Your career before becoming a 'birth professional'? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 04-12-2010, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted a thread elsewhere asking if it was 'too late' for me to become a midwife at the tender age of 30 after working in the computer forensics and defense contracting field for 12 years, and very recently getting a master's in that field. Everyone has responded that 30 is a normal age to start midwifery; however, I wonder if those people had already been nurses or involved in the medical field already. It seems so awkward and dangerous to switch from computers to midwifery.
What were your careers before becoming midwives and doulas, etc.?
#2 of 35 Old 04-12-2010, 10:34 PM

I became interested in becoming a midwife after the induction of my last baby in 2003. At the time I was 29. I didn't start schooling until 2007 and am now in the last stages of my apprenticeship....I'll be 36 in June. I still work a 9-5 job, the one that pays for my midwifery training and the one I've had since I was 15! It's a total 180 from midwifery but it's a good balance. Not everyone starts out as a doula to become a midwife!

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#3 of 35 Old 04-12-2010, 10:43 PM

I worked as an editor at a music database. Before that I managed a music store, worked as a corporate trainer, and worked in bookstores and restaurants. My college degree is in linguistics. I worked doing medical research as a teenager, but that was my only somewhat-related job and it was 20 years ago. I am 39 and have been a midwife for 4 years.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#4 of 35 Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 PM

If all goes according to my plan, I will earn my CPM in a few months and turn thirty 2 months later.

I worked in the circulation and computer services department of my local library for six years before I quit work to be a SAHM. After 4 years of being a SAHM and looking for an opportunity to apprentice, I officially began my midwifery journey.
#5 of 35 Old 04-12-2010, 10:59 PM

I will start my midwifery education when I'm 33. I turned 30 in December and 3 weeks later decided to start my doula training.

I have been a sahm since 2001 (22 yrs old) and before then I worked on behalf of GM/Delphi doing Customs work.

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#6 of 35 Old 04-12-2010, 11:52 PM

I worked in marketing/PR for 15 years before getting started in birth work (doula/CBE). I'm considering midwifery, but not decided yet... I would be in my early 40s before I complete my training.

It is never too late, you have so many working years left! It's so important to follow our heart, whenever it is in life that we discover our passion.
#7 of 35 Old 04-13-2010, 12:07 AM

I was in sales oriented jobs, in a variety of fields, before birth work. Started doula'ing after the birth of my second, then started down the path to midwifery at 36. Should license and turn 40 right about the same time.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#8 of 35 Old 04-13-2010, 12:13 AM

I've been a CB Educator for 9 years, a doula for two, and I hope to start my CNM training in two years. I'll be 51. I don't think it's ever too late. My day jobs have always been part-time, usually secretarial or at a school. I'm waiting 'til my kids are out of high school. I say go for it.
#9 of 35 Old 04-13-2010, 12:55 AM

I have had some technomedical background, in interventional cardiology (technologist). I also have worked in a law firm, various secretarial positions, microbiology lab in university, food, library, and I've been completely out of the workforce since 2000 (wow, that's intimidating) to be primary caregiver to more and more kids (5). I am a new midwifery student this year, and don't anticipate finishing apprenticeship until I'm about 41 or 42, and my daughter is going to college. But things are actually happening a bit faster than I anticipated initially.
#10 of 35 Old 04-13-2010, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was a soapmaker before going into birth work. I had no nursing or medical background (unless you count me working as a CNA in high school) prior to midwifery.

I became a CPM shortly before my 29th birthday, which is pretty young in the midwifery world. This is a career where it is not at all uncommon for women to wait until their children are grown.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#11 of 35 Old 04-13-2010, 01:38 AM

I worked as a microbiologist for awhile before moving into regulatory management for a food manufacturing company. Before that I worked in a molecular bio lab. I started midwifery school at 27. Most of the women in my graduating class were 28-32 years old. There were also women that were closer to drinking age and ones that were closer to social security age.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#12 of 35 Old 04-13-2010, 02:56 AM

I was just a Bsc grad aged 22, but in my class ages were from 18 to 45+ and I know mws who were former police officers, tv journalists and professional tattoo artists

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#13 of 35 Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 AM

I was 29 when I got my childbirth education certification. 33 when I got my labor/birth doula certification. now I am 35 and just starting to hit the midwifery books! I plan on going all the way through to my PhD in midwifery so I can teach when I am older and can no longer bend over with ease to assist those babies out.

I started with a biology degree and work as a chiropractic assistant for a long time, before any of this childbirth stuff.

: : Candace McCollett, CBE, CLD, student midwife : : : : :
#14 of 35 Old 04-13-2010, 10:56 AM

I am not a midwife, but I became a doula when I was 33 yrs old and now at 40 yrs old am going back to school to become a nurse (just enrolled and starting in the fall when I will actually be 41 yrs old). I don't think it is ever too late if it is your passion.

Oh yes and before becoming a doula and educator I went to school to become and elementary education teacher and after graduating did a little bit of subbing, quit to raise more babies and then ran my own daycare for six years.

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#15 of 35 Old 04-13-2010, 10:08 PM

I work as a social worker full time and have been working on my midwifery education since 2002. I'm 33 now, so I guess I was 25 when I started studying. It'll be a few years yet before I actually get to work as a midwife...took the long road into this profession.
Working full time in an unrelated field worked well for me. It took some creative orchestrating to make sure I had time for everything and could be available for births. but it's doable. Going to a high-volume birth centre for the bulk of my clinicals helped me make sure I gave the time I needed to this part of my education.

married to DH, mother to two amazing little boys born May 18/2010 and May 20/2013!

