when are you to sick to attend a birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-25-2010, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay - I now the obvious answers to that question. What about being at the end of a slight cold or feeling like you might be coming down with something but not sure?

Can I have some advice from doulas or midwives who have been in the field longer? When do you call it quits and call the back-up? What are the signs (besides fever and being crucially ill)?

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#2 of 8 Old 05-25-2010, 08:43 AM

Without a fever or other obvious signs of illness such as diarhhea, I would still go to a birth. Have done so--when feeling like I may be coming down w/something, or just getting over something. In this case, I make sure to take excellent care of myself during the birth (resting when possible, eating right, using supplements/herbs if called for). I also do a LOT of hand washing, and just try to be extra super mindful about germ transmission...more than usual!

Last winter, for instance, I had a pretty bad respiratory flu with a cough. First, I just laid around for a few days, pumping the vitamins and herbs, resting up since I had people due soon. When the births came a few days later, I felt much better but still had a bit of a cough. So I made sure to keep tissue on hand--when I felt a coughing bout coming on, I would grab tissue and try to get out of the birth room before coughing (at least as far from mom as I could). Cough into the tissue, then wash hands. I also brought extra clothes, changing them more often than usual.

I had 3 births in 30 hours...neither moms nor babies got sick. But again, I was feeling much better, no fever, cough was present but reduced by then. No way I would have felt ok going to those births during those days I lay on the couch sipping soup and ginger tea, coughing a lot, low fever, otherwise fatiqued!
#3 of 8 Old 05-25-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
Without a fever or other obvious signs of illness such as diarhhea, I would still go to a birth. Have done so--when feeling like I may be coming down w/something, or just getting over something. In this case, I make sure to take excellent care of myself during the birth (resting when possible, eating right, using supplements/herbs if called for). I also do a LOT of hand washing, and just try to be extra super mindful about germ transmission...more than usual!
I totally agree with this. I have attended births when I was not feeling well, but without a fever, vomiting or diarrhea and then just was very vigilant about washing my hands and trying to control germ transmission like was stating above.

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

#4 of 8 Old 05-25-2010, 02:19 PM

If I feel like I'm really coming down with something or I'm getting over something but still coughing then I wear a regular medical face mask. People over here where them everywhere, even if just to the store, so it's no big deal. Fever, vomitting, diarrhea would prevent me from going as well.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#5 of 8 Old 06-06-2010, 12:45 AM

Vomiting or diahrea. Lightheadedness as well.

If I felt like I was coming down with something, other than like a small cough, I would probably let mom know asap and let her know what state I was in, and give her the choice if she would like to call backup. Let her know I am willing and able, but that I understand if she would prefer me not there.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#6 of 8 Old 06-08-2010, 10:38 PM

Good question leurMaman!

What I wonder about is whether or not to share with a mom if I am feeling a little under the weather and then ask her whether or not she feels comfortable having me be there. I wonder if it is a decision I should make or do I put the decision in her hands. I haven't been presented with this situation yet but it was really on my mind when I was very sick in April and on call. There was a stretch of about a week when there was NO WAY (i.e. I was the sickest I've ever been in my whole life) I would have been able to attend a birth, but then there was just a lingering cough and I kept wondering if I got called then, what I would say to the mother. Fortunately when it was time to go to this birth I didn't even cough once and I felt 99% better. Again, I'm not sure if I should be asking the mom to make that decision or not. Hmmmm . . .

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
#7 of 8 Old 06-09-2010, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
fever is the deal breaker for me- besides considering myself I have to be sure I am protecting the mom and newborn-
the other stuff I would stay clear of attending births if you know you are exposed to something that is contagious before fever and you are not immune- like chicken pox
I have gone with migraines and mild toothaches, allergies- but I also work with others so one of us can be resting while the other is paying closer attention that is often just enough break to perkup more and do what you can.
#8 of 8 Old 06-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMama View Post
What I wonder about is whether or not to share with a mom if I am feeling a little under the weather and then ask her whether or not she feels comfortable having me be there. I wonder if it is a decision I should make or do I put the decision in her hands.
As an experienced doula, I can say that this should DEFINITELY be the mom's decision. Can you imagine if you were the mom, and your doula came to your birth ill, didn't tell you, and then you or your newborn got sick? Oh! Think about RSV, which presents as a minor cold for adults, but can be quite serious in newborns. I'm not saying that I know the right decision in a case like this one, but I know that decision should definitely belong to the family.

I always tell my client if I am even the slightest bit ill, and offer them the option that I am still happy to come (if I'm really feeling up to it, no fever, diarrhea, etc.), or I can call a back-up if they would prefer. At the mom's request, I have attended a birth with a minor cold before, just dosed up on decongestant and kept good track of hand washing. But it was rightfully the mom's decision. I would not go to a birth if I was coughing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page