What DVDs do you reoommend for childbirth education/doula clients? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-29-2010, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have two DVDs so far Gentle Birth Choices (Barbara Harper) and MotherTouch (massage and touch for birth).

What other DVDs have you liked for teaching childbirth classes and/or sharing with doula clients?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#2 of 12 Old 05-30-2010, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always lend Business of Being Born, Orgasmic Birth and Baby-led Dance to all of my clients. If they havent watched them that is. They usually watch BoBB, OB and BLD in that order. I recommend the BLD the last few weeks of pregnancy to prepare for nursing. Those are the staple videos that are leant out the most.

I also have kangaroo care I and II, Attending Birth, Prenatal Yoga, Its my birth my body and my baby and Pregnant in America.

Herbalist.Doula.Photographer. 
Euphoric Birth, Euphoric Herbals, Euphoric Photography

#3 of 12 Old 06-06-2010, 12:39 AM

Not so much for classes, but for clients I have a copy of Birth As We Know It, that I am absolutely in love with. I have had several that gave it back to me with this look of awe on their face and been like "THAT is the birth I'm looking for".

I'm interested to check out baby-led dance. It sounds interesting, and I've never heard of it before.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#4 of 12 Old 06-06-2010, 09:29 PM

Right now, I am really fond of Everyday Miracles (Injoy Videos). You can watch it off the Lamaze website. I am in a climate that it works well in. It is short and encouraging I believe. I also recommend/or show my students the videos on Mother's Advocate.
Now, I have It's My Body, My Baby, My Birth, but I haven't loaned it or used it in class yet. There are no homebirth midwives that serve our area, but I am planning to use some of the extra takes in future classes - particularly the OB describing her role in birth. If a student/client is very enthusiastic or wanting more info for herself, I'd recommend The Business of Being Born or Pregnant in America. I think those are very accessible to those open to the information.

I also had to add that I watched Birth Without Violence, and while it probably wouldn't be too exciting for most mamas... it excited me as a birth professional. The segment of infant massage and the chanting birth is just beautiful!

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#5 of 12 Old 06-07-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered the DVD of the Mother's Advocate clips yesterday, so that I can use it with clients without having to use the computer.

#6 of 12 Old 06-29-2010, 11:22 PM

Penny Simkin's Comfort Measures for Childbirth DVD
and Stages of Labor II by Injoy

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#7 of 12 Old 06-30-2010, 12:02 AM
Banned

I second Orgasmic Birth
#8 of 12 Old 07-02-2010, 06:19 PM

subbing

Mothering Hands Birth Doula, Hypnobabies Hypno-Doula, Birth Photographer, Breastfeeding Counselor & Placenta Encapsulator placenta.gif proudly serving Inland Empire, CA. 

#9 of 12 Old 07-03-2010, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliShanti View Post
Penny Simkin's Comfort Measures for Childbirth DVD
and Stages of Labor II by Injoy
What do you like about the one from Injoy? I just won a $100 gift certificate for their store.

#10 of 12 Old 07-03-2010, 06:43 PM

I wanted to add Relaxation, Rhythm, & Ritual: The 3 Rs of Childbirth. I recently watched it and loved it.

Mothering Hands Birth Doula, Hypnobabies Hypno-Doula, Birth Photographer, Breastfeeding Counselor & Placenta Encapsulator placenta.gif proudly serving Inland Empire, CA. 

#11 of 12 Old 07-04-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
What do you like about the one from Injoy? I just won a $100 gift certificate for their store.
I use Stages of Labor from Injoy. It's useful for doing the overview "Labour and Birth 101" at the beginning of a prenatal class series. It has computer graphics of how the fetus moves through the pelvis that are very helpful. It also shows a standard North American hospital environment to normalize that for people.

There are things that bug me about it, but those become teaching points, too. For instance, the final graphic of the cardinal movements the female torso is suddenly in a reclining position and blue hands come out of nowhere to receive the baby. So we talk about that. :-)

So I show that the first night of class so we're all on the same page about stages of labour, etc. After that I show them as many alternative, non standard-North-American-hospital-environment images as I can. :-)

Doula, CBE, Placenta Lady
#12 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 02:21 PM

For an introspective, arty, fun at times & yet not frivolous one... The Big Stretch, made in Australia. Lots of frank & thoughtful interviews with mamas & pg mamas.

Michelle L'Esperance, Certified Professional Midwife ~ Warm Welcome Birth Services

Homebirth Midwife, Birth Doula, Postnatal Doula, Night Doula, and Doula Trainer

Northampton, Massachusetts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page