too late to become a midwife? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 28 Old 04-10-2010, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure where to put this post so here it is.
I am 30 and am realizing that I should have listened to my heart and become a midwife like I have dreamed of my WHOLE life. The only reason I did not was because I fainted when I saw blood once in high school, so I figured I could not be a nurse. So I joined the military and got swept away into a different career field, which I ended up getting a master's degree in, so it feels like I'm 'stuck' here. It is all technical, war, and suffering and politics, and once I became a SAHM I realized how negatively this career field affects my life. I just want to be around pregnant women and newborns and medical stuff all the time. I'm even subscribed to Midwifery Today and am going to the midwifery conference in Philly next week!
I've been researching direct-entry nursing programs and now that you need a MS to enter the midwifery field....it's 2-3 more years and $40,000 more school for me. The local doula market is saturated, so I won't get much experience there.

Has anyone started their lives over to become a midwife?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 04-10-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedheadmaestro View Post
Not sure where to put this post so here it is.
I am 30 and am realizing that I should have listened to my heart and become a midwife like I have dreamed of my WHOLE life. The only reason I did not was because I fainted when I saw blood once in high school, so I figured I could not be a nurse. So I joined the military and got swept away into a different career field, which I ended up getting a master's degree in, so it feels like I'm 'stuck' here. It is all technical, war, and suffering and politics, and once I became a SAHM I realized how negatively this career field affects my life. I just want to be around pregnant women and newborns and medical stuff all the time. I'm even subscribed to Midwifery Today and am going to the midwifery conference in Philly next week!
I've been researching direct-entry nursing programs and now that you need a MS to enter the midwifery field....it's 2-3 more years and $40,000 more school for me. The local doula market is saturated, so I won't get much experience there.

Has anyone started their lives over to become a midwife?
I hope its not too late since I am 40 and still planning to become one.
#3 of 28 Old 04-10-2010, 10:48 PM

I'm 37 and just started my apprenticeship 6 months ago. The other student in our practice is over 40. Personally, I think age and experience is an advantage, and it's sure easier having my kids all older and a little bit more independent.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#4 of 28 Old 04-10-2010, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Sounds like the perfect time to get started to me. The cost could be a barrier but the time and new start would totally be worth following your dreams and making a difference for people
#5 of 28 Old 04-11-2010, 12:37 AM

I know this sounds cliche, but it's never too late to go after your dreams. I say go for it if you can swing it financially.
#6 of 28 Old 04-11-2010, 01:01 AM

No way is it too late! My mom was an RN for decades, then was a Nurse Manager of L&D and Mother & Baby for years - then went back to school for a 2nd Masters degree and became a CNM just shy of 50 yrs of age. She is 60 now, and plans to work for several more years as a midwife, and then possibly teach nursing school part-time (or even online classes), into retirement.

Myself? I don't have plans to become a midwife, but am 30 and still working on a first college degree. I am on track to start nursing school next summer - and would finish 15 months later - so at 33 years old. Then, I'd love to continue on until I have an advanced practice nursing degree or a doctorate in nursing (so I'll be 40+).

Basically, I'm just trying to say that of course it's not too late. Best of luck figuring it out.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 28 Old 04-11-2010, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
I hope its not too late since I am 40 and still planning to become one.
I'd love to and I'm 40.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#8 of 28 Old 04-11-2010, 09:34 AM

I'm 34, and am considering midwifery, but not for another 5-10 years - can't do it while the kids are young as my partner's job does not have the necessary flexibility ( and no family in town to rely on).

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#9 of 28 Old 04-11-2010, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
my friend who is a midwife said that it is unusual to have very young women as midwives. most midwives use to be older women who already had their children and the children were grown. they had the knowledge of childbirth (because they had done it a few times), they knew about breastfeeding, child rearing because they had done all of it for years.
which makes since to me.

h

mama to 7 amazing children 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 married to my main man for 24 years 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 and finally home FULL time 

#10 of 28 Old 04-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Depends what route you want to go. CNM or lay midwife, if you want to work in hospitals or do homebirths. Also if your willing to relocate to a more midwife friendly state. In my state we have lay midwives and no state licensing program, most people learn from apprenticeship. No degree required.
#11 of 28 Old 04-11-2010, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
even becoming a nurse midwife... 30 is far from too late to start. i went to nursing school with women in their 40's. 30 is not late at all.

h

mama to 7 amazing children 
 married to my main man for 24 years 
 and finally home FULL time 

#12 of 28 Old 04-11-2010, 06:06 PM

I would post this over in birth professionals!

For My Website, Blog & Primal Pregnancy Tips: See my Profile Page!

