Frontier Bridge vs RN-BSN? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this question on a nursing forum, but have had no replies yet.

I am a recent ADN grad and former doula/CBE/assistant. I currently work in critical care. I'm enrolled in a completion program for RN-to-BSN, but it will take quite a while, especially while working. I realized I could just pursue my lifelong dream of Frontier, through their ADN-to-MSN bridge program.

But: I wonder, when an applicant for a CNM position has a Master's and a license/certificate, as well as experience/licensure as a nurse, would it matter if there were no bachelor's degree at all? I am in NYS but the regulations say only "baccalaureate or higher," which to me says that legally there's no problem, but in terms of prospective employers I wonder if this is practical.

I don't want to do things on the fast track or take the easy way out- quite the contrary. I want to get down to "real work," rather than take lower-level courses in subjects in which I am naturally strong but have no formal credit.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
#2 of 14 Old 08-11-2010, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm doing the ADN to MSN as well and bypassing the BSN. A BSN could be beneficial, I know some nurses work have both and work under the BSN for some positions rather then the MSN, but that is for things like floor nursing, etc... For me, the extra time it would take to get a BSN is not worth it. Frontier is well respected, it would be another thing if you were doing ADN to MSN in a lower ranked school.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 14 Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 PM

BSN will not matter once you have your MSN and CNM credentials. I am in a direct entry CNM program and won't have a BSN and none of our grads have problems being competitive in the job market.

Before you let go of your enrollment in the ADN-BSN program, just make sure that doing the Frontier program would actually take less time. But otherwise, I say go for the ADN-MSN program!
#4 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both!

Peony, in your experience applying to the Bridge, did many students have to wait for subsequent classes? I know the program is very popular, and if that will add to the time, it might not be the ideal choice for me in the long run either.

Thanks again!
#5 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 04:00 PM

I didn't end up with Frontier, still debating that decision daily right now! I am enrolled in a ADN to MSN education track program. I researched the heck out of all my options, I would love to be at Frontier but my family life can not currently handle the amount of clinical hours in a CNM or NP program. I decided to at least get myself up to a MSN level which would open up advancement options at my current place of employment and pursue a certificate in CNM later if they haven't bumped it up to a PhD level program yet like has been discussed and if they have, well at least I am at a MSN already. The education track that I choose only require 125 hours of practicum instead of the 750+ that Frontier requires, rightfully so, but just not possible for me until my children are older.

I know that currently that the next class Frontier has open starts in March. with an application deadline of Nov. I would suspect that if someone had not started on the application process yet, then *maybe* they could get into that March class if they were a strong applicant but I wouldn't be surprised if they had to wait for the next one.

#6 of 14 Old 08-24-2010, 08:34 PM

Peony, that's my concern, my kids. I'm looking at the bridge program as well, but I know it'll be at least 4 yrs before I can do it anyways so at least Olivia will be in school by then and we have a kick butt babysitter! I'm only working on my LPN now, graduate in May, and then will take another 2 yrs to get my RN, then a year of working L&D before applying.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#7 of 14 Old 08-25-2010, 01:58 AM

sorry to hijack but may I ask Peony what program you are in for your ADN-MSN bridge? Thanks!

Melissa, L&D RN now...aspiring midwife-2-B,
20yo DS, 7yo DD, almost 2 yo DD, 1yo GDD
#8 of 14 Old 08-25-2010, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

"hijack" away! I'd be interested to hear about other options, too.
#9 of 14 Old 08-25-2010, 02:03 PM

I went with Walden after much debate but now I am deferring again due to serious family illness (FIL with CHF, he is in surgery yet again as I type this, the second in two months) because I am the one that has to handle everything with him. In my limited experience with Walden, I have been quite pleased with them. There are numerous ADN to MSN programs out there but I personally wanted one that focused heavily on nursing, so many of them wanted numerous fine arts credits, or other classes that did not interest me. Walden walked me though every step of applying, I have a regular advisor and a nursing advisor, response time has always been very prompt. They have an online pre-class that you take before your regular classes start to get you used to their format. I had started applying for different program and was not impressed with the answers and the advisors, it felt very impersonal and since I do need an online program, I wanted one that would be there for me when I needed it. I am hoping that FIL will be in rehab at a nursing home soon and then life will improve and I can continue with my studies instead of spending all my time fighting with fellow medical staff about his care.

#10 of 14 Old 08-25-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time to write while supporting your FIL and family. I hope his health improves soon.
#11 of 14 Old 08-26-2010, 12:29 PM

So for those of you who have a ADN, did you attend a local community college?

Thanks
Jes
#12 of 14 Old 08-26-2010, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewDoula View Post

Thanks
Jes
Yes, and it was an excellent experience. Shop carefully, though, because another community college in my area is very hard on students and has a high failure rate. My school was extremely supportive in general and the nursing program in particular was able to maintain high standards while being flexible with its students. The college also had a phenomenal daycare and I couldn't have done it without that- not only was it inexpensive but it was such a caring, loving environment that I kept my son there instead of sending him to kindergarten. I also believe in the mission of the community college so I am partial to supporting them if possible.
#13 of 14 Old 08-26-2010, 04:38 PM

Community college here as well. I live in a very rural area so community college was my only option, I wasn't able to shop around, back to lack of options but my experience was fine, certainly better then moving! We had no students that dropped out of a class of 32 which was very abnormal, and everyone but 2 I think passed the NCLEX. It wasn't easy at all, but worth it and affordable. I didn't have kids then but daycare was a big issue for some in my class, the school had no daycare then, now they have limited daycare but only for kids age 1-3 certain days of the week.

#14 of 14 Old 08-26-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewDoula View Post
No. I'm doing my LPN at a private all women's university and plan on doing my ADN there too.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page