HIGHLY recommended DVD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-22-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought and quickly received the movie Laboring Under An Illusion: Mass Media Childbirth VS The Real Thing by Vicki Elson. The movie is only 45 minutes long but it is a powerful reminder of how Hollywood portrays birth on film and TV and how birth actually is....and how we know it can be!

Anyway, I recommend this DVD to all birth professionals. Show it to your clients, especially those who are on the fence about homebirth or who have fears about birth in general.

You can find it here: www.birth-media.com

Has anyone else seen it?

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#2 of 10 Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 PM

I haven't seen it, but the trailer looks great. Did you buy it? Is it available online anywhere or from Netflix?

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#3 of 10 Old 03-22-2010, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

If you can get 4 more people to buy a DVD you can get a quantity discount. I'm not sure about Netflix. Yes, I bought mine.

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#4 of 10 Old 03-23-2010, 06:56 PM

Thank you so much for posting this. I had just told my supervisor at the hospital where I teach that I was wanting this for my classes, but I hadn't heard any reviews yet, so I wasn't sure how good it was. So glad to hear it's a good one! This is a topic I talk about in class, as a way of addressing fear and cultural attitudes about birth, so this sounds like a great addition to that.

Thanks again!
#5 of 10 Old 03-24-2010, 01:29 AM

I feel very blessed that I saw this as a presentation in 2008. The woman speaking on the DVD presented the same material at the 2008 ACNM convention. The funny part was, she had laryngitis and her 20 something year old son (!!) read the script!

I'm so glad she made it available as a DVD!

When I saw it then, and when I saw the DVD a few weeks ago....the Northern Exposure clip made me misty eyed!!
#6 of 10 Old 03-26-2010, 10:36 AM

Would love to have something like this for the on-the-fence folks.

Sadly- money's the issue for me right now.

J.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
#7 of 10 Old 03-29-2010, 09:48 PM

This looks awesome! I would love to see it.
#8 of 10 Old 03-30-2010, 12:37 AM

Yes- I've seen it. My friend picked it up at the Trust Birth Conference a couple of weeks ago. It is great. I will be purchasing a copy and using it in my classes/with clients.
d
#9 of 10 Old 03-30-2010, 10:47 AM

We held a screening here last fall, followed by a panel discussion. I now use it to loan to my students and clients, along with a handful of other videos like The Business of Being Born, Pregnant in America, Orgasmic Birth, Born in the USA, etc.

It's not my all-time favorite, but I do enjoy it! It doesn't have a really strong natural birth message, so although it's not necessarily ideal for my work (I teach a natural childbirth class), it might be especially good for those who teach more mainstream classes.
#10 of 10 Old 03-30-2010, 12:13 PM

I guess I'm in the minority. I thought it was ok, but I wasn't overly excited with it. I did like how they showed the misconceptions of what is acted out on tv. But I don't think they gave the best representation of natural birth or homebirth. It sort of seemed to me that she painted documentaries on natural birth with the same brush as what was acted, that it isn't all what it's cracked up to be either. Which yes that may be true in some documentaries, but that part just rubbed me the wrong way a bit. Maybe I took it wrong. Am I the only one that felt that way?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page