if you don't always provide the answer they're looking for. My preceptor was shaking her head at a lot of the questions! I almost feel like I would have learned more by just reading a few books on each subject, but I'm a fast reader and can absorb information that way. YMMV.

I hope this helps! If anyone has more specific questions please let me know. I am going to go try to look up that book for Hx of Midwifery! Edit: Here is the info:

Wertz, Dorothy and Wertz, Richard. Lying-In: A History of Childbirth in America. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 1989

You might be able to find this book at a local library or university library. I used to just go and take notes on books at the university library since I couldn't check them out.

K, 26, married to D, 27, still trying to conceive our first child after a 7 week loss in January 2011
#17 of 24 Old 02-02-2010, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you thank you thank you, lazykate! That was just the sort of candid response for which I was looking.

One of the NCM administrators was telling me that the questions associated with each course compiled is a NARM study guide...so I'm excited to have that as a tool. I'm okay with a simple framework - that's really what I was looking for in a program, something that would just give me a bit of organization for my studies. And ambiguous expectations for assignments was the epitome of my Masters degree, so even though I'm sure that can be frustrating at times, it's something I'm used to.

Well, I hope I like the program. Either way I can't wait to get started and really appreciate your input!!!!

#18 of 24 Old 02-02-2010, 08:45 PM

I just finished NCM. I had really great preceptors and I really enjoyed the program. The courses were okay and I agree with the pp, but I do feel that after completing them I was prepared for the NARM exam. I did feel that Module 8 was just completely over the top and with hindsight I would have started working on it earlier in the program, a little at a time. I did not realize that there would be so much work right at the end, when you feel you are almost done. I started 5 years ago, though, so I don't know if things are even in the same order now. Perhaps the fact that I had a new baby made this more difficult for me to complete. The school administrators were always very nice and easy to talk to. I hope you have a really great experience. I think it is all in picking good preceptors.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#19 of 24 Old 02-03-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Update:
I just received my getting-started materials for NCM and it's definitely been confirmed - this program is JUST what I was looking for!!!

The courses are designed in a way that will really, really work well for me and also for my preceptor. The content, assignments, study questions, and format are totally up my alley.

At this point (and hopefully the feeling continues), I am SO GLAD I decided to go through this program. Woohoo!

Thanks everyone for your input. If anyone else is currently going through the program or ultimately begins the program, please PM me to keep in touch...maybe we could start a NCM thread or something.

#20 of 24 Old 10-23-2010, 02:21 PM

just curious how your experience has been this year with NCM? thanks!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#21 of 24 Old 10-23-2010, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd like to hear about it too...

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#22 of 24 Old 10-24-2010, 11:22 PM

If you click around on their website, you can find all the coursework and forms you will have to complete, you can start the work anytime, just don't get credit until you are enrolled-everything must be dated after enrollment...here's a link to the Associates Degree Syallabi-
http://www.midwiferycollege.org/Acad..._academics.htm

My only hang up...fundage. I looked at MCU because of the payment options. But, there are fees right and left and they aren't flat out about exactly what your monthly payment will be, I got nervous and backed out. I'd rather scrounge up the 5K and be done with "payments" especially considering you still have to buy all your own text/supplies for either choice.

HTH!

Mama to 4 Boys & One baby Girl! My DH co-sleeps! (with the couch) I'm a Student Midwife!
#23 of 24 Old 10-25-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispie View Post
If you click around on their website, you can find all the coursework and forms you will have to complete, you can start the work anytime, just don't get credit until you are enrolled-everything must be dated after enrollment...here's a link to the Associates Degree Syallabi-
http://www.midwiferycollege.org/Acad..._academics.htm

My only hang up...fundage. I looked at MCU because of the payment options. But, there are fees right and left and they aren't flat out about exactly what your monthly payment will be, I got nervous and backed out. I'd rather scrounge up the 5K and be done with "payments" especially considering you still have to buy all your own text/supplies for either choice.

HTH!
Thanks! It seems pretty straight-foward academically. Are there only 'study questions' to answer but no actual tests, exams, quizzes or papers to write?

What do you mean about charges 'left and right'? Is that b/c you are on a payment plan with interest accruing? Or is there more than the $5K fee regardless of how one pays?

TIA!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#24 of 24 Old 10-27-2010, 10:21 AM

bumpity! Would love to hear more as I am considering NCM also.

-

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page