Birth Doulas - Has a hospital ever wanted this from you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-02-2010, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am finishing up my birth doula certification. There is only one hospital in my area and so far things have been great. In fact, the director of OB urged me to get certified for this. But now they want me to sign a confidentiality release form? As if I am hired by the hospital, not the families. For some reason she thinks that because I am being paid to do this (or will be once Im certified) I should sign their release. I disagree. What do you think?
#2 of 9 Old 07-02-2010, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have never had to sign anything for the hospital. I have heard of some hospital requiring an agreement about doula behavior prior to being allowed in the rooms, is it like that? Or is it sealing you to be completely confidential about the way the hospital behaves? Or what exactly?

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#3 of 9 Old 07-02-2010, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwifeErika View Post
I have never had to sign anything for the hospital. I have heard of some hospital requiring an agreement about doula behavior prior to being allowed in the rooms, is it like that? Or is it sealing you to be completely confidential about the way the hospital behaves? Or what exactly?
Honestly, Im not sure! My MIL is an LPN in OB there, and the director of OB was talking to her about it. One of the nurses invited me behind the nurses station, but I didnt go. I felt that was over stepping my boundaries. I want to be treated by the staff as if I am just another support person for the family. If the nurses are discussing something about a patient, they shouldnt be doing in ear shot of me or any other person who is there, kwim? I dont get it...

I was just wondering if any other birth doulas have signed hospital confidentiality forms. Nothing like that was every mentioned in training, thats for sure.
#4 of 9 Old 07-03-2010, 12:32 AM

I have a confidentiality agreement that I use between me and my client. The hospital has no part in it. They aren't the ones you work for. I wouldn't sign it on that principle alone. I take that autonomy very seriously, as I feel it is necessary for maintaining trust between me and my client.

SAHM to Declan (12/12/06) and Blythe (2/9/09)
#5 of 9 Old 07-03-2010, 12:32 AM

When I was part of a hospital program, yes, I signed a confidentiality form. For a doula in the community it makes no sense. Have you shown the director of OB the HIPAA form you have your clients sign as a DONA doula? Perhaps that would aleviate any concern they have.

April :
Mom, Wife, Doula, CBE
#6 of 9 Old 07-03-2010, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have not been asked to do that by a hospital.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#7 of 9 Old 07-04-2010, 02:52 AM

Oh H3ll No!

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#8 of 9 Old 07-05-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls181 View Post
I am finishing up my birth doula certification. There is only one hospital in my area and so far things have been great. In fact, the director of OB urged me to get certified for this. But now they want me to sign a confidentiality release form? As if I am hired by the hospital, not the families. For some reason she thinks that because I am being paid to do this (or will be once Im certified) I should sign their release. I disagree. What do you think?
I would absolutely NOT sign that. You are not hired by the hospital. You are a "guest" of the woman in labor. That is the fine line that doulas walk, we advocate and support and inform and encourage our clients, but we do not have an absolute RIGHT to be there. So, if there is a conflict between you and hospital staff, you could be asked to leave or "thrown out". BUT you are under no obligation to sign anything between you and the hospital. BUT they are under no obligation to allow you to be there. It would be unusual if they disallowed doulas and other support persons there, as "every" hospital I've ever been in has allowed additional persons for the support of the mother. It would be very bad PR for them, and hospitals do have to compete with other local hospitals, especially in the patient satisfaction area, but it could happen.

That's a lot of "buts" lol.

If they insist, then I'd have a chat with them, and clearly go over my role as a doula, how i am hired by the parents, how I do not plan to "cause problems" but am simply hired support for mom and dad, how I have no interest in other patients statuses, etc. and how I am to be treated just like a grandmother or other family member would... not being allowed into staff only areas, not allowed behind the desk, etc.
It's possible, if you're the first doula in their hospital, that they're just really unclear about just who you work for and what your duties and responsibilities are. You have a great opportunity to lay the foundation for good relations for future doulas!
- Jen

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#9 of 9 Old 07-09-2010, 08:17 AM

Most of the time it is just a simple form to cover their butts so they don't have to ask you to leave when discussing your clients medical information with them. I see no problem in signing it. It doesn't mean they think you work for them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page