I think I have finally decided - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2010, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have decided on CBI for my birth doula certification. mostly because you have the option of paying with installments, and its all online. has anyone had experience with it did you like them?

AP~EBF~CD~nocirc~Babywearing~delayed vaxing~natural birthin' Wannabewith PCOS,Not a mommy yet
aspiring doula(oh,I have a severe case of yurtlust!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 12:05 PM

I haven't had an experience with them yet but I chose CBI as well. I will be starting my course early next month when I've got the money to pay the first payment. Good Luck!!! Oh in case you weren't aware there is a yahoo group for CBI students http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/cbistudents/

DS (03/10) &  DD (06/07) both were/are : waterbirth.jpg homebirth.jpg winner.jpg

Old 01-29-2010, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did the doula/CBE combo and loved it. Loved it so much that now I'm back doing their lactation counselor course.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 01-29-2010, 02:15 PM

I also went through CBI for my birth doula certification and am finishing my CBE certification very soon. I have really liked the programs and CBI overall. It's nice for the doula program to not have to go to a workshop, for me I was very pregnant when I started so it would not have been possible to do a workshop. You also have up to 3 years, I believe, to finish so that's nice with how crazy life can be! If you have any specific questions, let me know, I'd be happy to help.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:29 PM

Wouldn't a workshop be beneficial? I'm still trying to decide who to go through. I like the idea of the workshop so I can get some "hands on" experience. But I really don't have the time with a nursling. It's such a hard decision...

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

Old 01-29-2010, 05:45 PM

I blogged a bit about why I was happy that I chose to take a workshop, if anyone is interested - http://www.hippiemommy.com/2009/08/0...al-monitoring/

-Amanda
Doula, student midwife, and homeschooling mom to 4
Old 01-29-2010, 06:22 PM

I do not have any doula certification but I just attended a CAPPA workshop for CBE/Doula. You can always attend a workshop somewhere else and get your certification threw CBI. You would just say "I am certified threw CBI and have attend bla-bla workshops". I din't pay full price because I told her I wasn't looking to get certified threw them just wanted to take the workshop.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:25 PM

I've attending 2 birth with internal fetal monitoring and NEVER noticed the metal corkscrew end!

Thanks for the link!

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

Old 01-29-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kristina~ View Post
I've attending 2 birth with internal fetal monitoring and NEVER noticed the metal corkscrew end!

Thanks for the link!
You're welcome!

They're really sharp. I mean, I guess it makes sense since it is going into the baby's scalp, but yeah....

Back to the OP: If you need to pay in installments, then you do have other options. If you are interested in toLabor, give Therese a call. She may be able to work something out for you

If you want to learn at home, I've heard great things about CBI too. I really haven't heard many negatives at all for their program, except that it may be hard to volunteer or work in certain places without a workshop. I know that Operation Special Delivery stopped accepting CBI certifications a while back. I'm not sure if that's still the case. Even still, it seems that most parents want to know that you're trained somewhere, but very few know what each organization does. I've heard that CBI does a WONDERFUL job teaching about communication skills. Everyone that I knew who has certified through them has said how great that portion was.

-Amanda
Old 01-29-2010, 11:03 PM

I did my birth doula cert through CBI and I LOVED it! I can't say enough good things about their program! Their communication section is So comprehensive...I learned so much. The physiology section is very in depth and the doula skills are as well. The customer service is great, you get matched with an online trainer that you converse with and who helps critique your work as well as giving you tips and helping you delve deeper into thought processes. The message boards are a wealth of great info and the latest studies...Overall it's just a wonderful program. I didn't feel like I missed out on anything by not attending a seminar.

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
Old 01-30-2010, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Oh no! I didn't know OSD didn't accept a CBI cert!

I did struggle with deciding because of the lack of workshop. if i took a workshop through a different org. would the volunteer places accept me that is of huge importance to me

AP~EBF~CD~nocirc~Babywearing~delayed vaxing~natural birthin' Wannabewith PCOS,Not a mommy yet
aspiring doula(oh,I have a severe case of yurtlust!)
Old 01-30-2010, 03:37 PM

I think I'm going to do my certification (doula/CBE/BF counselor) through CBI, and as the opportunity presents itself take workshops to learn more hands on skills. But since I expect education to be my focus for the next few years it's less of an issue for me.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
Old 01-30-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieroo View Post
Oh no! I didn't know OSD didn't accept a CBI cert!

I did struggle with deciding because of the lack of workshop. if i took a workshop through a different org. would the volunteer places accept me that is of huge importance to me
Have you read this thread on alldoulas? http://www.alldoulas.com/forums/show...pecial&page=14 This link is to page 14, but if you browse through the thread, they talk about the requirements on other pages too.

-Amanda
Old 01-30-2010, 11:36 PM
wbg

I am currently taking the CBE and breastfeeding counsellor course through CBI and I am really enjoying it. Great support through my online trainer and very interesting course work. I picked them due to their international flair and flexibility as I travel frequently. Have chosen not to certify as a doula due to restrictions by certain hospitals. Might revisit that decision at a later date. Good luck to you.

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !

User Tag List