Midwives willing to travel to Malaysia to catch babies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-09-2010, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am writing on behalf of the many women that approach me about having home/waterbirths here. I am an expat living in Kuala Lumpur and had a homebirth a year ago (I am an inactive CPM). This is practically unheard of here but I was determined to do it and some how made it happen. It was awesome and fantastically healing! Here is my story:
http://www.babycenter.com.my/pregnan...ories/pascual/

Anyway, as a result of my desire to vocalize to anyone who will listen, I get asked all the time if I would be willing to attend HBs (not now, my kids are too young-- not to mention the license issues) or know of anyone who would. Anyone willing to travel to KL on what would amount to a "working vacation"?

Do you, or anyone you know, work in Bali in "Ibu Robin"s clinic?

On another note, there is a woman looking for leads on having a homebirth in Brunei. I also need to find someone for her.

I don't know how I became this unwitting SE Asia homebirth coordinator, but I am happy to help get people in touch with other midwives

Help me bring some more birth options to the area!

Happy Baby-Catching!
Vanessa Beyer

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
#2 of 10 Old 02-09-2010, 05:14 PM

I'm not a midwife yet, so I can't help out your friends there. But I couldn't read your birth story and not comment. Congratulations, and good for you sharing it in such a mainstream venue!
I would love to visit SE Asia someday to catch babies, but it's just not time for me yet. I hope this gets you some better replies.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#3 of 10 Old 02-09-2010, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! It was really a blessing.

The local editor of babycenter here in Malaysia is a friend of mine and she is very supportive of natural/gentle birthing. She encouraged me to submit my story, in fact she wants me to submit it to the US babycenter as well. I'll add that to my to-do list

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
#4 of 10 Old 02-09-2010, 10:30 PM

Perhaps MDC mama/midwife majikfaerie would be interested? I follow her blog (majikfaerie.blogspot.com) and she has traveled to attend births previously. Good luck finding midwives for your local mamas!

Allyson - wife, mama, midwife
#5 of 10 Old 02-10-2010, 12:18 AM

Sent you a PM.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#6 of 10 Old 02-12-2010, 07:59 PM

My husband and I have dreamed of visiting Brunei for 10 years. I'm also 'close' to Asia as I am in Hawaii. I have a lot of international experience and my job pays for me to leave to pursue my interests 2 weeks a year and reimburses if it is for education/related reasons (I am a CNM working in a very busy hospital based practice but formerly a DEM that had a homebirth practice, also have worked in a birth center...basically I'm equally comfortable in any setting-just love my job!). If am particularly interested in midwifery in developing countries and maternal mortality, training of traditional birth attendants, and humanitarian relief. (my other degree is an MPH in refugee health). If you know of anywhere that is looking for short-term volunteers in your area that fits any of those criteria, please let me know. Also, a homebirth in Brunei or Malaysia sounds fun!!!!!
#7 of 10 Old 02-12-2010, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ollie Hamilton, owner of birthwithlove.com, is a midwife in Montana that has traveled the world to assist with HB's. If I understand right, that is the main portion of her practice now. I would contact her and see if she is willing to head out to your neck of the woods.
#8 of 10 Old 02-13-2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljeppson View Post
Ollie Hamilton, owner of birthwithlove.com, is a midwife in Montana that has traveled the world to assist with HB's. If I understand right, that is the main portion of her practice now. I would contact her and see if she is willing to head out to your neck of the woods.
That's who I was going to recommend. I live in Korea and she has been here twice to birth with another expat couple. She would have come here for my birth had I not have found a local OB (whom I love) who primarily attends HBs.

Amy, Army wife living in S. Korea, mama to my inverted t c/s baby 04.05.08 and my VBAC with inverted t baby 07.24.10
#9 of 10 Old 02-28-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your posts, and PMs.....

#10 of 10 Old 03-17-2013, 07:31 AM

I know that this is a really old thread, but I'm having trouble finding any info on home births on Borneo. My husband and I just moved to Brunei and also just found out we are expecting. It is actually illegal to have a baby at homel in Brunei. You can get big fines for it and the local hospital won't even let my husband or anyone else in the labor and delivery room with me. I'm definitely considering going to Malaysia to have the baby, but wanted to find a midwife in Miri, a town which is just across the border. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page