Can I have a hysterectomy and attend a birth 3 weeks later? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-08-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am scheduled for a hysterectomy due to severe uterine prolapse and cystocele and rectocele repair on the 26th of April. I have a client due on May 20th, June 1st and June 10. They will all likely go the last week in May. I will be apprenticing for two and likely acting as primary under supervision at the third. Is it unrealistic to think I will be healed enough and able to attend?

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#2 of 8 Old 04-08-2010, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I assume that your surgery is the 26th of April?

It's really hard to know in advance how you're going to recover. You might bounce right back, or you might need more time.
#3 of 8 Old 04-08-2010, 05:01 PM

My bff had the "belly button" hysterectomy and she says no, not after only 3 weeks. She says it took her 4 months to start really feeling good.

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#4 of 8 Old 04-08-2010, 05:35 PM

It's not neccesarily the hysterectomy, but the repair of the prolapse and cystocele that's going to complicate the recovery. There's a chance you could, but I think it's more likely than not that you'll not be up to it.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#5 of 8 Old 04-09-2010, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by completebeginnings View Post
I am scheduled for a hysterectomy due to severe uterine prolapse and cystocele and rectocele repair on the 26th of April. I have a client due on May 20th, June 1st and June 10. They will all likely go the last week in May. I will be apprenticing for two and likely acting as primary under supervision at the third. Is it unrealistic to think I will be healed enough and able to attend?
Hmm...if this was a client coming to you, asking if she could do these things three weeks after a c section, what would you say? What you'll be undergoing is bigger surgery and a lot more healing, from what I understand.

Good luck with the surgery!

Doula, CBE, Placenta Lady
#6 of 8 Old 04-09-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO Doula View Post
Hmm...if this was a client coming to you, asking if she could do these things three weeks after a c section, what would you say? What you'll be undergoing is bigger surgery and a lot more healing, from what I understand.

Good luck with the surgery!
I have to agree. It is major surgery. In Europe after a c-section or hysterectomy you are advised not to drive, etc.. for 6 weeks.
Three weeks seems like a short recovery time for me.

Good luck!!

Heart of Herbs Herbal and Aromatherapy School and Birth Arts International, educational solutions that work for you! Check out my new book
#7 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 02:45 AM

I had a vaginal hysterectomy, also for prolapse, with some bladder suspension done at the same time. I did not have the additional complications of a true cystocele or rectocele though. I had company in town and was feeling well enough to cook for them and go out to dinner, that sort of thing at 3 weeks post surgery.

I could not have attended 3 births prior to the 6 week mark. I would be very very cautious about expecting that of yourself. This is a major surgery, and very painful to recover from. Mine was uncomplicated, and was still the worst pain, and the most exhausted, I have ever been. And I had three non medicated, 2 with good size repairs, hospital births. The surgery took longer and was more difficult a recovery by far.

You may be able to attend one, or more if they actually went to or past the dates you had listed, but you would still want to be careful.

BUT as a side note, as much as I am against the medical world as a whole, and removal of body parts, the choice to have that surgery done was very difficult and worth every minute. I am now a happy person no longer living in constant misery from all my gynocological issues.

Hope it goes well and everything works out for you!

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#8 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 11:18 AM

Holding a mom up or doing doula work seems like it would be too much for the cystocele/rectocele repair. My mom had this done a couple of years ago, and they stressed she should not do any farm work (feeding/milking goats, etc) at all for quite awhile because she could undo the repair.

I would play whether or not you attend by ear, and only with the understanding that you won't be doing any hard work or lifting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page