CBE Programs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-31-2010, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which would you choose and why? I'm trying to decide to take a couple college classes in the fall semester or do CBE training. TIA!

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 07-31-2010, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Childbirth International because there are no classes to travel to, you teach as an independent CBE and can write your own classes, and it is a one time fee.
#3 of 17 Old 08-01-2010, 12:08 AM

Passion for Birth, www.passionforbirth.com and then I would sit for the Lamaze exam! I really like Lamaze and what it stands for and Teri Shilling's program will teach you to be a dynamic and engaging educator! Full disclosure: I am a PfB trainer!

Sharon

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
#4 of 17 Old 08-01-2010, 02:32 PM

I really enjoyed my training with CBI!
#5 of 17 Old 08-01-2010, 11:57 PM

I just started doing mine with Birth Arts International:

http://www.birtharts.com/cbe.htm

I had a hard time deciding between CBI and BAI but I just liked BAI better for what I was looking for. It is also less expensive and very flexible, while still being an awesome program.
#6 of 17 Old 08-02-2010, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I certified with CBI as well. I love that I was able to create my own class format.

Michelle
#7 of 17 Old 08-02-2010, 05:00 PM

I've done CAPPA, HypnoBirthing, and Hypnobabies Childbirth Hypnosis. The Hypnobabies training was the best and I love teaching the program. I get tons of referrals from local care providers because of how prepared my students are when it's time to give birth. IME, it was really hard to get business as a non-method CBE, but that may vary depending on where you are and where you plan to teach (hospital, OOH, etc.). Hypnobabies will be doing trainings again next year. If I were to do a non-hypnosis method, I would do Birthing from Within mentor training. It looks really neat.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#8 of 17 Old 08-02-2010, 05:51 PM

I would opt for a Lamaze program, and Passion for Birth is definitely a good option among many!

I transferred my certification to Lamaze from The Bradley Method, so I can't speak first-hand about the quality of the training, other than having taken other (wonderful) trainings from Terri Shilling. For me, one of the biggest reasons to choose Lamaze was the quality of their advocacy for normal, natural birth. With Amy Romano and others lending their voices to the birth world so eloquently, I want to be part of this organization that is really in a position to effect change! Also, I like the focus @ Lamaze these days on "normal," natural birth, even though they don't use those exact words anymore. I think we need more organizations that are actually advocating for this and working for change, instead of just supporting a broken system that sees the vast majority of women getting the drugs.
#9 of 17 Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritaserum View Post
I've done CAPPA, HypnoBirthing, and Hypnobabies Childbirth Hypnosis. The Hypnobabies training was the best and I love teaching the program. I get tons of referrals from local care providers because of how prepared my students are when it's time to give birth. IME, it was really hard to get business as a non-method CBE, but that may vary depending on where you are and where you plan to teach (hospital, OOH, etc.). Hypnobabies will be doing trainings again next year. If I were to do a non-hypnosis method, I would do Birthing from Within mentor training. It looks really neat.
I am longing to teach Hypnobabies someday! I am really hoping they will teach it nearby next year!
#10 of 17 Old 08-03-2010, 12:36 AM

I am a CBI graduate. I LOVE CBI! Very flexible and very friendly.

Vanessa, human of many awesome and not so awesome qualities. ; married to my Scorpio
mama to Ayden 6 years and Gena born 9/16/09
#11 of 17 Old 08-03-2010, 02:27 AM

I'm doing CAPPA right now. I think it's solid, but I would have preferred to do a workshop rather than the distance training. But that's my learning style, and more to do with the type of program than the organization.
#12 of 17 Old 08-03-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonBayDoula View Post
Passion for Birth, www.passionforbirth.com and then I would sit for the Lamaze exam! I really like Lamaze and what it stands for and Teri Shilling's program will teach you to be a dynamic and engaging educator! Full disclosure: I am a PfB trainer!

Sharon
Just went to a PfB workshop this weekend - it was fantastic and I highly recommend it. I also loved HypnoBabies for my own births and hope to do their training as well.
#13 of 17 Old 08-03-2010, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to be taking the BirthWorks training in October.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#14 of 17 Old 08-05-2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millefleur View Post
I am longing to teach Hypnobabies someday! I am really hoping they will teach it nearby next year!
FYI, there's an informational webinar next week (free) if you're curious about what the training entails.

Hypnobabies Instructor Training FAQ: Join us for our free Webinar on August 13

We invite you to join our webinar on Friday August 13th at 11 AM Pacific Time, where we will present information on our Hypnobabies Instructor Trainings. More information and signups here:

http://tinyurl.com/HypnobabiesWebinar

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#15 of 17 Old 08-05-2010, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritaserum View Post
FYI, there's an informational webinar next week (free) if you're curious about what the training entails.

Hypnobabies Instructor Training FAQ: Join us for our free Webinar on August 13

We invite you to join our webinar on Friday August 13th at 11 AM Pacific Time, where we will present information on our Hypnobabies Instructor Trainings. More information and signups here:

http://tinyurl.com/HypnobabiesWebinar
YAY! Thanks!
#16 of 17 Old 09-06-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millefleur View Post
I just started doing mine with Birth Arts International:

http://www.birtharts.com/cbe.htm

I had a hard time deciding between CBI and BAI but I just liked BAI better for what I was looking for. It is also less expensive and very flexible, while still being an awesome program.

Birth Arts totally rocks. I love my programs with them.
#17 of 17 Old 09-06-2010, 04:46 PM

Quite honestly I think it depends on what you want to do with your life. What are your career goals? What would you like to be with you 'grow up' (not saying you aren't a grown up, but that is the joke in our house since I am finally following my true passion at 41 yrs old).

From your post my understanding is not that you are looking specifically for a type of childbirth educator training, but more whether you should do that or go to college and again that depends on what your goals are and how much money you feel you want or need to make.

For me I am a doula, childbirth educator and massage therapist and quite honestly with the economy as bad as it is I am not making money. While I wish the world was one in which I didn't have to make money to follow a passion the truth is that it still is a career and I do need to make an income. So for me the choice was to go back to school and work towards a degree. I am currently working as a doula, working 3 days a month as a childbirth educator at a local hospital, only doing the occasional massage, and am back in school working on my nursing degree.

As for types of childbirth educator programs - I have taken a few and the one I liked the most was ICEA, but I think really all of that again depends on what you want to do and where you want to teach. If you want to teach independently then you need to see what the market is like where you live. Are families looking for a certain "type" of educator? If you are planning on working for a hospital then you need to see what qualifications they require as well.

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page