cappa or alace? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-18-2010, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am trying to decide between cappa and alace for my cbe certification. any thoughts or experiences?

tia!
#2 of 12 Old 05-18-2010, 09:40 PM

I wouldn't touch ALACE with a 10 foot pole right now which is unfortunate because it used to be a great organization, and it might still be...but organization is terrible since they've been transitioning. Which would be ok but it's been about 2 years. I was one of their longest defenders but I just can't see the value anymore. I know very little about CAPPA but I do know they are fairly well respected and if you need to actually get certified in a short amount of time, that's probably the best way to go.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#3 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 09:07 AM

As far as I know, there is no ALACE anymore, is there? They were really great for doula training (their doula and CBE training still exist but they split off). I like CAPPA as a general rule. I'm doing my antepartum doula training with them and I did a CLE workshop with them. As an organization they are anti-UC but i'm just going to pretend I didn't see that!

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#4 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeBirthGirl View Post
As an organization they are anti-UC but i'm just going to pretend I didn't see that!
You have to sign that you agree with their philosophy, dont you? So you, as a doula or cbe, could not support a woman choosing UC. And because of that I would not be associated with it.

ALACE is now International Birth and Wellness Project and the doula training is now toLabor. Things are very slow going because thier computers crashed and they are trying to catch up. It personally donsnt affect me because I can still do my work and Ill just turn it all in at once. You can also start teaching and get all your requirements. Its a pain, and honestly I dont know how it is going to turn out. But because of its philosophy Im going to stick it out and see what happens. If it does go downhill or end I wouldnt choose another program, I would just work independantly.
#5 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hram View Post

ALACE is now International Birth and Wellness Project and the doula training is now toLabor. Things are very slow going because thier computers crashed and they are trying to catch up. It personally donsnt affect me because I can still do my work and Ill just turn it all in at once. You can also start teaching and get all your requirements. Its a pain, and honestly I dont know how it is going to turn out. But because of its philosophy Im going to stick it out and see what happens. If it does go downhill or end I wouldnt choose another program, I would just work independantly.
This. I was finishing up my CBE as they switched over. I didn't bother to certify for multiple reasons but the course is fantastic and I highly recommend it.

Kelly - Children's Restraint Technician Instructor - Mom to my December boys
#6 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 01:06 PM

I know you didn't ask about Childbirth International. But that is who I am taking the Childbirth Educators course with and I LVE IT!! And I did a lot of searching around before I made the decision and I couldn't be happier with the course. I also decided to take their Breastfeeding Counselors course and it is amazing!
I personally do not like CAPPA because of some of the discrimination they inflict on Doulas from other orginizations and their lack of support for UC. And I am sure their is more.

Vanessa, human of many awesome and not so awesome qualities. ; married to my Scorpio
mama to Ayden 6 years and Gena born 9/16/09
#7 of 12 Old 05-29-2010, 01:52 AM

I have CAPPA and DONA training...cert. through CAPPA. I really love their professionalism and openness. I feel like the training was very good and the support is also.

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
#8 of 12 Old 05-31-2010, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've done CAPPA's lactation educator and childbirth educator training and I'm working on my certification right now and I love them. The only complaint I have is that they don't help you find people - for example, you have to sit in on breastfeeding consultations and student teach with a certified educator, but you're on your own to find those people. Other than that, I think it's a great organization.

One of the great things about CAPPA is the support. There's a Yahoo group, a free conference every year, and they just started a social networking site (which I haven't checked out yet because I'm waiting on my membership renewal to clear).

Regardless of my own personal feelings on UC, I totally understand why they can't support it as an organization. It's basically a liability issue. If something happened at a UC, someone could sue CAPPA for "encouraging" them to birth without an attendant. And they'd win, too.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#9 of 12 Old 06-22-2010, 10:48 PM

CAPPA all the way! I'm certified as a childbirth educator through them and am on year 7 teaching with that certification. Just a few months ago singed up for doula certification after going it w/o cert of the past 10 years. I wouldn't work with any other org for this certification.

They're on their toes with contact when you have a question and I have no complaints.

That being said, I think any certification is worth whatever you put into it. You can't expect a huge return if you don't give 100% effort.

Kendra
#10 of 12 Old 06-24-2010, 09:40 AM

When I read everything, I felt very drawn to BirthWorks, so that's what I've gone with. I anticipate having a good learning experience. It's like other certifications; you go in spurts and make good progress then life gets busy busy! I should have another spurt or two this summer (I hope!).
#11 of 12 Old 06-24-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post
When I read everything, I felt very drawn to BirthWorks, so that's what I've gone with. I anticipate having a good learning experience. It's like other certifications; you go in spurts and make good progress then life gets busy busy! I should have another spurt or two this summer (I hope!).
Was just going to say, I read CAPPA's info, Childbirth International, and what used to be ALACE as well. I was put off by the lack of organization of ALACE.
#12 of 12 Old 06-27-2010, 08:11 PM

I believe so firmly in ALACE's philosophy and its trust in birthing women as well as in us- doulas and CBEs. I love the fact that the requirements are more stringent than most- it makes me feel that I'm really earning my certification.

ALACE's doula cert program is in GREAT hands as toLabor, being run by the same woman who was running it for ALACE. I'm getting ready to do the workshop again (after 3 years) because Therese is such a great teacher and inspiration.

I'm currently trying to finish up the CBE cert, however, with its new organization (IBWP), and having a much tougher time communicating with them. I knew that ALACE was coming apart even as I signed up for the CBE course, but went for it anyway because I believe in more rigorous assignments. Now that I'm in, I've decided to just get it finished.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page