Mothering Forum banner

Any Midwifery Students in Canada?

779 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Surfacing 
#1 ·
I know there is a long midwifery student thread but my two weeks post-partum brain doesn't really feel like looking through it all at the moment (though I will eventually). I was wondering if there are any Canadian midwifery students here. I'm currently taking the Midwife to Be training (anyone else....Canadian or not). Not quite enough, IMO, to become a midwife but really good start (though I'm going to have a lot of issues getting clinical hours). I plan to apply to a couple of the Canadian universities in 3 years (Trois-Rivieres and probably Ryerson) so I'd love to hear about that route from those doing it as well.

I know there was a few Canadian students here a number of years ago when I was first looking so I'm wondering who is around now.

#2 ·
i'm starting with laurentian in the fall. are you looking at getting clinical hours in canada or going elsewhere? it can be near impossible to get canadian clinical hours unless you already live in edmonton or calgary, and even then, it's very competitive.

if you are planning to apply to a canadian school in the future anyway, i would probably consider taking some of the electives or another degree of some sort.

if not, then consider the bridging program you will have to apply through in order to register as a canadian midwife when choosing an international program.

i hope that helps, i'm not sure exactly what you are looking for. there are a LOT of MCU students currently in alberta, but the students who do not live in edmonton or calgary do have to leave the country for clinical placements and it is tough.

#3 ·
Yes, I have some university credits that I can already apply towards midwifery and will continue to take more as I can. I am in Nova Scotia so there is no hope of apprenticing with a midwife here. I will be able to count breastfeeding support and doula work as part of my clinical hours but obviously eventually they want more clinical skills used at the births attended and I will run into significant issues with my training. I can maybe run off to the US or elsewhere once or twice but financially certainly not more than that!!

Therefore even if I were to finish the training I would not have enough births attended on my own to write NARM leaving me unable to do the bridging program, I believe.

I just wanted to check in and see who was out here from Canada.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.