Any one else getting strange/fishing emails for their services? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2010, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll admit that I've put my email out there on several websites for potential clients to contact me, and I've gotten my fair share of offers to assist in international funds transfers in response.

But recently I've gotten strange emails from supposed husbands requesting my services. One was very controlling in his verbiage and thankfully didn't respond back to my questioning of his assertions.

The one yesterday has me more concerned. It had lots of different grammar errors, but used an extensive vocabulary typical of the internation fund transfer scam emails. Thing is this guy responded back and both times asked for my street address and age along with other details. I didn't respond to his requests and said I was booked for the date he needed.

Anyone else have this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2010, 09:23 AM

I haven't had it happen yet, because I haven't gone there yet, with my email...but I'm getting ready to do so, and have wondered about this very thing (and other spamming) occurring. So I hope more here will respond to this.

In general, though, I don't much like being contacted by the husband first--although this is traditional for some religious people. There is only so much I will say via email or phone with a 'cold contact'--general things about my practice/philosophy/training--then say 'we should meet'. I've had some real headaches (with actual clients seeking services) when the dad takes the lead in his wife's care.

It really does sound like this person is not for real. The other thing I try to do is follow my gut, on all contacts. I'd rather lose the occasional 'real and possibly good client' than deal too closely with the occasional controlling dad-or real stalker/spammer!
Old 09-13-2010, 12:15 PM

Oh I have had that happen a few times and it is a scam. If someone can't meet me in person then I have no interest in pursuing anything further. I will respond back to their initial email with a little information (usually referring them to my website) and then telling them if they are still interested then they can call me or email to set up a meeting.

If a man contacts me I am very polite and explain to him that I will need to speak with his wife before meeting since most of my meetings are held in their homes and for safety purposes. I haven't had a dad yet flip out over that - most of the time they laugh and say they didn't realize, but it was a good point and they hand the phone over to their wife right away.

Michelle married to my highschool sweetheart and mom to: DD '88, DS '90, DD '91, DD '94, DD '97, DD '98, DD '01, DD '08, and DS'09

(Non-profit Organization Director and Program Coordinator / Doula / Educator / Massage Therapist)

Old 09-13-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynFL View Post
I'll admit that I've put my email out there on several websites for potential clients to contact me, and I've gotten my fair share of offers to assist in international funds transfers in response.

But recently I've gotten strange emails from supposed husbands requesting my services. One was very controlling in his verbiage and thankfully didn't respond back to my questioning of his assertions.

The one yesterday has me more concerned. It had lots of different grammar errors, but used an extensive vocabulary typical of the internation fund transfer scam emails. Thing is this guy responded back and both times asked for my street address and age along with other details. I didn't respond to his requests and said I was booked for the date he needed.

Anyone else have this happen?
Yes, I saw a thread about this scam going around on another message board. Lots of doulas had received a similar email.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
Old 09-13-2010, 08:02 PM

My husband is an artist and had a man contact him to buy a painting for his pregnant wife. It was a really interesting interaction... we though we had sold a $2,000 painting. It was a scam. We finally figured it out. This sounds similar.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

User Tag List