Purchasing birth and breastfeeding videos - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-01-2010, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
I am having trouble finding some older videos available anywhere to purchase. Specifically, I am looking for Delivery Self Attachment and Birth in the Squatting Position (not sure if that last one was actually called that but it was footage of women squatting to give birth).

If you have a good resource for purchasing these or other good videos/DVDs, please share! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-02-2010, 06:26 PM

Are you talking about there?

http://www.1cascade.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=5909

and

this one: http://www.1cascade.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=7409

Mothering Hands Birth Doula, Hypnobabies Hypno-Doula, Birth Photographer, Breastfeeding Counselor & Placenta Encapsulator placenta.gif proudly serving Inland Empire, CA. 

#3 of 5 Old 07-02-2010, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, thank you! And I was also just asking, in general, for where your favorite resources are for buying birth/pregnancy/breastfeeding related DVDs, as it seems like a lot of these are not readily available on sites like Amazon.

The first one you linked is $50 for a ten-minute DVD. There is no way I can afford that. And the second is $30 for a 6-minute DVD. Ouch. Of course they are wonderful and I want to support the work, but, wow, that seems like it's a little inflated.
#4 of 5 Old 07-03-2010, 04:13 PM

Dr Jack Newman has a video around $30, that I think is GREAT. It's on his site. It's around 30 minutes long, if I remember correctly.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#5 of 5 Old 07-04-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Yes, thank you! And I was also just asking, in general, for where your favorite resources are for buying birth/pregnancy/breastfeeding related DVDs, as it seems like a lot of these are not readily available on sites like Amazon.

The first one you linked is $50 for a ten-minute DVD. There is no way I can afford that. And the second is $30 for a 6-minute DVD. Ouch. Of course they are wonderful and I want to support the work, but, wow, that seems like it's a little inflated.
It's a very small market. And the two that you're looking for are both at least 25 years old, I'm sure. It's a miracle they were ever re-released in DVD!

Instead of Delivery Self Attachment, for about the same price you can get a current one called "Baby-Led Breastfeeding: The Mother Baby Dance" which has a lot more teaching on it - both for parents and for birth professionals. It's the only bf video I use now. I keep Jack Newman's to lend out to people who are having problems, but not as an initial how-to.

(Personally, I always found Delivery Self Attachment upsetting - I wanted someone to pick up that poor baby! It seemed to involve the mother ignoring her instincts to cuddle her baby.)

http://www.geddesproduction.com/brea...g-baby-led.php

I don't have a direct alternative to Birth in the Squatting Position, but I like to use a variety of things in classes, whatever I can get my hands on so that people see a wide variety of women birthing in a wide variety of ways. Currently I'm using a mainstream educational one, the Russian waterbirth one, sometimes Birth Day - the Naoli Vinnivar one, and I have Orgasmic Birth and The Business of Being Born available to borrow.

HTH

Doula, CBE, Placenta Lady

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page