aspiring mw - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am beginning to explore the possibility of a career in midwifery down the road. I still have little ones at home, so it will be at least several years before I can even begin schooling. Would any midwives be willing to answer a few questions (privately if preferred)?
1.What led you to a career in midwifery?

2.What were your first steps once you knew you wanted to be a midwife?

3.What are the biggest challenges you face as a midwife?

4.What are the greatest joys you experience as a midwife?

5.When a birth goes wrong – serious maternal/fetal complications or death, how do you deal with that?

6.What advice would you give to an aspiring midwife?

7.What books would you recommend to someone exploring a career in midwifery?
#2 of 2 Old 05-20-2010, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there! I'm not a midwife, but I am in the same place as you... 2 little kiddos, plus I want more, so it wil be a while (seems like forever) before I get to begin formal learning & apprenticeship. So, for now I am reading midwifery texts. I figure any preliminary exposure will make studying easier on me in the future. If you want a decent guideline for what to read, I use the reading list on the texasmidwives.com site. As far as what happens when a birth goes wrong, that is also my greatest fear. However, I have heard it said that the fear subsides as you gain knowledge and experience. I look forward to getting to that place! Good luck!

Ooh, you could also do CPR certification and/or A&P classes, which are required by some programs

Believing, doting, simplifying, caffeinating, baking, midwife in training, and mothering like a dirty hippie. tea6.gif

baby.gif #3 due in April!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page