preparing placentas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-17-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i wasnt sure excacly where to put this topic.

I once read a wonderful article from a lady that would come to the mothers home after the birth and prepare the placenta in capsles for the mother.
this has stuck with me for some time and i am starting on the book placenta, the gift of life. anyways there is no one in the area i live in that does this for women and i would like to off services to do this.......
how would i go about this?
#2 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 03:37 PM

buy a food dehydrator and you're good to go
#3 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 05:36 PM

http://placentabenefits.info/

You can find someone in your area to do this for you, or learn how to do it yourself, they sell a kit. Or become trained and do it for others.
#4 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

acually, i want to do this as a service for other mama's. I did just find PBi yesterday.
is there a way to do this on my own or is it best to go through pbi?
#5 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 10:52 PM

I'm dubious about the quality of the placenta after it has been processed in a such a way. There are other ways to prepare the placenta for consumption that make more sense in terms of preserving the placenta's properties and making it palatable. You might wants to look into them all.

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#6 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 11:33 PM

I suggest reading this thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...light=placenta

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#7 of 10 Old 03-21-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawmamanibbles View Post
acually, i want to do this as a service for other mama's. I did just find PBi yesterday.
is there a way to do this on my own or is it best to go through pbi?
I started with this, fourth post down:
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/eatplcnt.html

The basic process is simple enough. The challenge for me has been in learning about the effects of different health conditions and medication uses in the mothers, and things like that.

Are you a doula? If so, you may want to join the AllDoulas forum. There's a very active and increasingly knowledgeable placenta discussion group there.

Doula, CBE, Placenta Lady
#8 of 10 Old 03-21-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae View Post
I'm dubious about the quality of the placenta after it has been processed in a such a way. There are other ways to prepare the placenta for consumption that make more sense in terms of preserving the placenta's properties and making it palatable. You might wants to look into them all.
There's a study underway at the University of Las Vegas, I think, that should answer this question a bit.

But many of us are using a method that is based in Traditional Chinese Medicine. In TCM, cooking the placenta along with certain herbs is believed to make the medicine stronger and more effective. So, it depends partly on whether you're following a strictly western scientific model to determine a nutrition-label type of value, or whether alternative medicines with thousands of years of use behind them are meaningful to you.

But I absolutely agree that anyone who is interested in preparing placentas would do well to learn about a variety of methods, and may wish to discuss alternatives with clients to see what the client herself would value and prefer.

Doula, CBE, Placenta Lady
#9 of 10 Old 03-23-2010, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yes i agree with different methods of preparing the placenta. im wondering if i even have to go though PBi or if this is something i can get going on my own in my area?.?
no one in my area is doing this and i think it would be great to offer it. not to mention i agree with it whole heartly....
#10 of 10 Old 03-28-2010, 11:16 PM

You do not have to go through PBi to get trained to do placenta encapsulation, etc. There are a good number of us training ourselves! To me, it is WAY more fun and WAAAAYYYY cheaper.

When you are in business for yourself, you don't have to worry about quotas, etc. If you look at the other string/forum, you'll see us talking about that there, and how we are learning. There is another group on ning.

Personally, I do this (and don't go through PBi) b/c I just want to help women and if I make a few bucks, great. I just didn't want the extra business pressure. If I want to offer it as a free service to anyone, I want to be free to do that and not feel pressured to charge. kwim?

Kudos to Jodi though, she has brought it to mainstream society, which is great....but again her biz isn't for me.

Smiles

Jenny, mother of two boys; 7-25-06 and 7-27-08. Loving wife to Cole. I love birth! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page