#13 of 28 Old 04-12-2010, 02:43 AM

no way. go for it. you'll find a way. (and take a look at DEM (direct entry midwifery) and see if it interests you, being a CPM might be a better fit, or it might not))

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#14 of 28 Old 04-12-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I have gotten a lot of encouragement from everyone I've talked to, even my husband. It just seemed to me that everyone who became a midwife later in life had already been nurses or in the health profession for a long time. It seems awkward to me to go from a tech/computer field to nursing, also while I have a young baby. My other options are doula or IBCLC or BOTH! and those seem less drastic to me, something I could be studying for or working as while also working in my current career. I think even if I could just tell people "I'm studying to be a doula/midwife/lactation consultant" would ease my heart, even if I never actually became one. Also, I can't decide between CNM/CPM or direct entry. I'm going to the Philly midwifery conference on Wednesday, at any rate!
#15 of 28 Old 04-12-2010, 06:27 PM

my midwife started nursing school at 40, THEN got her cnm. she has done very well with midwifery. you have plenty of time.
#16 of 28 Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 AM

Moving to Birth Professionals after consultation with OP

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#17 of 28 Old 04-13-2010, 10:43 AM

Hi! I would totally and wholeheartedly encourage you to pursue your dream The midwife who was with me for my first homebirth didn't start apprenticing until she was in her early forties. By this time, her youngest children weren't nursing, and she had an established support system for longer absences from her family often associated with midwifery. I would say it is never, ever too late to start taking steps to live your dream. I think you owe it to yourself (and to those you would be helping!) to become a midwife. The world needs more people just like you

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#18 of 28 Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 PM

GO FOR IT! My wonderful midwife is in her early 40's. She went from intern midwife practicing under supervison to running her own practice he getting her CPM and RM during my first and second trimester.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#19 of 28 Old 04-13-2010, 02:23 PM

I went to a very traditional CNM school. I was the youngest in my class at 25. The oldest woman in my class was 52, with most of us (there were 16) in their 30s and 40s. So, definitely not too late!

My friend who was 52 is now 62. She practiced for a few years, and she is now teaching nursing school and pursuing her PhD.

And honestly? I was a good midwife at 25. But, age only adds to a midwife. I'd be a lot better one at 35 or 45.
#20 of 28 Old 04-13-2010, 02:35 PM

Its never too late to start... I'm in my mid-30's and just starting to follow my dreams into birthwork, and it will be a bit before I can study to be a midwife. Overall I just want to say Go for it!!!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#21 of 28 Old 04-13-2010, 03:16 PM

it's never too late! i'm almost 40 and i'm starting a midwifery education program this fall
i think you should go for it!

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#22 of 28 Old 04-13-2010, 04:14 PM

My midwife was a nurse-practitioner for many years but didn't study to become a midwife until she was in her 40s. So no, it's not too late for you!
#23 of 28 Old 04-14-2010, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

This and my other thread about previous careers are so encouraging! I'm at the Midwifery Today conference right now!
#24 of 28 Old 04-14-2010, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Another "go for it!" from me.

I'm 25 now and am currently training as a doula. My plan as it stands now is to spend five years as a doula and then transition into becoming a midwife.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds
  11yo dd
 9yo ds and 7yo ds
and 2yo ds 

#25 of 28 Old 04-14-2010, 11:06 PM

I didn't get into my formal midwifery studies til I was 48, and married to a supportive man! Studied informally for years,doulaing and CBE, but didn't do the conferences/Farm training, apprenticeship til the two oldest were grown and the baby was a teenager. Got a BS in Computer Information Systems at 48, and then started my apprenticeship. Am now 54, finished with my CPM candidacy...hope to continue with Midwifery til I die! (I hope that will be in my 90's!
#26 of 28 Old 04-15-2010, 09:19 PM

I'm 52 and currently apprenticing.

If it's too late, I didn't get the memo... and y'know, it wouldn't stop me even if I had.

I don't plan to retire ever.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
#27 of 28 Old 04-17-2010, 10:16 PM

Not too late at all. And you don't have to go to a school to become a midwife. You can do a traditional apprenticeship and get an amazing education and not have to owe anyone anything.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#28 of 28 Old 04-18-2010, 12:10 AM

My advice is to follow your dreams and your passion! GO FOR IT if that's what you want. You'll find a way if it's meant to be.

As for the Midwifery Today conference, I can't believe we missed each other! I was there from Wednesday until Friday. I was so sad to leave. All of the women there were so inspiring! I loved Carol Gautschi. Her spirit is so loving and welcoming. Lisa Goldstein was incredibly cute; this little 64-year-old woman bopping around. Gail Hart is also a lovely woman. And Ina May was there! Talk about inspiring!

I hope you enjoyed the conference as much as I did. I want to wish you hope and encouragement on your career path. You'll find your way.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page