Infertility has been part of this journey - no more littles for us, but so grateful we have two happy healthy boys and we can now begin to heal from that experience

#16 of 35 Old 04-14-2010, 12:06 AM

I have a degree in fisheries and worked doing fisheries science for many years, then, risk management/HR for a fishing company. Then 7 years as a stay at home mom, then trained and starting working as a doula and CBE at 40, when my kids were 2 and 5. I am 47 now.

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
#17 of 35 Old 04-14-2010, 11:00 AM

Not a BP yet, but I have never had a real job I got married at 18 and went to cosmetology school and got my license. Had a baby the next month and never went to work. I just turned 27 and am working on cbe classes and just starting my midwifery study with aami. Even if I were much older, if midwifery was still my passion I would do it in a heartbeat.
#18 of 35 Old 04-14-2010, 12:36 PM

My first "real" job was as a policy analyst for the federal government, after having had a lengthy internship as a congressional aide. Ironically, both of those skill sets have proven to be useful in the highly political world of homebirth midwifery, lol.

Second, I was a stay-at-home mom. Very useful knowledge base for midwifery.

Thirdly, I worked as a freelance publishing professional (mainly book indexing) from home for the past five year. This overlapped with my midwifery training, and I am just now giving this up (though I have been approached by birth/breastfeeding related publishers and intend to continue to take that work). I also continue to do some freelance writing (and intend to write a book), so those contacts are also useful.

So, no, no medical background here, but I have found usefulness in my past professions.

Gina Gerboth, CPM, IBCLC, MOM
Pueblo, Colorado
#19 of 35 Old 04-14-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginapueblo View Post
So, no, no medical background here, but I have found usefulness in my past professions.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I turned 37 two weeks before the NARM exam and started my midwifery training at 34. I suppose I got started in the birth world upon my accreditation as a LLL Leader when I was 28, though.

Gina Gerboth, CPM, IBCLC, MOM
Pueblo, Colorado
#20 of 35 Old 04-15-2010, 07:21 AM

I have an accounting degree and worked in public accounting rotating between tax and audit for four years before moving on to be the controller of a local high end men's department store. I 'retired' when I got married to my Army husband and trained as a doula at 29 the year after my son was born. I started the CBE stuff the next year. Complete 180

Amy, Army wife living in S. Korea, mama to my inverted t c/s baby 04.05.08 and my VBAC with inverted t baby 07.24.10
#21 of 35 Old 04-16-2010, 01:10 AM

I am just now starting out in the Birth Professionals field after having a home childcare for the past three years.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#22 of 35 Old 04-16-2010, 04:42 PM

Birth professional was my first career.

Now, I'm a SAHM.

When my kids are much older, I plan on going back to nursing. But not into the birth field. Probably ICU.
#23 of 35 Old 04-16-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
I am just now starting out in the Birth Professionals field after having a home childcare for the past three years.
I feel like I recognize your screenname from the Maryland NAP group? Am I wrong?

Nikki
#24 of 35 Old 04-16-2010, 06:51 PM

Don't worry, others are on the same journey. I have a law degree. I work for a computer company on contracts. Right now I'm working and in an evening/weekend nursing program. By the time I get to midwifery school, I'll be 40...

It's all good, age doesn't matter much if it is the path for you!
#25 of 35 Old 04-17-2010, 01:38 AM

Restaurant cook/dishwasher/manager, convenience store operator,factory worker, landscaper(did the dirty work! ), fabric store clerk/management, Quality control person,seamstress, carpet cleaner, homeschool mom of 2, childbirth educator,all before I was 30...after I had my second baby at 25, I started studying, but knew I would not be able to pursue midwifery with small children at home, because of the marital situation. It took another 15 years before I was able to go back to school, start in Nursing and switch to Computers once we got to the end of first semester clinicals. I don't like working with old and sick people...finished with an AAS in Computers, then a BS, THEN went on to my formal midwifery studies...
Long circuitous route, but that's been how it has been...jackess of all trades, mistress of a few, but we are having fun! And learning tons! And meeting wonderful midwives and clients...And all I have to do is take my test and pass it, and I can start helping where I am needed...
#26 of 35 Old 04-17-2010, 03:08 AM

i was a veterinary nurse for seven years prior to my midwifery journey.
#27 of 35 Old 04-19-2010, 05:30 AM

I'm 20 right now. I worked in a pharmacy ages 16-19, and I absolutely hated it. I did an office job for about six months, hated it. I'm currently a full time student (Anthropology and Pre-Med) and I nanny for a 6 year old. I have been doing hundreds of hours of reading over the last few years, and ideally will become a certified doula in the next two years. I'm moving to a different state for my last 2.5 years of school next year, so I'll just do some crappy minimum wage job to pay my bills. I'll be taking my MCATs 2013, then we'll see if I get accepted into any med schools. If I do, Ob/Gyn here we come! I hope to never have a career outside of the birth professional world

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#28 of 35 Old 04-29-2010, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I worked in publishing (feminist mag, then children's mags) doing circulation/advertising (which I hated). I've been in social services for the past nine years, helping clients connect with resources, now doing fraud investigation.

I've been doulaing for about 1.5 yrs and am extremely passionate about birthwork. This is what I want to do. When I didn't get into the midwifery program last year (got on waiting list but didn't budge) we decided to have another child. It will be awhile before I can turn our resources (money, time, energy) to me going back to school again.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#29 of 35 Old 04-29-2010, 07:58 PM

I started out as a car mechanic who can top that as a 180 from midwifery!

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#30 of 35 Old 04-29-2010, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
I started out as a car mechanic who can top that as a 180 from midwifery!
Does a part-time job count? Because I was a construction equipment mechanic in the Army National Guard for 6 years as well

In a way it isn't super different.... we are still working with our hands, right?

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page