Baby postions that are hard to deliver - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-18-2010, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ladies out of curiosity, what are the baby positions that you've seen that have been the hardest to deliver? Not necessarily ones that take the longest (though hardest usually leads to longest), but ones that have seemed the hardest for you personally or a momma you've attended, to deliver. I've seen one slight brow presentation, 10lb baby (that delivered in less than 10 min; incredible lady) and my own hardest was my last baby who was posterior, 10lbs 2oz, delivered both shoulders at the same time, and had two nuchal hands (hands crossed over her chest like a mummy) but also delivered in less than 10 min.
#2 of 11 Old 07-18-2010, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The hardest has been hands down a mentum posterior face presentation... it ended in c/s.

Otherwise the most difficult were a slight brow presentation (the first time this mom didn't precip, she worked really hard to get this baby out) and one particularly difficult shoulder dystocia.
member234098 likes this.
#3 of 11 Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

A mento, ugh, I can't even imagine that. I've never seen one and hope to never see one. Just wondering, was your brow mom overdue? Supposedly a mento is more likely with a predates baby and a brow with postdates. My lady with the brow was postdates.
member234098 likes this.
#4 of 11 Old 07-19-2010, 12:20 AM

the slight brow was not past her due date but the mentum posterior was. I could do without seeing one of those again!

I can't help but wonder if the slight brow wasn't related to having had an ECV... although she had ECVs in two prior pgs without any issues.
applejuice likes this.
#5 of 11 Old 07-19-2010, 08:57 AM

ascynclytic hand sucking babies often seem to take an extra couple of hours of pushing! they also tend to cause alot of extra back/pelvis pain, from what I imagine to be little fists grinding against their mom's sacrums or symphysis.

I've been at two mentum anterior births.....one as a student at a multips birth, the baby came so quickly I missed it when my back was turned |(interestingly she had also had an ECV). The second was a primip, it was a totally normal paced labour and pushing stage, it went undiagnosed until the lips appeared at the perineum.
member234098 and applejuice like this.

Mother to none, midwife to many .
#6 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

d

member234098 likes this.
#7 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 11:06 AM

Can I butt in and ask a sort of related question? I attended a doula birth where the mom was feeling numbness and zings in her right leg the whole time. She had sciatica during her pregnancy and the midwife said it was just the way the baby was likely laying on a nerve. But the mom kept saying "No one is listening to me. This isn't right." which concerned me but I didn't know what else to do. She ended up with a cesarean and the doc said baby was asynclitic up against her right pelvic outlet which was why things had stopped progressing and baby's HR gotten non-reassuring. This mama had worked so hard and I was wondering if that leg pain was an early signal that baby was asynclitic or malpositioned. What would you do in that situation at home? Lunges to left or right? Double stair walking? I feel badly that she felt like she wasn't being heard. But I didn't know what to do to help. We were doing lots of position changes, she felt best laboring standing most of the time, got in the tub, etc. I just feel for her so much because she worked so hard for so long.
applejuice likes this.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#8 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Man, those brow babies are killer to try to push out. And a 11.6 frank breech? I know 10 is the gold standard for how much a woman is supposed to dilate, but there are times when dilation HAS to have gone beyond that. Otherwise, how do you explain the vaginal birth of some of these babies? Amie I'd say the leg pain was definitely a sign that baby was malpositioned, not just during labor, but through the whole pregnancy. I would have had the mom doing chiro visits after the first time she complained and on an as needed basis after that (as needed to be determined by the chiro with the moms input). If it escaped me until the birth, I would usually do stair crawling and if necessary a chiro visit during labor (the guy I work with in town is willing to do emergency visits at any time of the day or night for laboring moms). I know not everyone would have those resources, but during pregnancy there are exercises that can be done to move baby and swimming can help out as well. During labor, the lunges or stair activities can help out significantly.
#9 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 01:46 PM

Thanks jljeppson, that makes me feel better actually as I did rec chiropractic while she was still pregnant but I don't think she went because of $$. Which is such a shame that not all insurance pays for that stuff since it saves so much MORE money in the long run. Very cool that you have a chiro that will come during labor!! I also feel a bit better since stairs were not an option in the hospital (continuous monitoring/Pit) and I bet lunges would have been a tough sell. I am kicking myself for not recognizing it, but even more irritated that the actual midwife blew it off too. However there were lots of other factors leading to the section so I don't feel fixing the position would have necessarily "saved" her frome it. Ironically, my third was asynclitic after having chiro care the whole pregnancy so go figure. I think I managed to deliver her vaginally only because she was my third.

Do any of you have ideas for resources on how I can learn more about fetal positioning? I know about spinningbabies but specific stuff for during labor?

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#10 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

I would recommend Aligned and Well by Katy Bowman. It's not specifically for pregnancy and malpositioned babies but it's a dvd series that offer exercises, suggestions for improvement, and tips on what not to do when trying to strengthen and align your back and pelvis. You don't have to buy the whole thing, you can just buy the one that is specific to the problem you are working on. There is one for the pelvic floor, and it covers women that are postpartum and/or have had a c-section and would probably work for pregnant women as well. The ones I suggest to keep on hand are Down There for Women, Biomechanics for Strong Bones, Biomechanics for Bad Backs, and Smart Digestion. The ideal would be working on it before pregnancy, but starting during pregnancy is better than not at all!
#11 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljeppson View Post

Man, those brow babies are killer to try to push out. And a 11.6 frank breech? I know 10 is the gold standard for how much a woman is supposed to dilate, but there are times when dilation HAS to have gone beyond that. Otherwise, how do you explain the vaginal birth of some of these babies? Amie I'd say the leg pain was definitely a sign that baby was malpositioned, not just during labor, but through the whole pregnancy. I would have had the mom doing chiro visits after the first time she complained and on an as needed basis after that (as needed to be determined by the chiro with the moms input). If it escaped me until the birth, I would usually do stair crawling and if necessary a chiro visit during labor (the guy I work with in town is willing to do emergency visits at any time of the day or night for laboring moms). I know not everyone would have those resources, but during pregnancy there are exercises that can be done to move baby and swimming can help out as well. During labor, the lunges or stair activities can help out significantly.

I was reading thru old threads and wanted to say yes, leg pain is indication, at least for me, of an asynclitic baby.
During the first stage, I had pain shooting down the top of my right thigh.  I had an anterior cervical lip which my midwife massaged back during a ctx, and I pushed for an hour until she did that.

Baby's head pushed something inside, and my chiro fixed me up after a week of walking funny. I didn't realize that was what happened until after seeing my chiropractor.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page