Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
?

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#2 of 8 Old 04-10-2010, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Truthfully I have a lot of stuff that I simply don't use!! In my case I do have two bags - one for stuff for the families to use and then one for my personal belongings that I use all the time (toothbrush, food, and other stuff like that). I have two bags because I tell families they are more than welcome to take and use anything from the doula bag as long as they return it to me before I leave.

The things that I use the most in my doula bag are my massage oil and cd's. Other things I have in there that I NEVER use are: about five different types of massagers, flameless candles, blow up pillows for the tub, a book that shows different positions and what stages of labor they are good for (I have this for those dads who want to offer suggestions but don't know where to start), I have some essential oils (have them just because some moms in the past requested them for comfort), small combs, two "prickly balls" and maybe a few other things that like I said I never use. I have found that my voice, presence, and hands are the things I use the most.

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#3 of 8 Old 04-10-2010, 08:20 PM

Change of clothes, toiletries and food for me. A small crock pot so I can do warm compresses. Massage oil and some essential oils (lavender, peppermint, orange). Tennis balls in a sock. "Rice socks" (not really rice in them, and not really socks, lol -- microwavable hot packs!). Mouthwash (to use if she vomits or if she is itchy from epidural). Hairties. Castor oil and homeopathics that help speed labor. A box of non-latex gloves. The lady's file, and the "Labor Handbook" just as a quick reference.
#4 of 8 Old 04-11-2010, 12:16 PM

Bendable straws, gloves, essential oils: lavendar, cirtis, peppermint, eucalyptus, clary sage, watch with minutes and seconds, chux pads, lollypops, Emergen-C, energy bars, honey sticks, stress ball, breath mints, water bottle, garden knee pad, birth ball & pump (when requested), small crock pot, blow-up bath pillow, The Labor Progress Handbook & another book w/ positive birth stories in it (like Ina May Gaskin), 2 tennis balls in a tube sock, toothpaste and deoderant, change of clothes, deck of cards, guided imagery scripts, gallon zip lock bags, fan & mister bottle, hand sanitizer, hair ties, chlorox wipes, mirror...

: : Candace McCollett, CBE, CLD, student midwife : : : : :
#5 of 8 Old 04-14-2010, 06:14 PM

A CHANGE of clothes, rice packs, instant ice packs, food/drink, rebozo, etc. I used to take the kitchen sink with me, but these are the only tools I've ever used at a labor. All the others get in the way so you have trouble finding the thing you NEED when you need it.

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
#6 of 8 Old 04-15-2010, 08:15 PM

The longer I doula, the less I bring with me. I like to have my rice sock, massage oil, a few essential oils, and snacks for myself. The rest I can do without.

Christa
#7 of 8 Old 04-16-2010, 01:55 AM

These things I consider essentials, and I use them a lot:
- a birth ball and its pump (some hospitals in my area have ones that are partly deflated and sometimes they are all being used by other women so I bring mine to make sure one is available, they really are very helpful)
- a tennis ball for counterpressure
- peppermint essential oil and cotton balls to put it on (helpful for nausea, and the scent can be flushed away if it bothers them later)
- a paper fan (for when she feels hot in transition)
- a first-aid heat pack (the type that you crush and it causes a chemical reaction that releases heat, the staff at a major hospital near me prefer them to microwavable rice socks because they are afraid of burns)
- an inflatable bath pillow

Also I tell parents to bring at least two big beach towels as I find hospital ones to be small and not very absorbent.

Other non-essential niceties I bring just in case but don't often use
- Arnica massage oil (good for sore muscles)
- Lavender essential oil (good for relaxation)
- Honey sticks (for a boost of energy)
- LED votive candles (most hospital bathrooms have the option of either bright fluorescent lights or total darkness, so these are nice to give enough light to see by but then the door can also be shut for privacy)
- music CD's of thunderstorms and relaxing piano music
- a pair of prickly balls and combs for squeezing in the hands
- a rebozo

These all fit in a small travel bag that came with a suitcase I bought and is not that heavy.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#8 of 8 Old 04-17-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnchrista View Post
The longer I doula, the less I bring with me. I like to have my rice sock, massage oil, a few essential oils, and snacks for myself. The rest I can do without.
I totally agree. When I first started I remember going to all the various doula websites and buying anything and everything they sold and then compiled the lists from what other doulas said they carried and I had a huge suitcase (I am sure I looked hilarious) and now I carry a small bag on my shoulder

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page