Birth Pool Question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-23-2010, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you who have a birth pool for your clients to use, how do you disinfect it between clients? Any great tips? (My most recent client labored in hers for an hour or so and they asked me if I wanted it since they were planning on throwing it away. It is one of the oval fishy pools, not actually a birthing tub, if that makes a difference.) Would you feel OK using it for subsequent clients? Thanks in advance!

Jenny: 40 Something AP mom to 2 adult kids, 2 teen step kids, and one amazing 7YO. Doula and Brio Birth educator, too!
#2 of 7 Old 06-23-2010, 10:48 AM

I plan on buying a birth pool eventually for clients, but will be sticking with a pool with a liner. Then once the liner is removed, you wipe it down with rubbing alcohol.

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#3 of 7 Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 PM

The mw's around here have the clients buy a disposable liner with their birth kit that can just be thrown away. That way, none of the mom's "fluids" actually come into contact with the tub.

In your instance, I would probably rinse it out with either alcohol or better yet, 1:9 chlorox and then from here on out use a disposable liner in it.

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
#4 of 7 Old 06-25-2010, 02:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have a pool that takes a disposable liner and then wipe it all down with bleach water and clorox wipes after to be sure all of it is clean and disinfected.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#5 of 7 Old 06-25-2010, 10:56 AM

The pool I have also comes with a liner that is changed with each laboring mom. I wipe it down with Sani-Wipes, which are the hospital grade wipes that kill everything. My question is what do people use to clean out the pumps that pump the used water out? Bleach water? Do you make a big bucket and have the pump, pump it out? Do you have a specific hose for this?

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#6 of 7 Old 06-25-2010, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthing View Post
The pool I have also comes with a liner that is changed with each laboring mom. I wipe it down with Sani-Wipes, which are the hospital grade wipes that kill everything. My question is what do people use to clean out the pumps that pump the used water out? Bleach water? Do you make a big bucket and have the pump, pump it out? Do you have a specific hose for this?
Yep, I carry I home depot bucket with me and fill that with strong bleach water and place the pump in it to pump it out. I require the families to supply a new hose that we use for both filling and then emptying their pool (and bleach water). Also as an added protection, I would never use the pump in water that a woman may get back into. Once the pump touches the water then I consider the water and liner to be contaminated.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#7 of 7 Old 07-07-2010, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry haven't been on line in a while. So, where are the pool liners available? Do they come in different sizes?

Jenny: 40 Something AP mom to 2 adult kids, 2 teen step kids, and one amazing 7YO. Doula and Brio Birth educator, too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page